Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

RFL to scrap promotion and relegation

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

They wouldn’t change the criteria. They would change the length of time for clubs to meet the criteria.

This is where it fails, as again they will be just going round in circles.

Uhm, that would be a change of criteria. But your point about going round in circles stands.

25 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So, you’re in favour of keeping all 37 teams in the game? 

Ottawa Aces, 38. 

I think there's a line to be drawn at some point, not mustering more than 25 fans to your away games when travelling a short trip along the road is a sign your clubs finished. Been nowhere near capable of constistently attracting crowds approaching 1,000 (home & away total) to your home games is another sign. Half the Championship and almost all League 1 need to show signs of life. 

15 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Ottawa Aces, 38. 

I think there's a line to be drawn at some point, not mustering more than 25 fans to your away games when travelling a short trip along the road is a sign your clubs finished. Been nowhere near capable of constistently attracting crowds approaching 1,000 (home & away total) to your home games is another sign. Half the Championship and almost all League 1 need to show signs of life. 

Any club relying on away fans needs liquidating, too. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Any club relying on away fans needs liquidating, too. 

Yes, but as a measure of how strong a club is, you only need to look how many away fans have travelled. 

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Yes, but as a measure of how strong a club is, you only need to look how many away fans have travelled. 

No, you really don’t. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=14586647

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

That's Catalans stuffed then

Clueless!.......jumping to at the mere possibility of my statement leading to criticism of the expansion. Clearly barring Thursday night's and the Atlantic Ocean, away following gives a damn good indication of a Clubs standing in the game. 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Why would we want to liquidate clubs ? 

Indeed, I would hate to lose any club. What I would like are lower leagues that allow all clubs to play at a more sustainable level.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

I mean, look as in across the terraces, what numbers, how vocal, making an atmosphere? I don't mean look at the TV from your armchair. 

15 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No, you really don’t. 

You have had it drilled into your head that away fans don’t count. Ask any player if away fans count!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

You have had it drilled into your head that away fans don’t count. Ask any player if away fans count!

No, I haven’t. I can see that it’s a terrible barometer for how successful a club is. 

Now, West Wales, Coventry and London Skolars probably don’t take 25 fans between them for games away from home, however, the work the three do in their local communities in terms of growing the game is worth more to the game than 50 fans going to Keighley, Barrow or Hunslet away. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No, I haven’t. I can see that it’s a terrible barometer for how successful a club is. 

Now, West Wales, Coventry and London Skolars probably don’t take 25 fans between them for games away from home, however, the work the three do in their local communities in terms of growing the game is worth more to the game than 50 fans going to Keighley, Barrow or Hunslet away. 

They are sat in their comfort zone. It’s quite easy for any club to say what’s happening at home.

But if only 25 are travelling (respect to them) you’re doing something wrong.

4 minutes ago, SL17 said:

They are sat in their comfort zone. It’s quite easy for any club to say what’s happening at home.

Looking at their average attendances, you expect something like 20% of their average attendance (minimum) to travel to away games? I’m sorry, that’s the daftest thing I’ve heard and I’ve supported Rugby League all my life. 

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Looking at their average attendances, you expect something like 20% of their average attendance (minimum) to travel to away games? I’m sorry, that’s the daftest thing I’ve heard and I’ve supported Rugby League all my life. 

Success breeds support. Both home and away. 
So away support is a measure of how successful your club is. Won’t make any money for your club, But is an indication of where your clubs at.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Members’ club, not member’s club, otherwise it would be a membership of one club!

Yes, it's membership of the "RFL club"; the clubs are members.

The club belongs to the members; it's a member's club when written as "possession of the membership, belong to the members".

It is THE member's club.

It is A members' club.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s an aside, no? Isn’t retaining the number of clubs we have of more importance? We’ve got people here decrying Super League as some money hungry organisation because their team is not making the hypothetical cut of 12-14 teams with the drawbridge pulled up and the same people pushing for a 20 team competition with the drawbridge pulled up, completely forgetting the other seventeen teams in the game. 

I would hope nobody wants to see a Club go to the wall. Me personally as Featherstone Supporter would never want to see any form of Closed Shop, whatever Division Featherstone might be in. P&R gives everyone the opportunity to play at the highest level, which for me is what competitive sport is all about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I would hope nobody wants to see a Club go to the wall. Me personally as Featherstone Supporter would never want to see any form of Closed Shop, whatever Division Featherstone might be in. P&R gives everyone the opportunity to play at the highest level, which for me is what competitive sport is all about. 

Exactly. If P&R is done away with I’ll be following the owner of my club.

6 hours ago, POR said:

That's true  but with the money they self generate and with the sky money FEV would also be full time funny thing is FEV wanted to go full time on two occasions some years ago  but players didn't want to🤣

In the future FEV have drawn up plans  to redevelop 17 acres of land they own next to the ground into a business park and if you believe what  so called business gurus in the area have estimated  it  will bring in excess of 80 grand a month so things are looking rosy for FEV 

You mentioned DR and yes FEV have a successful one with Leeds   

The ironic thing is  FEV who run a successful dual reg system that other fans moan  about FEV were the only champioship club to vote against the introduction of DR 🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's not just Fev that have benefitted from DR, I don't have any complaints about it as gives players gametime however it shows how thin the squads in the professional game. 

5 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

It's not just Fev that have benefitted from DR, I don't have any complaints about it as gives players gametime however it shows how thin the squads in the professional game. 

Not many clubs benefited in the 8’s using DR. That again was more beneficial to the parent club.

Why use your own players when you have an alternative? The business end of every season is what counts. 

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

If any club is dependent on away fans then they are the ones doing something wrong.

• Like 1