New TV deal negotiations / Perilous finances (Merged threads)

2 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

@Smudger06 Magic is part of super league deal. 

The perks are frankly not worth it for Sky. A minuscule amount of people will cancel or subscribe to sky because of 4 or 5 cup ties, big bash or championship play offs. The costs of producing the games will outweigh any income from advertising or subscriptions. 

If that was the case they would show something else they own the rights for in those timeslots and put the RL content they own on the back-burner. Certainly wouldn't produce content from France & Canada in the playoffs. Sky make a billion a year in pure profit, they don't run anything live on their sports channels at a loss. 

Sky want Thursday & Friday night RL, they can have that for 30m but there will be saturday and Sunday games live on other rival companies channels, fta even, as I say rl exclusivity as always been a big thing for them, especially since they were forced to loose monopoly on Prem Lge. 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Latest Forty20 pod suggests there may be two SL packages up for grabs. One for two live Super League games per week (or thereabouts), another for c.10 live SL games a season plus highlights/magazine programme. That’s maybe where the now Leeds-based Channel 4 comes in.

The BBC would give up the Super League Show but would retain internationals, the Cup and would possibly add Championship coverage. 

That'd be excellent if true. Though I'd suspect Championship coverage on the BBC would be in some kind of red button/iplayer/on demand form?

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There’s no way the bbc are interested in showing Championship Rugby League 

Not live on BBC1 but as a highlights package on the website/iplayer, I could see it. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Not live on BBC1 but as a highlights package on the website/iplayer, I could see it. 

Early round CC involving amateur sides has done reasonably well on BBC Sport website. They'd put playoff games on BBC2 if it was still a battle for promotion. 

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Latest Forty20 pod suggests there may be two SL packages up for grabs. One for two live Super League games per week (or thereabouts), another for c.10 live SL games a season plus highlights/magazine programme. That’s maybe where the now Leeds-based Channel 4 comes in.

The BBC would give up the Super League Show but would retain internationals, the Cup and would possibly add Championship coverage. 

Good to see SL/RFL read my suggestion for that earlier in the week! In all seriousness though that would be an excellent outcome for the sport if the interest in there from a terrestrial channel.

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Channel 4 are state owned but don't use the licence fee. Lot of MPs of all parties from the north of England understand RL, would take only a little political push to have League on C4. Bread & Circuses. 

I hope you're right. Would certainly bring RL to a younger national audience. I think the last time I saw RL mentioned on C4 was in the early 90s, and even then it was the 2-minute ARL summary on Transworld Sports on a Saturday morning.

It would also be a bold new direction. I can imagine a commentary team of Jon Snow and Adam Hills, with Richard Aoyade and one of the Inbetweeners replacing Baz and Tez.

Just now, Cheshire Setter said:

I hope you're right. Would certainly bring RL to a younger national audience. I think the last time I saw RL mentioned on C4 was in the early 90s, and even then it was the 2-minute ARL summary on Transworld Sports on a Saturday morning.

It would also be a bold new direction. I can imagine a commentary team of Jon Snow and Adam Hills, with Richard Aoyade and one of the Inbetweeners replacing Baz and Tez.

You joke but Adam Hills would probably end up fronting it if it came to pass?

• 2 weeks later...

The World Cup and restarting the lower tiers on time in 2021 are actually linked, as a number of lower tier clubs are also World Cup venues/cities. York, Leigh, Newcastle, Sheffield, Coventry, London etc. 

Rugby league needs to be reactivated in those cities ASAP so there's some early local enthusiam for the games, and so the clubs themselves can reap some benefit. 

Hopefully an extended bailout will help this happen. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Yet clubs get attendances in the hundreds and no tv channel has any interest in showing games, other than when Toronto Wolfpack were in the Championship.

Nobody was interested in them either 

5 hours ago, frank said:

Load of rubbish.More interest shown in the WP than any of the Championship clubs.

I was referring to interest shown in broadcasting their games , other than the ones they paid for ?

Always best to actually read the previously highlighted post before replying 🤔

I'm very sceptical of rumour but if you got channel 4 following one player or coach from each team across a season in a magazine show with highlights that would work well. 

Every week you could focus on 2 or 3 of them- overall 6 of so stars, maybe a player in their last season, a recruit from NRL, a young player hoping to breakthrough etc

Would hopefully attract a range of viewers as people got to know some of the players reality style. 

As for championship, it is red button content with final on bbc two- I'd guess bbc would share our league app feed for red button but agree to produce the final properly 

All speculation though...

5 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

C4 have no interest in RL - if I remember correctly they didn't even bother to bid last time round. 

a lot has changed since the last time... they have relocated north for a start.. 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

a lot has changed since the last time... they have relocated north for a start.. 

So Scottish sports would be their No 1 based upon this logic..

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

I'm very sceptical

You should've left it there as that would fit more or less of us and how we approach everything RL.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

17 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

So Scottish sports would be their No 1 based upon this logic..

no, not that far north... but you knew that anyway and were making a funny weren't you..

Archived