Derek Beaumont accuses delay tactics being set to prevent Championship return

7 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Surely this is as simple as: if it's safe to play and there are teams that want to, then they can go ahead and play. If the other teams don't want to then fine, they forfeit. There have been plenty of seasons in many sports where a team has not made it to the end, the leagues haven't been made null and void.

Every argument on here has been made from a position of bias, obviously. The stark truth is that if teams can finish the season they should finish it and the winner is the winner. If relegation is going to be cancelled then fine, I get that, but we can still have winners. If that means a 13/14 team SL so be it. Let CH and L1 play for something.

That's a bit hash TET. Who will apply this judgement and determine the clubs who must forfeit and what they will receive as a deterrent? I ask this specifically in the light of Leeds receiving no punishment for failing to fulfil their fixture at Catalans despite there being no lockdown in place at the time.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

That's a bit hash TET. Who will apply this judgement and determine the clubs who must forfeit and what they will receive as a deterrent? I ask this specifically in the light of Leeds receiving no punishment for failing to fulfil their fixture at Catalans despite there being no lockdown in place at the time.

I read it as if you want to play, then play. If not there will be no relegation or fines, the points would be awarded to the club wanting to compete and we will have promotion at the end of it into an expanded SL.

1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

Isn't it three meter if you include water!

Indeed.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I read it as if you want to play, then play. If not there will be no relegation or fines, the points would be awarded to the club wanting to compete and we will have promotion at the end of it into an expanded SL.

As I said, who would apply this judgement? Such rules would first have to be agreed by the clubs the majority of whom would reject it: a non-starter.

17 minutes ago, dkw said:

Leigh in SL to protect his investment, thats all hes interested in.

No, no, no - it is the fans and the integrity of the sport. He said so.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

There has always been a two meter rule here - one for gas and one for electricity.

You not on a water meter yet, Johnny ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Exactly, Championship would have same number of teams as you would promote from League 1 in the same way. The only clubs who could rightfully moan in this scenario are those in SL who don't want to share the pie but if you only promote 1 team it's only the same as last season given you're not paying Toronto anyway!

13 team league is not ideal but needs must, these are extraordinary times and I'd much prefer an outcome with some positiveness. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

In fairness to Leeds,they wouldn't have got out of the country,and if they did they wouldn't have been allowed into France,if they did travel as originally planned.

What is the rugby league protocol should one of their squad test positive?

It seems like a decision is to be made,by the beginning of July,for the completely compromised,2020 season

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/18511367.championship-decision-expected-early-july-say-toulouse/?ref=fbshr&fbclid=IwAR3rPCNvC0JrcW9-fLOZaGDsUlUvQEADOBEcS5zlw1vjPK1ZRsVMzQnSM4A

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

29 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

In fairness to Leeds,they wouldn't have got out of the country,and if they did they wouldn't have been allowed into France,if they did travel as originally planned.

What is the rugby league protocol should one of their squad test positive?

It seems like a decision is to be made,by the beginning of July,for the completely compromised,2020 season

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/18511367.championship-decision-expected-early-july-say-toulouse/?ref=fbshr&fbclid=IwAR3rPCNvC0JrcW9-fLOZaGDsUlUvQEADOBEcS5zlw1vjPK1ZRsVMzQnSM4A

This isn't a barb at Leeds, simply pointing out that clubs could claim a precedent. Leeds took an arbitrary decision which went unpunished, correctly in my view. Would arbitrary decisions by other clubs then be punished?

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

As I said, who would apply this judgement? Such rules would first have to be agreed by the clubs the majority of whom would reject it: a non-starter.

Which judgement? I've no doubt the SL clubs would reject promoting a team without relegating one if they get the chance. The rest of it is pretty simple and suits everyone. Those who want to play can, those that don't want to play, don't and will be free from relegation or fines. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

If a team trained together all week,and a couple of players tested positive before the game,would that game be allowed to go ahead or would the whole squad have to self isolate.would'nt the test track and trace rules come into effect?

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

You are a prat really.You hold the game back as you see others moving forward yet you’re still sat in your domain.

You support anything that will knock the bird off the perch.

You are the reason the game never moves on.

Well done.

So could cause some real problems then,depending which players you lose.

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

I don’t understand your over the hill context. Must be a Yorky thing. 

We on the other side of the hill use direct debit. Google is your friend.

Google also provides a dictionary.

15 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Which judgement? I've no doubt the SL clubs would reject promoting a team without relegating one if they get the chance. The rest of it is pretty simple and suits everyone. Those who want to play can, those that don't want to play, don't and will be free from relegation or fines. 

You are being evasive. In order for any sanctions, such as forfeiting a game, to be applied the clubs as a whole (not just a few of them) would neeed to agree. I contend that they wouldn't.

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

You are a prat really.You hold the game back as you see others moving forward yet you’re still sat in your domain.

You support anything that will knock the bird off the perch.

You are the reason the game never moves on.

Well done.

Insults eh?

Please illustrate who is moving the game forward and how, as distinct from following their own narrow interests but trying to disguise it as being in the interests of all.

Please do not use the word "ambition", it is meaningless in the current context.

Rumours are now circulating of an October restart with clubs playing just nine matches and with no P&R. That would be popular don't you think?

15 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Rumours are now circulating of an October restart with clubs playing just nine matches and with no P&R. That would be popular don't you think?

Who started the rumour?

36 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

If that is true,I'm sure Mr Beaumont will be chomping at the bit to get started.

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

If that is true,I'm sure Mr Beaumont will be chomping at the bit to get started.

Yeah, it'll be funny seeing the reaction ?

I assume that the idea of October is on the pretext of having (some) crowds to get income in. It would surely be pointless without.

Archived