Jump to content

Shaun Wane’s first England squad (merged threads)


Recommended Posts

Which players who weren’t picked by Wayne ‘NRL First’ Bennett for his England/Great Britain/Great England squads should be considered by Wane?

Liam Watts, obvs. I’d be looking very closely at Josh Griffin at centre and Andre Savelio at loose forward (two positions where we weren’t exactly spoiled for choice under Bennett). Mike Cooper is knocking on the door loudly for a recall.  

Any others? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Liam Watts, obvs. I’d be looking very closely at Josh Griffin at centre and Andre Savelio at loose forward (two positions where we weren’t exactly spoiled for choice under Bennett). Mike Cooper

 

5 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Tom Johnstone

 

7 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

Jake Trueman

Agree with these . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Savelio has looked terrific in two games. Let's see if he keeps it up for a few months (i.e. doesn't get bored like he usually does) before putting him in an England shirt.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Sam Tomkins

Bizarrely, I would seriously look at Sam Tomkins as England full-back and actually make him captain. Put him there and leave him until the World Cup. The other candidates for full back simply haven't shown what it takes to provide that link in the spine. 

Widdop would make sense but he just isn't cutting it in the spotlight of a national jersey. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Widdop would be my captain . He was an excellent captain and leader by example in the NRL , and you can say he hasn’t replicated that consistently for England but he hasn’t been the only one in Bennett’s systems . Our halves rarely seemed to show anything like they can . He did it week in week out at the highest level . The only thing is he’s got to stay fit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First thing for me is to select a squad that has the best chance of success in the Ashes series. 

This is a massive series.  Firstly because any series against the Australians is huge and secondly a success (or even a very competitive series) would set the sport up for a massive 2021 and the World Cup.  A 3 - zip defeat and some disappointing score lines would deflate the positive mood very very quickly.

So with that in mind, I would select the players who are the best options in the Autumn even if they may not be 12 months later.

If the likes of Widdop, Graham & Roby are the best options this year then pick them (although I am not sure Graham will be the best option if all of our middles are fit and firing).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know he’s a complete warrior but I wouldn’t be picking Graham anymore . To me his impact and yardage has dropped off and he’s playing more n more busted . We have better options now who are a real handful . Fitting him in at loose forward was rubbish as well 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Widdop would be my captain . He was an excellent captain and leader by example in the NRL , and you can say he hasn’t replicated that consistently for England but he hasn’t been the only one in Bennett’s systems . Our halves rarely seemed to show anything like they can . He did it week in week out at the highest level . The only thing is he’s got to stay fit 

Think Graham will be captain. He’ll be 36 come next years World Cup and I’m sure he’d like to bow out with a WC winners medal and 50th cap

Link to comment
Share on other sites

England needs new players.

Widdop and Roby for all of their backers have won not much against Australia, Roby is well passed his best days, Widdop is hot and cold.
Graham is gone, he looked shot in last years GB Tour.

 

 

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

England needs new players.

Widdop and Roby for all of their backers have won not much against Australia, Roby is well passed his best days, Widdop is hot and cold.
Graham is gone, he looked shot in last years GB Tour.

 

 

Roby is a must for the next 2 year - Still the best player in SL and an ideal foil for Clark.

We do need new wingers but keep the likes of Roby and bring in Sam Tomkins with some younger players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Allora said:

England needs new players.

Widdop and Roby for all of their backers have won not much against Australia, Roby is well passed his best days, Widdop is hot and cold.
Graham is gone, he looked shot in last years GB Tour.

 

 

If we're been technical, no one in the England squad has won anything against Australia other than Roby! As Roby played in the last game we beat them (2006 in Sydney).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Roby is a must for the next 2 year - Still the best player in SL and an ideal foil for Clark.

We do need new wingers but keep the likes of Roby and bring in Sam Tomkins with some younger players.

Roby will be nearly 36 at the next World Cup, he may look ok in SL but will be exposed at his age in the Test arena.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Allora said:

Roby will be nearly 36 at the next World Cup, he may look ok in SL but will be exposed at his age in the Test arena.

Dont agree marra but each to their own.

He is a better player than Clark but Clark coming on for Roby would shake things up so a great contrast.

Both head and shoulders above Hodgson who was an average player in SL and for some reason the Aussies think hes a world beater- Houghton is better than Hodgson and would be my 3rd choice.

Aussies have never gotten the better of Roby - some players are made for playing against the Aussies... always remember they could never handle Eorl Crabtree even though he wasnt one of our best props. Same with Ryan Hall - always scored against the Aussies.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

Do not pick Graham, Hill and Hall and I'm happy. 

Regarding the upcoming 3 test ashes series - what will be considered a good result for England and Shaun Wane? Realistically!

acceptable = to make Australia have to win the 3rd test to regain the Ashes

achievement = 2-1 win

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...