Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

USA sports fans in awe of Rugby League hits

14 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes, I am not saying gridiron hasn't got its subtleties and as you say, I think it's the more the open and passing game that they are not accustomed to.

They must think it’s odd not having a break in play every 15 seconds so there can be an advert. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They must think it’s odd not having a break in play every 15 seconds so there can be an advert. 

Another reason why RL won't take off over there ..... no time for a picnic during the game  (and our seats are narrower too !)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Also the commentator would be saying "The Budweiser referee, has awarded a Coca-Cola scrum which will take place on the McDonald's 22  metre line." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Being sneered at probably doesn't encourage new fans either, whether in the USA or anywhere else.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

As someone who lives in the USA I feel people always misjudge Americans when it comes to sport. They always think Americans want a short action packed simplistic spectacle. American Football is one of the most complex sports out there and it certainly isn't short. The hits in American Football are quite brutal also. The padding and helmets makes the game more dangerous in my opinion, you see guys launching themselves headfirst like a missile into another guys knee, imagine taking a solid helmet straight to your knee cap!

Baseball, the most American of all sports is another sport based on intricate details and a long run time.

And for those who poke fun at everything being sponsored in US sports, next time you watch notice that none of the teams have sponsors names on their jerseys, it is considered tacky. Americans are often surprised when they see foreign sports teams with sponsors names emblazened across their jerseys.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, eal said:

As someone who lives in the USA I feel people always misjudge Americans when it comes to sport. They always think Americans want a short action packed simplistic spectacle. American Football is one of the most complex sports out there and it certainly isn't short. The hits in American Football are quite brutal also. The padding and helmets makes the game more dangerous in my opinion, you see guys launching themselves headfirst like a missile into another guys knee, imagine taking a solid helmet straight to your knee cap!

Baseball, the most American of all sports is another sport based on intricate details and a long run time.

And for those who poke fun at everything being sponsored in US sports, next time you watch notice that none of the teams have sponsors names on their jerseys, it is considered tacky. Americans are often surprised when they see foreign sports teams with sponsors names emblazened across their jerseys.

I thought baseball was an English game originally certainly European. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

We also think its odd you have to subscribe to satellite tv to watch most sports and very little is on free to air

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I thought baseball was an English game originally certainly European. 

Like most US sports, it can trace its origins back to multiple games including many stick ball games that originated in England, but what would become the modern game of baseball was set up in and around New York City in the years preceding the Civil War.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eal said:

And do Americans not misjudge we British and wonder why we watch a five-day game of cricket that might end in a draw ?

Yes sports like gridiron, baseball etc might last a long time from when it starts to when it finishes but how long of that is "non-play" ?

An article last year stated that despite a gridiron game lasting just 60 minutes, the average time from start to finish in 3hours 12 minutes ... that is the aspect which many people over here cannot fathom. 

EDIT ... If you go back and look at my original comment about the subtleties of RL that maybe Americans couldn't grasp, it was purely regarding the ball-handling skills and tactics in open play of which there is comparitively very little in gridiron. (ie no multiple passing, not all players do every job - running, passing, tackling). I did not say there wasn't any intricate play in gridiron but that people there were more used to a sport where the percentage of collisions as opposed to open play was far less than the free-flowing aspect of RL.

Each to their own, of course ... and while those brought up on a diet of gridiron wouldn't quickly appreciate the subtleties of RL then it would be just the same in the opposite direction.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The ironic thing being, and I'm sure you know this, that the padding brought into American Football is one of the reasons it is now so dangerous and the players such dangerous weights - because it means collisions can be higher impact and more destructive. Whereas the padding free rugby isn't exactly healthy, in a straight comparison, it is far less damaging to participants.

The padding and helmets can easily make you think that you are more protected than what you actually are. If they weren’t wearing helmets then they would be more aware about going into tackles head first. On a couple of the YouTube reaction videos I have see the person doing the reacting have mentioned that the tackling technique is better and NFL players can learn from it.

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

They are completely different sports. Comparing them, I find amusing. Also comical.

But many different sports might have similarities which people will compare ..

Cricket - Baseball - Rounders

Netball - Basketball

Jump racing - Flat racing

Track cycling - Road racing

Rugby League  ......... well, nothing compares to it !

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

They are all different sports. Not one compares to the other. 

NFL-  Quarterback.

RL- Scrum half.

Comparison please?

OK, YOU might not think there is no comparison between those sports but you can't take away the fact that many people do.

I watch cricket and many, many times I hear comments that "It's just like rounders" simply because a ball is thrown and someone hits it.

So, a non-sporting person would easily think gridiron and RL are similar  It's only like when non-rugby followers don't know any difference between League and Union.

20 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The thing is I don’t need to think as I know the differences. Educating people using comparisons to something they can relate to isn’t an answer.

Is it?

All sports are different, they don’t compare.

Again.. that's your opinion

Many others think different.

Highlights is the best way to watch gridiron but its the worst way to watch RL. The SL show is just a procession of tries.

The nearest sport ever to be close to the rules of rugby league is the CFL (Until around the late 1920/early 30,s) there is some footage on you tube somewhere.

The Grey Cup is one of the oldest sporting events in the world run by the Ontario Rugby Union.

The rules in those days for the re-starts (Play the ball) were really close to RL as were some of the plays.

Paul

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

It’s a factual opinion. Union isn’t the same as League and Netball isn’t the same as Basketball.

You play draughts (checkers for our American audience) or Chess on the same board.

If you read what I actually said .....

10 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

But many different sports might have similarities which people will compare ..

Cricket - Baseball - Rounders

Netball - Basketball

Jump racing - Flat racing

Track cycling - Road racing

Rugby League  ......... well, nothing compares to it !

I actually said they are different sports but I said they had similarities (ie : Netball v Basketball -both throw a ball into a net).

However, it can't be denied that many non-sporting people can't disinguish one from another. Regarding your chess anology ... could non-players realise the physical difference between castling kingside and castling queenside ?  Many non-players just wouldn't realise the difference.

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The nearest sport ever to be close to the rules of rugby league is the CFL (Until around the late 1920/early 30,s) there is some footage on you tube somewhere.

The Grey Cup is one of the oldest sporting events in the world run by the Ontario Rugby Union.

The rules in those days for the re-starts (Play the ball) were really close to RL as were some of the plays.

Paul

The early days of the various codes in Canada is fascinating, I love reading about that history. 

For example the fact that the Balmy Beach Club, in the current Rugby Ontario Marshall Premiership, has won multiple Grey Cups, is really cool.

I hope for the CFL to evolve towards a more flowing type of rugby game, as a way to deal with concussions and now coronavirus survival. Not sure how exactly, but I think there's an opportunity to be more distinct.

Deleted wrong forum!

Edited by HawkMan
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Also the commentator would be saying "The Budweiser referee, has awarded a Coca-Cola scrum which will take place on the McDonald's 22  metre line." 

Oooooh the McDonalds 22 metre line! Whatever is that? Pray tell? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SL17 said:

As does water polo. If you try selling something that compares to another, doesn’t that become a negative? They then have a fixation in their minds that it’s the same sport.

Educating people to a new sport is a positive. Comparing it to other sports is a negative.

Although I take your opinion on board.

Yes, we are both roughly on the same track ... from different (or similar) directions ! ?

You are considering how those trying to get interested in the sport might get confused if comparing to another; I was just looking at it from the position of those who have absolutely no interest in it at all and just think one type of rugby is the same as the other but just with a different name. (ie The northern teams call it Rugby League and the southern teams call it Rugby Union).

9 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Indeed there is, it's a good illustration of why I say that the distinctive features of RL are all Canadian inventions.

5 hours ago, TheReaper said:

The early days of the various codes in Canada is fascinating, I love reading about that history. 

For example the fact that the Balmy Beach Club, in the current Rugby Ontario Marshall Premiership, has won multiple Grey Cups, is really cool.

I hope for the CFL to evolve towards a more flowing type of rugby game, as a way to deal with concussions and now coronavirus survival. Not sure how exactly, but I think there's an opportunity to be more distinct.

In fact the original Balmy Beach club folded in 1957 according to their Wikipedia entry.  The latter-day club is likely an attempt by RU types to hijack a heritage which isn't theirs.

The evolution you hope for in the CFL would realistically require them to reverse their 100 year old practice of importing rules from the US and restore the distinctive Canadian rules which were once central to their game.  The great majority of the brain damage is suffered by the lineman battling it out on the line of scrimmage, and forward passing would be completely ineffective without that for the simple reason that unless the offensive team can protect the passer long enough for a receiver to get open downfield he'll be tackled before he can throw that pass.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

It’s the invention of Gridiron not RL. 

You may have your dates mixed up or need to learn them.

No it's not the invention of gridiron, that happened in the US not in Canada.  It's the invention of a ball-control version of rugby.

I have my dates and knowledge of the games' history down pat thanks.  Canadians invented the first form of play-the-ball back in 1880.  Canadians invented a rule to make teams run kicks out of their goal area (the rouge) even earlier than that.  Canadians got rid of the RU fair catch in the 1890s and replaced it with a 3-yard (later 5-yard) restraining area for offside members of the kicking team.  We also invented the sin-bin rule which was also part of Canadian rugby football before the first Grey Cup.  In short we Canadians got rid of RU's fair catches, throw-ins, rucks and mauls long before RL got around to any of that and our ideas were subsequently adopted in RL.

Now if you can tell me what the other distinctive features of RL which differentiate it from RU might be, I'm all ears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Big Picture said:

No it's not the invention of gridiron, that happened in the US not in Canada.  It's the invention of a ball-control version of rugby.

I have my dates and knowledge of the games' history down pat thanks.  Canadians invented the first form of play-the-ball back in 1880.  Canadians invented a rule to make teams run kicks out of their goal area (the rouge) even earlier than that.  Canadians got rid of the RU fair catch in the 1890s and replaced it with a 3-yard (later 5-yard) restraining area for offside members of the kicking team.  We also invented the sin-bin rule which was also part of Canadian rugby football before the first Grey Cup.  In short we Canadians got rid of RU's fair catches, throw-ins, rucks and mauls long before RL got around to any of that and our ideas were subsequently adopted in RL.

Now if you can tell me what the other distinctive features of RL which differentiate it from RU might be, I'm all ears.

Hey BP i'm convinced you're right.

It would help you to win if you had some film of RL at about the same time and compare the two.

Anyway do you think there's any chance of converting them to play RL?

Suddenly we'd have a whole new Nation in pro' Rugby League.

Now that's development.