Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

USA sports fans in awe of Rugby League hits

Recommended Posts

Lets hope it whets their appetite for more. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any American who watched the whole game Parramatta Eels vs Sydney Roosters would have loved it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hits like this plus the speed, footwork, skill and fitness of the players puts the game above it's rivals.

If someone would throw a load of money at the game to develop and market it worldwide it would explode

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Hits like this plus the speed, footwork, skill and fitness of the players puts the game above it's rivals.

If someone would throw a load of money at the game to develop and market it worldwide it would explode

I personally dont think you'll find better all round athelete anywhere in the world than in RL. Maybe not as explosive as say the NFL, but that blend of everything is pretty much unmatched in any sport imo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty of videos on YouTube of Americans reacting to rugby videos and some of them completely lose it when they see the collisions. None of them can get their heads around nobody wearing padding.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MZH said:

I personally dont think you'll find better all round athelete anywhere in the world than in RL. Maybe not as explosive as say the NFL, but that blend of everything is pretty much unmatched in any sport imo.

Yeah that's the thing. Most sports focus on certain aspects relating to that sport. I don't think many other sports require such all round physical attributes and training

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

Hits like this plus the speed, footwork, skill and fitness of the players puts the game above it's rivals.

If someone would throw a load of money at the game to develop and market it worldwide it would explode

I still think we should see more ad-lib rugby, and IMO the only way of doing that is by cutting the numbers on the paddock, to 11 per side, and please get rid of the scrum. Maybe still have teams going back 10 metres, but once the ball touches the floor the defensive line can advance, benefit of the doubt goes MAJORLY to the attacking side, it has to be 100% a knock-on for the whistle to go, and 100% a forward pass, IMO referees are whistling too often for these things, and commentators need to be told to stop shouting "forward pass" and "knock-on", the referee's word is law, and comms need to talk FAR less too, and only have 2 in the commentary box.   

  • Haha 1

Hull FC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

There are plenty of videos on YouTube of Americans reacting to rugby videos and some of them completely lose it when they see the collisions. None of them can get their heads around nobody wearing padding.

Yes, I've seen a few. The videos that tend to get them the most excited are Shaun Johnson, Jason Taumalolo or a general hits compilation.


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MZH said:

I personally dont think you'll find better all round athelete anywhere in the world than in RL

You won’t because there aren’t any . They’re the ultimate in terms of a whole host of attributes that’s needed to play a sport that’s just so brutal and testing . They’re not normal , they’re superhuman . What they deal with endless times in a game , then get up and carry on just never ceases to marvel . And add in holding on to the ball when you’re hit , and running around the pitch until your lungs burn , they carry on running

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

There are plenty of videos on YouTube of Americans reacting to rugby videos and some of them completely lose it when they see the collisions. None of them can get their heads around nobody wearing padding.

Yeah, my cousins came over from Boston a few years back and watched me play rugby for school whilst they were here and couldn't believe we didn't wear pads or helmets. Like they genuinely couldn't get their heads around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rioman said:

Hopefully they'll appreciate that this is Rugby League and not  Rugby Union..

A lot of the reaction video makers have been informed in the comments, so quite a few know there are two codes, although not much more of the details.

  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Yeah that's the thing. Most sports focus on certain aspects relating to that sport. I don't think many other sports require such all round physical attributes and training

I'd have to imagine ice hockey might give it some competition, The physicality and endurance required all while having to do it 82 nights out of the year plus however many playoff games. I don't know how they do it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, emesssea said:

I'd have to imagine ice hockey might give it some competition, The physicality and endurance required all while having to do it 82 nights out of the year plus however many playoff games. I don't know how they do it.

They're on and off the rink like yo-yo's though. 


Hull FC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rioman said:

Hopefully they'll appreciate that this is Rugby League and not  Rugby Union..

I doubt they’ll know the difference, ie they’ll just think it’s rugby, not rugby union or league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I doubt they’ll know the difference, ie they’ll just think it’s rugby, not rugby union or league. 

Trust me, many of the comments on their YT videos are either recommendations for other RL or RU clips, or slagging each other's code off, or both.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago (sometime in the early 1980s) I was at a match at Warrington and stood next to two American students who were over here and so had just come to watch what rugby was about ... and they too just couldn't believe the hard tackles that were being made without the players wearing any helmets or padding.

That part of the game was the highlight for them as they were comparing it to gridiron, yet they didn't really appreciate the ball skills and tactics in open play, both because they didn't know much about the subtleties of the game but also because that was alien to the way they enjoyed their own type of sport.

And maybe that could be a reason why RL has never taken off very well in the USA ... although they would appreciate the hard tackling, the other aspects of the game could well be too intricate to understand and  enjoy for a nation brought up to appreciate a mainly crash-bang-wallop type of game with comparitively very little open play.

EDIT .. Of course that was then ... when there was more open play in RL !!!!!!

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

There are plenty of videos on YouTube of Americans reacting to rugby videos and some of them completely lose it when they see the collisions. None of them can get their heads around nobody wearing padding.

The ironic thing being, and I'm sure you know this, that the padding brought into American Football is one of the reasons it is now so dangerous and the players such dangerous weights - because it means collisions can be higher impact and more destructive. Whereas the padding free rugby isn't exactly healthy, in a straight comparison, it is far less damaging to participants.

  • Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Welsh RL & RU watcher said:

They're on and off the rink like yo-yo's though. 

And a rugby player only plays once a week. Each was has its pros and cons in this debate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Many years ago (sometime in the early 1980s) I was at a match at Warrington and stood next to two American students who were over here and so had just come to watch what rugby was about ... and they too just couldn't believe the hard tackles that were being made without the players wearing any helmets or padding.

That part of the game was the highlight for them as they were comparing it to gridiron, yet they didn't really appreciate the ball skills and tactics in open play, both because they didn't know much about the subtleties of the game but also because that was alien to the way they enjoyed their own type of sport.

And maybe that could be a reason why RL has never taken off very well in the USA ... although they would appreciate the hard tackling, the other aspects of the game could well be too intricate to understand and  enjoy for a nation brought up to appreciate a mainly crash-bang-wallop type of game with comparitively very little open play.

EDIT .. Of course that was then ... when there was more open play in RL !!!!!!

I take your point but have you ever watched NFL? I don’t think there is another sport with so many intricacies? Maybe it’s the free flowing nature of it that they don’t get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I take your point but have you ever watched NFL? I don’t think there is another sport with so many intricacies? Maybe it’s the free flowing nature of it that they don’t get. 

Yes, I am not saying gridiron hasn't got its subtleties and as you say, I think it's the more the open and passing game that they are not accustomed to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...