Jump to content
Wakefield Ram

Greatest Dewsbury Players - top three hookers

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Mick Stephenson will be my top pick, but Neil Kelly will be in contention. 

Chappy


Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

 

George Bernard Shaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly enough, as an actual hooker, Mick Stephenson was reputed to be quite average, winning less ball than most. It was his skills in the loose that made him stand out.

Edited by Blind side johnny

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Richard Chapman

2. Jimmy Elston 

3. Wayne Collins

Others; Glen Coughlan, Wayne Godwin, Kane Bentley, Richard Pachniuk, Kurt Rudder, Andrew Lippiatt, David O'Donnell 

Adam O'Brien (on loan from Bradford)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

1. Richard Chapman

2. Jimmy Elston 

3. Wayne Collins

Others; Glen Coughlan, Wayne Godwin, Kane Bentley, Richard Pachniuk, Kurt Rudder, Andrew Lippiatt, David O'Donnell 

Adam O'Brien (on loan from Bradford)

Did Paul Delaney play hooker?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NickD said:

Did Paul Delaney play hooker?   

Yes he did but played mainly at stand-off and sometimes at loose-forward

Edited by DewsburyRams4ever
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Ian Bates was very good in the early/mid nineties. Wasn’t the biggest bloke but tackled anything that moved.

He loved a good scrap

Edited by DewsburyRams4ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

Yes he did but played mainly at stand-off and sometimes at loose-forward

Ta.  Think I might pop in my hooker group.  Feel I need him in somewhere and he didn’t get in my top three 6’s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

He loved a good scrap

Bates was a great little hooker, but for scrapping, gotta be Bungys mate in the front row, Tony Disken. Ned was a great ball player from dummy half, if he had more pace would have been awesome in that position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

1. Richard Chapman

2. Jimmy Elston 

3. Wayne Collins

Others; Glen Coughlan, Wayne Godwin, Kane Bentley, Richard Pachniuk, Kurt Rudder, Andrew Lippiatt, David O'Donnell 

Adam O'Brien (on loan from Bradford)

Richard Pachniuk 

was best hooker in nfp for 5 years with Hunslet and dewsbury and Wayne Collins gets in over him 😂🤦🏻‍♂️
 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Richard Pachniuk 

was best hooker in nfp for 5 years with Hunslet and dewsbury and Wayne Collins gets in over him 😂🤦🏻‍♂️
 

 

Didn’t Collins make over 100 NRL appearances and also play for the Rhinos?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrBungle said:

. Ned was a great ball player from dummy half, if he had more pace would have been awesome in that position.

That he would...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heckler said:

Didn’t Collins make over 100 NRL appearances and also play for the Rhinos?

Yes he did but how many times did he play for us? I reckon you can count on one hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Oddly enough, as an actual hooker, Mick Stephenson was reputed to be quite average, winning less ball than most. It was his skills in the loose that made him stand out.

I agree, but what skills. He was considered the best hooker in the world during his peak, and was his transfer a world record at the time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I agree, but what skills. He was considered the best hooker in the world during his peak, and was his transfer a world record at the time?

It was, and the money was wisely used - Steve Brunyee, Ben Fowler and Terry Biscombe. Legends in their own lunch break. 🥱😫

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

 

George Bernard Shaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Yes he did but how many times did he play for us? I reckon you can count on one hand.

One finger even😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mick Stephenson.......... head & shoulders above anyone else.........massive work rate, leader,  AND an 80 minute player

Ray Price .......... not mentioned (yet) by anyone else but I always admired his play & commitment

Richard Chapman ...... a more 'modern day' favourite, grafter and hard as nails.... With more than his fair share of tries 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

Yes he did but how many times did he play for us? I reckon you can count on one hand.

Sid Domic only played a few games for us then got injured, yet he was absolute class. The same goes for Wayne Collins but hey that's only my opinion!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

Mick Stephenson.......... head & shoulders above anyone else.........massive work rate, leader,  AND an 80 minute player

Ray Price .......... not mentioned (yet) by anyone else but I always admired his play & commitment

Richard Chapman ...... a more 'modern day' favourite, grafter and hard as nails.... With more than his fair share of tries 

If you had left Ray Price off the list his wife would have had something to say about it.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one is really difficult because the hookers role has changed so much ..... for me the best hooker ( ball winner by a mile ) was Peter Mullins .... then of course Mick Stephenson was the cross over .. not the best ball winner ..but great in the loose .. would still have been a great in todays game!  Struggling with my 3rd choice!!   .... but for try scoring and craft Sam Day must be worth a mention!!  ..... I always thought Finny played more like a hooker than a half back!!  ...Ray Price was pretty good as was Roy Firth as was Ned .. Godwin was past his best when we had him ...... anyway need to think about No 3

so..

1. Mick Stephenson

2. Peter Mullins

3. ???? ... watch this space!

Edited by the old nine ole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

If you had left Ray Price off the list his wife would have had something to say about it.

You've lost me BSJ ?? 😵😵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourites are:

Mick Stephenson

Peter Mullins

Allen Lockwood

plus, we can’t forget Neil Kelly, Ray Price, Roy Firth, Richard Chapman, Richard Pachniuk and Jimbob Elston. 


Legs, Dews, Legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NickD said:

Ta.  Think I might pop in my hooker group.  Feel I need him in somewhere and he didn’t get in my top three 6’s. 

I will add a Greatest Utility player

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...