1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

So, for the avoidance of any doubt, could anyone who agrees with Folaus’ views, or maybe thinks he’s not so bad, come forward? 

Screenshot_20200130-205010_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

No, although I would be happy if he was. I had several discussions with him when he was with the Crusaders and he always seemed both intelligent and genuine.

I'm sure he's genuinely gay too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Not everyone has to agree with you, they can think he’s an idiot without thinking he should be banned from the game. Personally I’m of the opinion he should not be in RL but I aren’t making that decision.

We head down a dangerous path when we have people declaring how strongly you should react to a certain incident. 

We would if that is what is happening. I'm not really sure what you are referring to. 

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

So, for the avoidance of any doubt, could anyone who agrees with Folaus’ views, or maybe thinks he’s not so bad, come forward? 

Perhaps we can have a poll!

Usual 

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Not everyone has to agree with you, they can think he’s an idiot without thinking he should be banned from the game. Personally I’m of the opinion he should not be in RL but I aren’t making that decision.

We head down a dangerous path when we have people declaring how strongly you should react to a certain incident. 

Its a usual social media brigade guilty by association tool. If you are not the right amount of outraged or seem to be defending the opposite position you are the guilty of the offence yourself. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Not in the wider context of this thread, but in the context of Dave T's comment about me, it is.

How so?

LIke, genuinely.

2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Screenshot_20200130-205010_Chrome.jpg

The passage he quotes is from Corinthians. A part of a set of letters not written by Jesus (indeed written some time after his death) but included in a bible that was presided over by a pagan roman emperor and his mother at the Council of Nicaea.

My earlier post  in regard to do gooders was in support of Folau.He should be allowed to play again.Folau has not attacked anyone he just made  a quote from the bible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The above quotes are from the very first page. Ian's comments are absolutely a defence of him spouting those views and received 7 likes.  

Number16's quote was a criticism of Folau being criticised. Another 5 likes. 

frank's post was also a response to condemnation of Folau. 

This was all in the first half a page or so, I didn't bother quoting after that. I haven't even bothered to quote AJ as I would be here all day. 

I remember Gareth Thomas getting some abuse at Cas (IIRC), maybe our fan-base aint as open-minded as we like to believe.  Incidentally he posted yesterday that he will not be watching any RL games with Folau in. Again, he mustn't be Martyn Sadler's mate. 

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The above quotes are from the very first page. Ian's comments are absolutely a defence of him spouting those views and received 7 likes.  

Number16's quote was a criticism of Folau being criticised. Another 5 likes. 

frank's post was also a response to condemnation of Folau. 

This was all in the first half a page or so, I didn't bother quoting after that. I haven't even bothered to quote AJ as I would be here all day. 

I remember Gareth Thomas getting some abuse at Cas (IIRC), maybe our fan-base aint as open-minded as we like to believe.  Incidentally he posted yesterday that he will not be watching any RL games with Folau in. Again, he mustn't be Martyn Sadler's mate. 

I’m not defending Falau’s words , I understand them from his perspective; I can’t stand religion. I understand that religion is a big part of some people’s lives and they are very clear what the faith teaches them, In today’s society it’s impossible not to offend others with views and actions; I’m sure the Christians and other religions are hugely offended by comments and actions of the LBGT community but they are not allowed to say anything. No one I have seen is defending all he (Falau ) has to say but appreciate his position and his desire to spread the word of a god he holds very dearly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The passage he quotes is from Corinthians. A part of a set of letters not written by Jesus (indeed written some time after his death) but included in a bible that was presided over by a pagan roman emperor and his mother at the Council of Nicaea.

Don't remember Jesus being responsible for writing any of the bible 

And I was also hinting this is  thr guy folau is trying to keep faith with (literally)

Edited by aj1908

2 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Usual 

Its a usual social media brigade guilty by association tool. If you are not the right amount of outraged or seem to be defending the opposite position you are the guilty of the offence yourself. 

People can believe what they want, but if we had a thread about Tommy Robinson for example and we had a load of posters defending his views as not as bad as armed robbery, and spending an awful lot of time attacking people who are critical of Tommy Robinson then I would find that most odd. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, frank said:

My earlier post  in regard to do gooders was in support of Folau.He should be allowed to play again.Folau has not attacked anyone he just made  a quote from the bible.

Thanks for clarifying frank.

47 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Yes freedom of speech is not freedom to insult or incite bigotry

That's the whole thing in a nutshell.  Very straightforward and easy to understand (you'd think!)

• Like 1

A quick summary;

Everyone* on the thread agrees Folau's views are wrong. Most describe them as offensive.

Everyone agrees he has a right to have those views, however some think he doesn't have the right to say them.

A majority of those expressing an opinion think that employing Folau after he has made those views public is a bad idea.

Strawmen comparisons with other individuals that have committed crimes against other individuals is bad logic and a silly distraction.

Anything else?

* Except Frank

Edited by RMBJ

3 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

A quick summary;

Everyone on the thread agrees Folau's views are wrong. Most describe them as offensive.

Everyone agrees he has a right to have those views, however some think he doesn't have the right to say them.

A majority of those expressing an opinion think that employing Folau after he has made those views public is a bad idea.

Strawmen comparisons with other individuals that have committed crimes against other individuals is bad logic and a silly distraction.

Anything else?

The end........__

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

A quick summary;

Everyone on the thread agrees Folau's views are wrong. Most describe them as offensive.

Anything else?

Other comments were on how cats/SL can protect themselves from fallout if it all goes south as nobody wants payouts like ARU had to payout

9 minutes ago, Swansea Jack said:

Rugby League is in the spotlight again. Even in my local pub which is 99% Union.

Yeh.  With sbw and folau in super league Its one of the most exciting super league seaaons in years 

Finally some decent imports and not the usual nrl cast offs 

And they signed for expansion clubs too even better

Edited by aj1908
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SSoutherner said:

Other comments were on how cats/SL can protect themselves from fallout if it all goes south as nobody wants payouts like ARU had to payout

I think we all know the easy way to avoid a payout.

Such a difference between the nrl and super league fans 

The vast majority of nrl fans were disgusted with his ban and wanted him to play. 

5 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Such a difference between the nrl and super league fans 

The vast majority of nrl fans were disgusted with his ban and wanted him to play. 

Makes you proud to be British. 🇬🇧🏳️‍🌈

Edited by RMBJ
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

How so?

LIke, genuinely.

You appeared to suggest that because you imagine I would disagree with Gareth Thomas, therefore he wouldn't be my mate.

I find it very easy to be friends with people I disagree with on some issues.

46 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

I havent finished my bible reading yet 

It's okay. The ending leaves it open for a sequel.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

You appeared to suggest that because you imagine I would disagree with Gareth Thomas, therefore he wouldn't be my mate.

I find it very easy to be friends with people I disagree with on some issues.

It was a tongue-in-cheek point about the fact that you provided your gay mate as an example of an RL fan who welcomes Folau's signing and can't wait to watch him. I have provided two examples of gay RL personalities who feel quite strongly the opposite - hence they are not your mate that you are quoting.

I know that you were posting as an individual and not as Editor, but can I ask have you sourced views from other gay personalities involved in RL for their views on this Martyn?