Jump to content

Championship and League 1 clubs accept null and void reality


Recommended Posts


7 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Does not quite tally with the rallying call from the Featherstone Chairman also reported by RLE...

It would seem that the teams that could reasonably hope to get promoted - Leigh, Fev and London - want, understandably, to play on. Most of the rest, understandably, don't.

Not sure how they find a consensus there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

It would seem that the teams that could reasonably hope to get promoted - Leigh, Fev and London - want, understandably, to play on. Most of the rest, understandably, don't.

Not sure how they find a consensus there. 

This is the problem with having a mix of FT and PT. FT will obviously want to play on

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

This is the problem with having a mix of FT and PT. FT will obviously want to play on

The ones that have spent most will want to play on, surely not?

I didn't get that impression from Danny Ward though, I think his focus was on promtion staying in place not relegation but when it seemed safe.

We all know that things will not be safe without a vaccine so whether we play on or not may be a choice of risk - reward, economic survival and death.

 

Edited by Oxford

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Not sure how they find a consensus there. 

The RFL just void the season and those that don't like it shut up.

Done.

  • Like 8

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

It would seem that the teams that could reasonably hope to get promoted - Leigh, Fev and London - want, understandably, to play on. Most of the rest, understandably, don't.

Not sure how they find a consensus there. 

They don't , the Championship won't resume this year 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They don't , the Championship won't resume this year 

 

Yes, that seems the likely outcome unless some more money for the smaller clubs is found. Even then, part-time players may be much less inclined to take the physical risk of going back into a contact environment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Toby Chopra said:

Fev are mostly part time, no?  I believe they want to play on unless others know different   

Taking out Toulouse due to location still leaves 13 other clubs in the Championship meaning 13 different situations and positions to organise , not happening 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Yes, that seems the likely outcome unless some more money for the smaller clubs is found. Even then, part-time players may be much less inclined to take the physical risk of going back into a contact environment.

Clubs won't be able to afford the insurance.

  • Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously different respects for different clubs, the main discussion points in the coming meeting will be as in the last two paragraphs of the report:-

There is also an element of uncertainty over the period of furlough, which could leave clubs with more financial responsibility, though it may be neutralised by salary reductions.

Additionally, there is a sense of responsibility to season ticket holders and clubs are aware that they could have to pay out refunds on income they have already accounted for. Clubs are fearful of the implications should fans ask for refunds.

The matter is set to be further discussed this week.

1. Contracted players and moreso full time player's are soley dependent on their wage through their clubs, if the government 'furlough' scheme ceases then there will be big problems for some clubs.

2. I cannot speak for other clubs as I don't  know the numbers involved, but a rough estimation if Leigh had to refund ST holders it would be £250K ish, coupled with honouring contracts could be devastating.

As I have said before, I don't think we will see any Rugby anytime soon, but that is not a 100% definate yet so the meeting will have to go ahead, I think that the RFL has to be involved such is the diverse obligations from club to club in the Championship, it is not as simple as all stop or all carry on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the season is voided a lot of clubs are going to be needing some very understanding season ticket holders. The better supported clubs will have taken six figures in season ticket sales and trying to refund them would probably be ruinous for some clubs.

Edited to add - I posted this almost simultaneously to Harry Stottle's post above without having read it.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Off course another consideration, but again is that all clubs?

Obviously I can't say with 100% certainty but, from what I've heard from even well-heeled non league football clubs, I'd be surprised if any could afford it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Taking out Toulouse due to location still leaves 13 other clubs in the Championship meaning 13 different situations and positions to organise , not happening 

Interestingly reading the report from Mr Johnson's speech last night and his proposed isolation of 14 days for anyone coming into the country, it does NOT apply to France or Ireland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If the season is voided a lot of clubs are going to be needing some very understanding season ticket holders. The better supported clubs will have taken six figures in season ticket sales and trying to refund them would probably be ruinous for some clubs.

Edited to add - I posted this almost simultaneously to Harry Stottle's post above without having read it.

If it helps their club survive you’d hope a large number would except alternatives to refunds,discounts spread over a few years for example.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Rugby League season should be postponed until next year,every league in every country. Unlike football where the majority of the season had been played it is not really important that the season is finished as soon as possible. I do understand the financial implications but if you are dead then you can't play anyway regardless of how much money you have. There is no reason why it can't restart in February. Maybe the challenge cup could be played behind closed doors towards the end of the year but apart from that there is nothing that really needs completing. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really think the "we want refunds for our season tickets" brigade should be ostracized from the fanbase. Its a relatively small outlay which clubs will almost certainly bring in measures to compensate in future. Season ticket holders doing that would be actively destroying their club and should not be considered "supporters" by any stretch.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I really think the "we want refunds for our season tickets" brigade should be ostracized from the fanbase. Its a relatively small outlay which clubs will almost certainly bring in measures to compensate in future. Season ticket holders doing that would be actively destroying their club and should not be considered "supporters" by any stretch.

I am a season ticket holder and am experiencing no urgent desire to recoup the cost of the two tickets I bought but not everyone will be the same. What if you have paid out for 4 or 5 season tickets you didn't get use of and have since lost your job as your employer/business ceased to exist? Everyone's situation will be different and we shouldn't make sweeping judgements on people. No doubt the clubs will make some measures to compensate season ticket holders from a goodwill point of view at least.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, wiganermike said:

I am a season ticket holder and am experiencing no urgent desire to recoup the cost of the two tickets I bought but not everyone will be the same. What if you have paid out for 4 or 5 season tickets you didn't get use of and have since lost your job as your employer/business ceased to exist? Everyone's situation will be different and we shouldn't make sweeping judgements on people. No doubt the clubs will make some measures to compensate season ticket holders from a goodwill point of view at least.

Thats a strawman and in any case would expect those people to do it quietly. Its the people who are essentially economically fine for the moment having a whine on Facebook who need to question what they are doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I really think the "we want refunds for our season tickets" brigade should be ostracized from the fanbase. Its a relatively small outlay which clubs will almost certainly bring in measures to compensate in future. Season ticket holders doing that would be actively destroying their club and should not be considered "supporters" by any stretch.

That's a bit harsh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If the season is voided a lot of clubs are going to be needing some very understanding season ticket holders. The better supported clubs will have taken six figures in season ticket sales and trying to refund them would probably be ruinous for some clubs.

Edited to add - I posted this almost simultaneously to Harry Stottle's post above without having read it.

I'll not be asking for my money back for my ST this year but on the understanding we get something back that is free for the club to do ( when it's safe next season for eg) .... Maybe a meet the players session or something 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What if they havent got a vaccine by February?

 

They won''t Scotchy, many of us realise that I hope.

However Mr Johnson made it clear that the green zone in his alert system means no Covid present in UK and a return to normal activity. This is highly achievable , certainly before February although how it pans out for regular cross border and inter continental competitions might be a different matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I cant agree Tommy. People should get what they paid for and plenty will be struggling. A couple of hundred pounds can make a massive difference to peoples lives, especially if they are out of work.

It's up to clubs/leagues to solve this problem and there has been a clear lack action there.

It seems most clubs plan is not pay what they owe, government money, and wait until they can go back to what they are doing before.

Even ignoring the fact that what they did before didnt work, it's not sure that business model will ever even be possible again. 

Clubs need to refocus because it may very well be that for a long period of time large gatherings of people arent possible. Not this year, next year, or the years after.

And even if they are they may not continue to be. We open and close, open and close for years. 

We need a new model. Clubs cant rely on people turning up week after week. We need to be more responsive and more diverse in our revenue streams.

The lower leagues accepting this season as ended isnt the safe approach. It's taking a massive massive risk that there is a definitive end to this. 

Sorry, but you support your club through thick and thin, ups and downs. In hard times clubs call in loyalty and in return we get the good times of victory. I'd hate to associate with someone who stabbed my club in the back when they needed help most. I'm not a more casual new fan buying a product I'm investing in a heritage that I want to pass on. 

The rest of your post is about business models which is fine, but not related to what I said.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...