In The Times this morning, the 'Saturday Interview' is with Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker of the House of Commons.  As usual, in a box separate from the main interview, the interviewee is asked to make some snap choices between two options.  Two of Mr Speaker's are as follows:

Rugby League or Cricket?  That is so tough...I love both equally.  Rugby league.

Bolton Wanderers or Warrington Wolves?  One plays summer and one plays winter, so both.

I presume that at some point, sooner rather than later, Sir Lindsay will be guest of honour and trophy presenter at one of our top competition finals, so either the Grand Final or Challenge Cup final.

• Like 6

Lindsay  Hoyle chaired Chorley when  they were kicked  out of the pro game in the direction of the NCL

. Great fellow . Ex shop Steward at Leyland Motors I am told. Held his  clubs corner in front of NCL committee as they tried to assimilate  their semi-pro's  ( we managed it ) into the strictly amateur based NCL Those were the days !!

Google Chorley Lynx for an interesting Wiki read.

In our game we now have the Father of the  House of Lords and the Speaker of the Commons  ( even though they are both Wire ) in our corner at the highest level . Not too bad for a tough honest working class northern  game   so belittled   by our southern  ' superiors  ' for over a hundred years.... and all of them from International coaches  down to players now  learning from us all the time.....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, del capo said:

In our game we now have the Father of the  House of Lords

How old do you have to be to end up the Father of the House of Lords!

1 hour ago, M j M said:

DE200B43-CE28-447C-860E-5C5E325D5776.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, M j M said:

The Lord Hoyle of Warrington (aka Doug) is 90.  I am not aware that the description Father of the House of Lords is used, and even if it was, I don't think the title would be held by Lord Hoyle.  Nevertheless, great to see such out-and-out rugby league fans in these places.

Last year I attended a local cricket match at Adlington near Chorley and Lord Hoyle(Doug) was there watching the match and I had a long chat with him about cricket and Rugby League plus  Lindsay’s new role as speaker of the House Of Commons and it was clear that both father and son were both decent people and avid Rugby and Cricket fans.

After about an hour Lord Hoyle’s mobile rang and after the call he said to me “That was Lindsay, he always gives me.some time at the Cricket then he comes and picks me up”

That says a lot about both men.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

DE200B43-CE28-447C-860E-5C5E325D5776.jpeg

^^Wigan fan, obviously. Favourite player?/ Harry Sith.

Lord Hoyle, meanwhile, comes across as very able and likeable wherever your vote goes. Great for RL.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, del capo said:

In our game we now have the Father of the  House of Lords and the Speaker of the Commons  ( even though they are both Wire ) in our corner at the highest level .

At Warrington we also have Chris Evans, Ross Kemp, Stuart Pearce, Neil Fairbrother and Prince Harry*.

*Disclaimer.   I might have made that last one up.   But it's true that I saw him at a game Warrington were playing in; I think it was a round of the cup.   I remember him smiling and shaking hands with Chris Hill so he must be a Wire.

23 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

At Warrington we also have Chris Evans, Ross Kemp, Stuart Pearce, Neil Fairbrother and Prince Harry*.

*Disclaimer.   I might have made that last one up.   But it's true that I saw him at a game Warrington were playing in; I think it was a round of the cup.   I remember him smiling and shaking hands with Chris Hill so he must be a Wire.

Don't forget Adam Hills.

Just now, Leeds Wire said:

Don't forget Adam Hills.

Ah yes but he was a Wire BEFORE he was really famous...   The rest just jumped on the bandwagon ?

2 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Don't forget Adam Hills.

And Alastair Campbell. Glamour club.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

20 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

In The Times this morning, the 'Saturday Interview' is with Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker of the House of Commons.  As usual, in a box separate from the main interview, the interviewee is asked to make some snap choices between two options.  Two of Mr Speaker's are as follows:

Rugby League or Cricket?  That is so tough...I love both equally.  Rugby league.

Bolton Wanderers or Warrington Wolves?  One plays summer and one plays winter, so both.

I presume that at some point, sooner rather than later, Sir Lindsay will be guest of honour and trophy presenter at one of our top competition finals, so either the Grand Final or Challenge Cup final.

Politicians answer - still nice to have someone in the seat of Power who is pro-League

8 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

His endorsement is nothing to be proud of.

• Thanks 1

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

52 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I thought Alastair Campbell was a Keighley fan?

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

I thought Alastair Campbell was a Keighley fan?

He is first of all an Alastair Campbell fan, then a Burnley FC fan especially when they are doing well and/or in the headlines.

27 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

He is a huge improvement on the previous Neo Nazi fascist speaker.

Massively o/t but that's a laughable statement.

• Like 3