2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And apologised, tried to make amends and moved on. 

Folau isn't on step 1 yet.

Fury’s comments were much much worse about gays, women, Jews etc and for him just to apologise and say I didn’t mean to cause offence is enough for you then you should cut Folau some slack. Fury is Christian so his apology is fake.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Israel Folau has the chance to turn his signing into a positive. If he stops making offensive remarks on the social media, and manages to regain his pre-rugby union form, or at least 80% of it, he will become one of the most admired stars of the game. At that point many formerly lukewarm rugby league fans will start watching Catalans on television, and even turn up to a stadium, to watch him play.

He said offensive homophobic comments while employed by Australia RU. They gave him a formal written warning and released a statement that was agreed with Folau that the comments were wrong, apologies were made and he remained a RU player. Then Folau just said it all again.

Making offensive remarks is in Folau's DNA, it defines his deeply held beliefs. 

He might manage to last a one-year contract without saying anything offensive that's new but what odds would you put on that happening? 

Personally, I think he's perfectly entitled to air any opinion he likes, and people are perfectly entitled to respond to those opinions appropriately. Employing him is not the correct response if you strongly disagree with those views.

Edited by RMBJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Even here in Australia it's mostly manufactured outrage. The vast majority of your average punters (at least 70%) couldn't give a what some loony fundamentalist says.

Which leads to a more interesting question: How is it that people in such an extreme minority of political and philosophical thought have come to have so much power in society? 

The left is running rampant and everyone is scared to say anything to them, there is 4% of men in the UK that are gay apparently , how many of that % are interested in RL I’ve no idea. The BBC are leading the charge on everything left as far as I see , if we say it’s ok to be obese or identify as a transgender penguin we are heading down a path that looks very dangerous to me. Old school values are not ALL wrong and people should be able to stand up to say that without been shot down.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bert1 said:

Fury’s comments were much much worse about gays, women, Jews etc and for him just to apologise and say I didn’t mean to cause offence is enough for you then you should cut Folau some slack. Fury is Christian so his apology is fake.

Fury has apologised, distanced himself from the comments, said he was wrong and attempted to make amends. Things that Folau crucially has not done.

Regardless, no rugby league club has signed Tyson Fury. One has signed Israel Folau

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

That isn't the same as saying LBGT people aren't welcome in RL , he has stated his belief of what happens after everybody's ' final whistle ' , not what he wants before that 

It's not as black and white as that though is it.

Yes, he hasn't said gay people are bot welcome in RL but he has said they need to 'repent' in order to save their eternal souls.

The idea that gay people need to repent inherently shows that he (and all fundamental Christians plus other religions) believe that being gay is wrong and being gay is wrong and unnatural. 

It is these types of messages about homosexuality being wrong and unnatural, perpetuated by the influence of the church, which breeds intolerance and more dangerous homophobia. 

Folau may sincerely believe what he is saying is saving people's souls but the underlying message is that homosexuality is wrong and sinful which is not the message that a progressive and inclusive sport such as Rugby League should be associated with.

Rugby League should welcome all people and that includes fundamental Christians but that should not be a license for these people to then publicly label other parts of our community as sinful or unnatural. 

Folau has done this but not under the banner of Rugby League. 

I would prefer we didn't welcome him in but as he is here I hope he remains the hypocrite he has shown himself to be and keeps his mouth shut.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Bert1 said:

And I am pointing out he has done and said things which are positive but you don’t want to accept that. Which makes me wonder is it genuine outrage? Or not? If people are rightly offended then they also should accept the positives if not then it’s just an agenda and nothing Folau will do will make a difference.

I'm not really sure of the point you are making.

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

The left is running rampant and everyone is scared to say anything to them, there is 4% of men in the UK that are gay apparently , how many of that % are interested in RL I’ve no idea. The BBC are leading the charge on everything left as far as I see , if we say it’s ok to be obese or identify as a transgender penguin we are heading down a path that looks very dangerous to me. Old school values are not ALL wrong and people should be able to stand up to say that without been shot down.

Look at the demonisation of Jordan Peterson. He was smeared, misrepresented and no-platformed for having the 'audacity' to say the Left were getting out of control.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, he hasn't said gay people are bot welcome in RL but he has said they need to 'repent' in order to save their eternal souls.

The idea that gay people need to repent inherently shows that he (and all fundamental Christians plus other religions) believe that being gay is wrong and being gay is wrong and unnatural. 

It is these types of messages about homosexuality being wrong and unnatural, perpetuated by the influence of the church, which breeds intolerance and more dangerous homophobia. 

Folau may sincerely believe what he is saying is saving people's souls but the underlying message is that homosexuality is wrong and sinful which is not the message that a progressive and inclusive sport such as Rugby League should be associated with.

Rugby League should welcome all people and that includes fundamental Christians but that should not be a license for these people to then publicly label other parts of our community as sinful or unnatural. 

I would prefer we didn't welcome him in but as he is here I hope he remains the hypocrite he has shown himself to be and keeps his mouth shut.

Totally agree. 

You know its bad when even the Pope thinks you're too conservative in your views.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They just employed somebody with an animal ' fetish ' , nice 

Great. What is the point?

1 minute ago, RMBJ said:

Look at the demonisation of Jordan Peterson. He was smeared, misrepresented and no-platformed for having the 'audacity' to say the Left were getting out of control.

I think that is different though. I don't agree with Peterson's deplatforming at all. I'm all for free speech and discussion of ideas which some at universities are deeply wary of.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of judgement by others on that speech.

9 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

Personally, I think he's perfectly entitled to air any opinion he likes, and people are perfectly entitled to respond to those opinions appropriately. Employing him is not the correct response if you strongly disagree with those views.

I think this is very well put.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He wants me to repent as well , along with the vast majority of the human population , he's a nutjob , so are we to banish all nutjobs from our sport ? , Not be enough to fill a squad at Toro to if we did 

The Tonga team wowed the RL World Cup. Wonder if any of them hold fundamental Christian ideology?

• Thanks 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

6 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

I love Jordan Peterson

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Great. What is the point?

Your club employed a player who smeared peanut butter on his todger and then filmed his dog licking it off , the point is there's all sorts of strange people out there with some very strange ideas about what's right or wrong , just where do you draw the line ? 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

He wants me to repent as well , along with the vast majority of the human population , he's a nutjob , so are we to banish all nutjobs from our sport ? , Not be enough to fill a squad at Toro to if we did 

We should banish all nutjobs who damage our sports/league/clubs reputations now and going forwards as that is detrimental.

Folau is the highest profile one to air how much of a nutjob he is!

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The Tonga team wowed the RL World Cup. Wonder if any of them hold fundamental Christian ideology?

Of course that seems a reasonable proposal. None of them have used their profile and platform to share and promote those views though have they?

2 minutes ago, iangidds said:

I love Jordan Peterson

Not in a sexual way I may add ☺️

8 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

That and being a plank.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Tommygilf said:

We should banish all nutjobs who damage our sports/league/clubs reputations now and going forwards as that is detrimental.

Yes , when he wasn't a RL player , and he has now stated he won't do it again , just what punishment do you think he deserves ?

This furore reminds me of the Ched Evans case. Everybody and his superficial auntie climbed on board the bus to denigrate him after a trial that had obviously delivered a dodgy verdict.

I didn't notice any clamour of apologies when his sentence was quashed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fury has apologised, distanced himself from the comments, said he was wrong and attempted to make amends. Things that Folau crucially has not done.

Regardless, no rugby league club has signed Tyson Fury. One has signed Israel Folau

Since when do fake apologises make up for slagging off an entire group of people?  Whether you agree with his views of not, at least Folau is man enough to stand by what he says instead of bending down to the people who sit and wait on social media to be offended by something. 

Edited by Keith989
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Your club employed a player who smeared peanut butter on his todger and then filmed his dog licking it off , the point is there's all sorts of strange people out there with some very strange ideas about what's right or wrong , just where do you draw the line ? 

Was it a Cocker?

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Like Zac , like Bailey , like half the Aussies we employ ?

Anyway work to be done , I don't get paid for sitting at a desk posting on a RL forum all day 

Be back later with perhaps more than the 200 replies that were waiting yesterday 

Storm in a teacup comes to mind 

• Haha 1

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Yes , when he wasn't a RL player , and he has now stated he won't do it again , just what punishment do you think he deserves ?

I think should apologise and take back what he said, remove the social media posts and then find a job in Japanese RU or wherever. He'll be gone from our comp by the end of October to a payday in French or Japanese RU and we'll have been left with all the bad press and our reputation for being a friendly space tarnished.

• Like 1