Promotion Criteria Publicised

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I’m not sure that you can call relegation battles competitive.

How would you describe them LR, apart from nervous, jittery, can't look, elation, euphoria, brilliant, stupid and more but all that is in the stands and on the terraces,  the competitiveness is on the field between the player's, competing to stay up.

11 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

How would you describe them LR, apart from nervous, jittery, can't look, elation, euphoria, brilliant, stupid and more but all that is in the stands and on the terraces,  the competitiveness is on the field between the player's, competing to stay up.

Competition is about teams winning in order to be successful. Relegation battles are teams scrambling to try and win at least one more game than the team below you or at least trying to lose by smaller margin. Anything that comes down to who loses the fewest games can’t be classed as competitive as if the teams were competitive they would be higher up the table.

Last year I was nervous and jittery, especially with the penultimate game against London but did I feel any elation or euphoria when we stayed up? No, it was just relief that we stayed up and nothing more.

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Competition is about teams winning in order to be successful. Relegation battles are teams scrambling to try and win at least one more game than the team below you or at least trying to lose by smaller margin. Anything that comes down to who loses the fewest games can’t be classed as competitive as if the teams were competitive they would be higher up the table.

Last year I was nervous and jittery, especially with the penultimate game against London but did I feel any elation or euphoria when we stayed up? No, it was just relief that we stayed up and nothing more.

Yes , but you actually ' felt ' , rather than not feeling anything , since you've been in SL since 2007 , how often ( apart from beating FC ) have you felt anything ?

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

how often ( apart from beating FC ) have you felt anything ?

Well it's nice beating FC but when you're a Salford fan all you get is overwhelming feelings of dread before the kick off and euphoria only when time is signalled and after a few minutes checking the score.

I can't recall just how many downs there have been though. Watto is just the latest!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

16 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but you actually ' felt ' , rather than not feeling anything , since you've been in SL since 2007 , how often ( apart from beating FC ) have you felt anything ?

Mainly it has been more downs than ups these past couple of years but beating Wigan was a highlight.

Of course there was the relegation in 2016 which was a real low but again if we had won I wouldn’t have been jumping around as though we had won the Grand Final, it would have been relief that we had won and hoping that we wouldn’t be in that situation again. The promotion next year was obviously a great high but it didn’t change my mind about how daft the eights system was and that we still should have some sort of licensing system.

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Mainly it has been more downs than ups these past couple of years but beating Wigan was a highlight.

Of course there was the relegation in 2016 which was a real low but again if we had won I wouldn’t have been jumping around as though we had won the Grand Final, it would have been relief that we had won and hoping that we wouldn’t be in that situation again. The promotion next year was obviously a great high but it didn’t change my mind about how daft the eights system was and that we still should have some sort of licensing system.

I have every reason to doubt you would say that if you were outside of SL, a bit like Tony Smith's views.

On 25/11/2020 at 09:09, Harry Stottle said:

I would describe them as desperate relegation battles, with added jeopardy.

Not good for the teams involved but can be gripping to the neutral

6 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Have you ever been outside ' some sort of licencing system ' ? , Believe me you would ' feel ' something then , possibly like me , bored to the point where I stopped attending 

14 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

And for the reason it was brought up, isn't that exactly the reason why Sky would want to retain jeopardy?

Do you really think that for a period of a few years Sky decided they didn’t like promotion and relegation anymore and didn’t want jeopardy and advocated the licensing period?

12 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Have you ever been outside ' some sort of licencing system ' ? , Believe me you would ' feel ' something then , possibly like me , bored to the point where I stopped attending 

I didn't, but If it returns I will most definatley consider my options, I would sooner be in SL with the trap door open and therefore could fall through it than attend when the result does not matter, what is the point of that from a spectator's veiw point, I want to feel the emotions whatever they are before, during and afternatch can you imagine 5 mins to go you need a win, your trailing by a couple of points line at the mercy and someone knocks on, and your comment will be, "well it doesn't really matter, does it". Alternatively you score and win, that emotion will not be the same if it doesn't matter, I want to go into the pub with my mates aftermatch to debate and discuss what went on, to have a pint and rejoice or lament, that is what sport is all about not "it doesn't matter anyway".

It was the same in the Championship under Licensing, win the comp and get the door slammed in your face. No good.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Do you really think that for a period of a few years Sky decided they didn’t like promotion and relegation anymore and didn’t want jeopardy and advocated the licensing period?

No I am saying it was tried, and we should not return to it, as much as you like the annual comp with Wigan, Warrington, and Leeds, and seeing combinations of those games evey week, from early August there are many more who want variety, jeopardy and the Championship play offs provide that, Sky would be foolish to let it be abandoned.

Archived