Jump to content

Clubs consider combining Championship and League 1 for 24-team competition


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, RP London said:

Out of interest.. what does the Maths look like on that for you? average season ticket price compared to paying on the gate.. honest question as i;ve never really thought about it like this.. how much from you, for example, would be lost? could money be gained by you going less but paying more on the door? 

As i say, its an honest question.. 

It depends on how many games I would choose to miss RP, A 'concession' season ticket for 2021 is negligible at £175 for 13 games, about £13.50/game, pay per game through the gate is £15, those are for the popular North Stand area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I want to be entertained Tommy, that comes in all shapes and forms, and believe me being a fan of a club like Leigh who have had more downs than ups in the 50+ years I have watched them I know all about the costs.

The costs are far bigger than clubs though Harry (of course naturally that is what each fan will focus on) and that is the key mentality where the RFL and Super League have been weak on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You could say that for a lot of people in any scenario though H. There are more and less interesting fixtures in every season, though I agree such a major extension would exacerbate it. For a club like Leigh as it is aren't you at that stage already?

Yes we are, in recent seasons there has been fixtures I have to summon up the enthusiasm to attend for the Rugby alone, but the social aspect of being with family and friends has pulled me along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Why do you think NRL isn't boring without jeopardy, yet Super League is?

Genuine Question.

Because you dont have the generations of tribal club passion in the NRL for a UK watcher, so you watch the game more. Your decades of tribal passion is what makes RL in this country, as it does all sports with history. We must see this as a positive, not as something to drive out, and structure the systems here accordingly. Protect the bigger clubs we have and create the opportunity for ambition, and unite the sport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The costs are far bigger than clubs though Harry (of course naturally that is what each fan will focus on) and that is the key mentality where the RFL and Super League have been weak on.

Yes but what in your opinion is the solution? through previous conversations I glean that you do have some sympathy with the lets say 'the wealthier ambitious Championship clubs' who if privvy to the same funding which is the only reason that seperates them from some incumbant SL clubs would be in the top flight.

A couple or so days ago you hinted that there possibly should be some demarcation line between full and part-time teams, I did answer you but you chose not to reply Tommy, would you care to expand on your thoughts and feelings?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It depends on how many games I would choose to miss RP, A 'concession' season ticket for 2021 is negligible at £175 for 13 games, about £13.50/game, pay per game through the gate is £15, those are for the popular North Stand area.

So really you're only getting 1 (and a bit) game free.. fair enough. And of course you spend when you are in there. So if you miss more than 1 game they are worse off in many aspects. 

Just thought it interesting as dont want to look at Eagles and think it applies across the board in terms of costs etc (probably not far off). 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Because you dont have the generations of tribal club passion in the NRL for a UK watcher, so you watch the game more. Your decades of tribal passion is what makes RL in this country, as it does all sports with history. We must see this as a positive, not as something to drive out, and structure the systems here accordingly. Protect the bigger clubs we have and create the opportunity for ambition, and unite the sport

I think our Australian posters will have some comment on the first point, which is totally wrong.

certainly agree we should view the tribalism as positive but ambition has to stretch more than just P&R to unite the sport.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

I think our Australian posters will have some comment on the first point, which is totally wrong.

certainly agree we should view the tribalism as positive but ambition has to stretch more than just P&R to unite the sport.  

 

 

How will it ever be united LD when the rewards for being in the SL - funding wise - far far outstrip everything else, it will be protected as much as the clubs are allowed to do so. 

Many people argue on these pages that the SC is at a level to suit the poorest of the SL clubs and therefore it is holding the game back, but many of those self same people say that below SL level we should have equal funding across the divisions, is that not going to have the same result with rewarding those clubs who cannot or do not have the wherewithal to improove their lot. 

I predict if funding is drastically reduced or stopped altogether below SL level it will have dire consequences on the game as a whole in the not to distant future, and it will begin almost immediately the blue touch paper is ignited.

It is a very interesting phrase you use "to unite the sport" what do you suggest?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Hopefully more enlightened fans will see the 2 x 10's SL structure more clearly now

Yes - I see it very clearly as a carp idea.

Do we want to project ourselves as a regional game divided into even more regional conferences ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Just use the Lancashire and Yorkshire cups... as the 2 regional trophies

would love to see the old trophies back in circulation... I'd swap the championship trophy in for the SL one right now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Under this proposal now under serious consideration. 

West only has Leigh & Widnes in it! Guaranteed to be in Super League Promotion Playoff every single year along with two freebies qualifying, probably underserving teams upon glancing at the two Conference tables at completion of season, just prior to playoffs.

The other Conference would have Featherstone, Bradford, Halifax, London & York trying to get in! 

Massively unfair, anyway you'd care to cut a Conference.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Under this proposal now under serious consideration. 

West only has Leigh & Widnes in it! Guaranteed to be in Super League Promotion Playoff every single year along with two freebies qualifying, probably underserving teams upon glancing at the two Conference tables at completion of season, just prior to playoffs.

The other Conference would have Featherstone, Bradford, Halifax, London & York trying to get in! 

Massively unfair, anyway you'd care to cut a Conference.  

That is why I said I would choose my games, and so to in my opinion would a lot of otger people.

It is a complete non starter, don't even know why it is being discussed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Under this proposal now under serious consideration. 

West only has Leigh & Widnes in it! Guaranteed to be in Super League Promotion Playoff every single year along with two freebies qualifying, probably underserving teams upon glancing at the two Conference tables at completion of season, just prior to playoffs.

The other Conference would have Featherstone, Bradford, Halifax, London & York trying to get in! 

Massively unfair, anyway you'd care to cut a Conference.  

They might be guaranteed to be in the play offs each year but it would do them no favours playing in a less competitive competition when they come up against the clubs playing in a harder, more competitive competition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, FearNothing said:

err... isn't that what it was a couple of years ago with the "best of the bottom half" shield-thingy?? 

I think the most obvious thing would be split the teams almost in half (13 ch and 10 L1) so have a 12+11 whichever way round, and even out the central funding a bit.... let's face it, the top Ch clubs have the support to make up for a bit less central funding anyway, and a more even funding split could well make both divisions more competitive and compensate the smaller league for fewer fixtures.

My previous post was only a suggestion, to increase the number of games from 18 to 26 across the regular season. The balanced fixtures would retain the integrity of the competition and still give one of the bottom five a crack at the promotion playoffs.

A complete contrast to the farce of a few years ago, where some clubs played more away games than others, some part time clubs were expected to fly across the Atlantic to play a full time club while others didn't, (and that was just the regular season), and we actually made a loss by reaching the shield final.

Anyway, I thought this thread was about next year. Clubs have already assembled, or will be in the final stages of assembling squads based on the current league structure and current central funding. What on earth would be the point of putting clubs like ours in the same league as clubs who have probably spent as much on individual players as we have on our entire squad, and who's central funding alone will be at least twice our annual turn over?

This has all come about because a Championship club could be promoted to make up the numbers in Super League, with a League 1 club then promoted to bring the Championship back up to 14.

Back in 2013, there were just 9 teams in League 1, we finished as champions and were promoted ahead of our time, the following year we were relegated by another restructure and have struggled to recover ever since. I don't blame the League 1 clubs for putting this idea forward, at the end of the day, we always seem to be treated as an afterthought by those in the leagues above us, I just don't see this as a solution.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay;  My, oh, my, what a wonderful day,

Plenty of sunshine headin' our way;  At Stadiwm Zip World, Colwyn Bay!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That is why I said I would choose my games, and so to in my opinion would a lot of otger people.

It is a complete non starter, don't even know why it is being discussed.

I think this Harry;

Because if TV funding is cut; Season 1 = 24, Season 2 = 14 survive, Season 3 = 12 Left. Season 4 = 10 Survive...........

If we continue as is and funding is cut; Season 1 = 14 (League 1 Gone Straight Away?) Season 2 = 10.........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I want to be entertained Tommy, that comes in all shapes and forms, and believe me being a fan of a club like Leigh who have had more downs than ups in the 50+ years I have watched them I know all about the costs.

Having said that Harry , I'd wager that Leigh have won more games than any other pro/semi pro team in the last 20 years than any other team , be that in the northern hemisphere or the southern 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

I think this Harry;

Because if TV funding is cut; Season 1 = 24, Season 2 = 14 survive, Season 3 = 12 Left. Season 4 = 10 Survive...........

If we continue as is and funding is cut; Season 1 = 14 (League 1 Gone Straight Away?) Season 2 = 10.........

You don't say who will be the clubs left Smudge? Do you think that men like Derek Beaumont would keep financing their clubs to play in a dead end street I don't think they would for one minute and I wouldn't blame them for walking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

You don't say who will be the clubs left Smudge? Do you think that men like Derek Beaumont would keep financing their clubs to play in a dead end street I don't think they would for one minute and I wouldn't blame them for walking.

I Think Leigh can survive easy without Derek. Although it seems you are better with him than without. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RP London said:

So really you're only getting 1 (and a bit) game free.. fair enough. And of course you spend when you are in there. So if you miss more than 1 game they are worse off in many aspects. 

Just thought it interesting as dont want to look at Eagles and think it applies across the board in terms of costs etc (probably not far off). 

 

 

Leigh don't receive any match day spending other than tickets and a small % of corporate 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So that's to be the ambition outside SL ? Survival ?

Well all depends on what SL do, will they close the Shop? If not, Not much changes from now, Top dogs fight for the spot at the climax of the season. Nothing wrong with watching a few blow outs as long as you ain't on the receiving end, Happens plenty now.

If they Close up. Which would spell disaster for them and below; its survival in the short term; build something great from the ashes.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...