Promotion Criteria Publicised

30 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Better coaching, better tactics, moneyball investments, incremental improvements ...

Or we could just pretend that every season everyone is really, really interested in a competitive relegation battle that always happens.

With P&R there will always be a competitive relegation battle unless someone is so far off the mark.

Can you be more more explicit on your four considerations in the first sentance.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Every game shouldn’t have to matter. It’s the games lack of confidence in its ability to entertain coming to the fore again, meaning we flit between structure to structure every few years ambling around aimlessly hoping TV figures go through the roof and thousands suddenly turn up and watch games live.

Really, is that what you think when you go to Saints games?

For the rest,  Agree we keep P&R then.

Hela, Ginger do you think Sky will allow SL to go to a Closed Shop thus reducing the number of games that have any consequence whether you agree with it or not, the question being a commercial one concerning Sky, not a criticism of SL.

If Sky do object to any proposal or intention as such from SL, it will come down on the side of 'he who pays the piper calls the tune"

17 hours ago, Oxford said:

Hello Gav,

Whoever gets chosen only one half of the strapline will be fitting. And I support whoever it ends up being despite my preferences. Do you have a vested interest rather than a preference?

Lifelong York fan and current Media Manager mate. 🙂 

My first preference was to keep Toronto in...

2 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Lifelong York fan and current Media Manager mate. 🙂 

My first preference was to keep Toronto in...

Wishing You and York well Gav, despite my preferences, because York's outlook and development of late has been great.

Toronto decision was about money so Buyer (York or whoever) Beware!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hela, Ginger do you think Sky will allow SL to go to a Closed Shop thus reducing the number of games that have any consequence whether you agree with it or not, the question being a commercial one concerning Sky, not a criticism of SL.

If Sky do object to any proposal or intention as such from SL, it will come down on the side of 'he who pays the piper calls the tune"

Naughty, naughty. Not allowed to use 'if'.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really, is that what you think when you go to Saints games?

For the rest,  Agree we keep P&R then.

I’m quite possibly the wrong person to ask, because Saints have been in every set of play-offs since they come in to place in ‘98, so it’s hard to say as I’ve never really seen Saints finish outside of the top clubs. However, as a Saints fan, yes, a load of our games over the past few years have been meaningless, with us well in the play-offs for much of the year so it’s certainly harder to get motivated for some of our games.

We don’t have a structure now that means every game has something riding on it and I’m not just talking about 2020. We play twenty seven weekly rounds in Super League and a load of them are meaningless, box ticking exercises for club chairmen and not for fans, broadcasters or players. I’m not just blaming loop fixtures either, I don’t think we’d see a huge uplift in meaningful games if we scrapped loop fixtures. We’d still have a decent number of mismatches both physically and financially and a load of games that mean little. 

“Every minute matters” or whatever rubbish tagline people want to use is not conducive with a league competition. It would make a decent strap line for the play-offs or for the Challenge Cup but it just doesn’t work for a league competition because not every game matters, because thats how a league system works. Unless you either let everyone have a punt at winning the competition overall, which makes the league structure utterly pointless or you extend the play-offs to give more teams an opportunity to win the competition, which people didn’t like when we did it last time around as it was rewarding mediocrity and giving a team that finished 8th out 12 a chance of being the competition winners.

I’m a fan of multiple sports and it’s only Rugby League and a small sub-section of its fanbase, weirdly enough, that is obsessed with the falsities of every game being meaningful and with something to play for. You don’t see people yearn for play-offs between Everton and West Ham United in March, so that they’ve got something to play for, despite being in a competition which, at any given time, is dominated by a couple of teams. 

I have to chuckle when I still see people complain about 'every minute matters'. 

It was a hyperbolic marketing tagline - but in usual RL style we all displayed our misery and came up with as many examples as we could of where every minute didn;t actually matter, like when a team was 60 points up after 65 minutes.

And people purposely mis-representing it with claims that teams 'finishing' 8th could win the comp was just not true. It was basically like a golf tournament 'cut' - the season hadn't finished.If you finished the season in 8th, you missed the playoffs and you couldn't win the comp.

Just now, Dave T said:

I have to chuckle when I still see people complain about 'every minute matters'. 

It was a hyperbolic marketing tagline -

Except it wasn't. The season structure document clearly stated that it was about having 'jeopardy' (hence why I use the word repeatedly in a mocking tone) in as many games as possible - specifically the games *at the middle and bottom of the table*.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Except it wasn't. The season structure document clearly stated that it was about having 'jeopardy' (hence why I use the word repeatedly in a mocking tone) in as many games as possible - specifically the games *at the middle and bottom of the table*.

It crippled the development of some clubs, notably Huddersfield. Who were plainly too good to be relegated but not secure enough for top half of the table in a bad year. A serial middle 8s club was difficult to build upwards from unless your club had a bit of kudos or status like Leeds. 

Half the league were under genuine threat of relegation every year until 2 weeks before the end of the season. All it took was a spell of bad injuries.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Having jeopardy and 'every minute matters' are different things. 

We still have jeopardy now with P&R. 

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No no no Bleep, we have some very large people, never miss a game, who take up 2 seats each, substantially reduces our capacity, to not much more than Trailfinders🤔

Ah, but Fev have the car park capacity of a small Mining Social Club.

50 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I bet it was like winning the pools, scrutinising my next mail Ginger🤨

"Got Him"

Me, earlier

High Quality Monocle Outrage Blank Meme Template

Archived