Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

Championship clubs still in deadlock

25 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

First batch  is 30 million I believe

That would be before it has been tested for efficacy and, much more importantly, safety? I will let you join the first group Sweaty whilst I hang back with the faint-hearted.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Try to be half full, but watch out for what I stated. All on furlough to get it first

😂

Here's where two positives combine to make a negative.

Yeah, right ...........

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

That potentially negates the cost of testing for Leigh, although it doesn't categorically state whether that would apply to the repeat testing that would be necessary or not over the course of any resumed season (presumably it would). However it doesn't provide financial means for the 14 clubs in the Championship to pay wages for their players and other staff or to pay the other associated costs that would come with a restarted campaign in the absence of paying crowds which appears to be the greatest stumbling block to any resumption.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

That potentially negates the cost of testing for Leigh, although it doesn't categorically state whether that would apply to the repeat testing that would be necessary or not over the course of any resumed season (presumably it would). However it doesn't provide financial means for the 14 clubs in the Championship to pay wages for their players and other staff or to pay the other associated costs that would come with a restarted campaign in the absence of paying crowds which appears to be the greatest stumbling block to any resumption.

Let those that wish fight for promotion fight for it, let those that don't rest. TW don't take a share of the pot so a 13 club SL, 14 even better is reasonable

Edited by sweaty craiq

51 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Let those that wish fight for promotion fight for it, let those that don't rest. TW don't take a share of the pot so a 13 club SL, 14 even better is reasonable

Those that wish to fight for promotion without paying crowds to fund it could amount to just 1 club, as there was not a majority in favour of resuming without crowds at most it would be 6 clubs out of 14. We are also missing the bit of information vital to such a proposition, the RFL approved minimum for what would constitute a competition from which promotion could be awarded. Until told otherwise we must assume it to be the status quo - 14 teams playing each other twice plus playoffs leading to a grand final (MPG).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wiganermike said:

Those that wish to fight for promotion without paying crowds to fund it could amount to just 1 club, as there was not a majority in favour of resuming without crowds at most it would be 6 clubs out of 14. We are also missing the bit of information vital to such a proposition, the RFL approved minimum for what would constitute a competition from which promotion could be awarded. Until told otherwise we must assume it to be the status quo - 14 teams playing each other twice plus playoffs leading to a grand final (MPG).

Until told otherwise, P&R remain. 

End of.

If clubs cannot afford the competition then who’s fault is that. Hopefully next time around they don’t accept a payment of £300k to keep stum.

Edited by SL17

12 hours ago, dkw said:

Exactly the same, worked through the whole thing, without calling other clubs unlucky enough to not have a sugar daddy "pub teams". Though I have no idea what that has to do with helping RL get back started etc. 

Initiative doesn’t require a sugar daddy. It requires someone to think out of the box and not follow the norm.

Some are, some are not and some just can’t be bothered,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Initiative. Not sure the RFL will go with it, but it shows what could be achieved. If accepted by the RFL, we will be back to the no crowds scenarios. Just need an answer for that now and then no excuses.

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

End of.

If clubs cannot afford the competition then who’s fault is that. Hopefully next time around they don’t accept a payment of £300k to keep stum.

Whose fault is it? 

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Initiative doesn’t require a sugar daddy. It requires someone to think out of the box and not follow the norm.

Some are, some are not and some just can’t be bothered,

So what amazing thinking out the box things have you done during the lockdown to get Rugby league back playing?

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

End of.

No one, no club, knew what was going to happen when they set their 2020 budgets. It's unfair to blame those who rely on gate receipts to take them away.

8 hours ago, wiganermike said:

- 14 teams playing each other twice plus playoffs leading to a grand final (MPG).

Hi Mike, on that respect the re-scheduled SL is 12 teams playing each other twice with play-offs leading to a GF for the 2020 Champion Team, if that is deemed a just and fair competition, then at the other end of the table the team finishing last should be relegated. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Mike, on that respect the re-scheduled SL is 12 teams playing each other twice with play-offs leading to a GF for the 2020 Champion Team, if that is deemed a just and fair competition, then at the other end of the table the team finishing last should be relegated. 

It is going to be asterisked though isn't it H (my own club looks quite good to win it too). 

17 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

No one, no club, knew what was going to happen when they set their 2020 budgets. It's unfair to blame those who rely on gate receipts to take them away.

Thats quite correct Riggers, those Championship teams who consider it unviable to play without gate reciepts let them forfeit their fixtures with no reprimands or reprisals, those who want to play on to a meaningful conclusion let them also do so, win win all round.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It is going to be asterisked though isn't it H (my own club looks quite good to win it too). 

Yes, most probably so, but please tell me a fairer way in any league system than each team playing each other twice to sort out the best and worst of the division, or put another way those at the top and those at the bottom of the ladder. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes, most probably so, but please tell me a fairer way in any league system than each team playing each other twice to sort out the best and worst of the division, or put another way those at the top and those at the bottom of the ladder. 

I agree that is totally fair in normal circumstances. Even with that though, one side is unlikely to play at home for the foreseeable, others will be playing at neutral grounds till September and one club will have fans. That's before even getting to how the rules of the competition have changed mid-season. 

Only a week or so now to the 23rd where we'll see what emerges. Are you hopeful?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thats quite correct Riggers, those Championship teams who consider it unviable to play without gate reciepts let them forfeit their fixtures with no reprimands or reprisals, those who want to play on to a meaningful conclusion let them also do so, win win all round.

back in the day  harry it was 18 0 for a forfeit due to inflation wonder what score they will give out now 😂 😂 😂

1 minute ago, POR said:

back in the day  harry it was 18 0 for a forfeit due to inflation wonder what score they will give out now 😂 😂 😂

100% they borrowed that as a 3 nil loss from football and translated it lol

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree that is totally fair in normal circumstances. Even with that though, one side is unlikely to play at home for the foreseeable, others will be playing at neutral grounds till September and one club will have fans. That's before even getting to how the rules of the competition have changed mid-season. 

Only a week or so now to the 23rd where we'll see what emerges. Are you hopeful?

Am I hopeful no not really as I put in my earlier post to johnny, and I see it as a collective argument in respect of as you intimate it is not fair on Toronto, lets just rewind a couple of seasons to when your club could not play at home for a protracted period which was an unavoidable nessacity they would gave been in the exact same circumstance if these 'lockdown' fixtures are to be played anywhere other than Headingley - that just happens to be good fortune for Leeds - but the difference with Toronto is that it is not a one off situation it is a continuation season after season due to the climatic conditions in Canada, if there is another wave of this epidemic next season and Canada again closes its borders should the integrity of our system be compromised to suit one team.

Sorry Tommy, but Toronto have joined our League system as have Ottawa it is up to them to do whatever they can to comply with the rest of the teams, and not have the structure altered to suit them.

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

100% they borrowed that as a 3 nil loss from football and translated it lol

Really, I will take your word for it as far as football is concerned, but it really makes a change RL are useually the innovators to which other sports follow. 

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really, I will take your word for it as far as football is concerned, but it really makes a change RL are useually the innovators to which other sports follow. 

It may have been the other way around for all I know but I saw the similarity instantly. 100% was a figure of speech.

Edited by Tommygilf

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Am I hopeful no not really as I put in my earlier post to johnny, and I see it as a collective argument in respect of as you intimate it is not fair on Toronto, lets just rewind a couple of seasons to when your club could not play at home for a protracted period which was an unavoidable nessacity they would gave been in the exact same circumstance if these 'lockdown' fixtures are to be played anywhere other than Headingley - that just happens to be good fortune for Leeds - but the difference with Toronto is that it is not a one off situation it is a continuation season after season due to the climatic conditions in Canada, if there is another wave of this epidemic next season and Canada again closes its borders should the integrity of our system be compromised to suit one team.

Sorry Tommy, but Toronto have joined our League system as have Ottawa it is up to them to do whatever they can to comply with the rest of the teams, and not have the structure altered to suit them.

Of course, they're also a member of the league and it shouldn't be made unduly difficult for them to compete either. 

The main complaints about relegation etc. haven't come from our transat cousins but from these shores. This doesn't need to be a debate around Toronto, though they are an additional factor.