Promotion Criteria Publicised

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

While I admire your optimism, you're suggesting that in 25 years we could be where RU is *now* and that it will have stood still in the meantime....

Well its been about that since they turned professional and if you look at the salary cap slashes particularly in the Top14. Your point stands though. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Toronto, alongside any international club side, shouldn't have been in the championship so yes, absolutely it is.

So now you change it to suit your argument never mind using a past tense like  shouldn't have been they most certainly were being from Canada not English and did get promoted, that ain't what you said Thomas, top English club in the Championship replaces bottom English club in SL.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

So now you change it to suit your argument never mind using a past tense like  shouldn't have been they most certainly were being from Canada not English and did get promoted, that ain't what you said Thomas, top English club in the Championship replaces bottom English club in SL.

I really don't get why you think you've caught me on something here H. The post I was replying to posited a hypothetical situation - incidentally one I agree with.

I've repeatedly told you I believe international club sides should be put straight into Super League. 

I've also repeatedly said I agree with P/R for English teams, where it is most "beneficial".

None of these things are new to you or inconsistent.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I really don't get why you think you've caught me on something here H. The post I was replying to posited a hypothetical situation - incidentally one I agree with.

I've repeatedly told you I believe international club sides should be put straight into Super League. 

I've also repeatedly said I agree with P/R for English teams, where it is most "beneficial".

None of these things are new to you or inconsistent.

Exactly so, but just accept you made boo boo, it is not often so it shines like a beacon on a dark night.

We will forever disagree on protecting overseas teams whilst others can be subject to it, playing in the same division, shopping in the same market place for player's, same access to the same coaches, it is no fault only their own if they cannot manage their season better than any of the other teams, everything you want to be equal till it comes relegation, it's a soft cop out Tommy.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Exactly so, but just accept you made boo boo, it is not often so it shines like a beacon on a dark night.

We will forever disagree on protecting overseas teams whilst others can be subject to it, playing in the same division, shopping in the same market place for player's, same access to the same coaches, it is no fault only their own if they cannot manage their season better than any of the other teams, everything you want to be equal till it comes relegation, it's a soft cop out Tommy.

I didn't though, I was glad someone else proffered the idea I support.

I don't particularly want everything to be equal either.

7 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Of course it is great for Rovers to be in Super League but when it comes down to it I would rather have RL and a Rovers stuck in the lower leagues to watch than neither at all.

The game is skint and becoming increasingly irrelevant to the media, sponsors and the public.  A Super League with Toulouse, London, Newcastle and Ottawa if they get off the ground would give the league a more national feel to it and overseas exposure that could attract more money into the game and the more that comes in the more will filter down to the lower leagues. The clubs I mentioned would have a much better chance of growing to compete with the top clubs if they aren’t having to look over their shoulder at the drop all the time.

For the game to have a future it needs to be attractive to the next generation of sports fan who will be able tune in to Liverpool v Bayern or Leicester Tigers v Stade Francais so RL needs something it can offer to try and match them. As there are no other European leagues of a similar standard to SL and not likely to be for a very long time the next best thing is to have some overseas teams in the league and with what will hopefully a better run Ottawa another chance for North American exposure. If they were all relegated we would end up back to square one as a regionalised northern sport that nobody would care about.

Money will ' filter down ' , how exactly ? 

6 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The important thing for me is that there is a Rovers to continue to follow. The Championship is a competitive league and would be a good, worthwhile prize to win, promotion or not.

Have you ever been on the outside of a closed shop ? 

7 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The important thing for me is that there is a Rovers to continue to follow. The Championship is a competitive league and would be a good, worthwhile prize to win, promotion or not.

So tell me , what attendances due Rovers get outside SL ? , As I recall they were similar to Leigh's , guess what , be outside a closed shop SL and those averages will start to drop , just as they did at Leigh , over the licencing period they dropped from mid 2,000s down to 1400 , the decline would have continued down to 3 numbers , of that I have no doubt , so you will still be happy watching your beloved Rovers at New Craven Park with the other 800 , while your neighbours build from strength to strength 

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

Yes 'arry but all you've provided there is evidence as to why we'll continue doing the same old things and then expecting it not to end in tears each time.

Tears are part of sport , tears of joy , tears of despair 

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If those were the rules, we’d have to abide by them and the “reward” would go to another team. 

It does not sound right but that’s not because of xenophobia, it’s because relegation is daft. 

And promotion is wonderful

26 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Tears are part of sport , tears of joy , tears of despair 

Gubby are you deliberately misunderstanding what I typed?

And relegation is not just about the tears of losing a match.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

42 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So tell me , what attendances due Rovers get outside SL ? , As I recall they were similar to Leigh's , guess what , be outside a closed shop SL and those averages will start to drop , just as they did at Leigh , over the licencing period they dropped from mid 2,000s down to 1400 , the decline would have continued down to 3 numbers , of that I have no doubt , so you will still be happy watching your beloved Rovers at New Craven Park with the other 800 , while your neighbours build from strength to strength 

Same figures at Fev in the Championship during closed shop times....absolutely no doubt they would have continued to drop too. With P&R figures for all clubs across all leagues can gradually creep upwards not speed frickin downwards.......

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Two sides of the same coin , you can't have one without the other , did he offer not to be promoted ?

No they're two sides of a barrier and a detrimental one at that.

It's obvious that being in favour of promotion when you're on the wrong side of the border does not mean you'll feel the same way on the other.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Promotion is what true sport is all about, and the potential of average clubs to better themselves against bigger teams with alleged better players brings out the romance in any sport.

The Aussies don't really need it as their reserve grade is top notch and a great competition in its own right, but we have 30 odd teams fighting tooth and nail to better themselves in every aspect. Aussies tried expansion and quickly realised that their Country is so big (Perth), soon binned it. We just toy around with it and waste money like confetti !

Barrow got shafted, Keighley got shafted, Fev got Shafted, Hunslet got shafted and for what ? RL had an arrogant administration back then and just look at the RFU and use Exeter as an example. Unfancied, small club in comparison to your Leicesters etc.... and look what happened. All 4 RL clubs above should have had a crack, but we don't like the romance do we ?

All the millions spent on expansion could well have resulted in 20 stable professional RL clubs and we still toy around and struggle with 11.

Promotion must remain and fans must live with the heartbreak of relegation. It makes us more resilient and relegation has not done clubs like Huddersfield (eventually) or Castleford any harm, or to be honest, Leigh for that Matter.

The criteria set by the RFL is laughable and to be honest we shouldn't even be going through this. It should remain 11 clubs with 1 down and 2 up next year with the million quid invested into the 2 new promoted teams and a parachute for 1 relegated side, but Sky want their pound of flesh.

Location should play no part whatsoever on who gets promoted. We have been scorned with expansion for years. It should go to the most sustainable club who has the best Business model and for who will be ultra competitive on the pitch. For competitiveness alone, that rules out Bradford, York and London, so good luck to the other 3.

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I would still be happy to watch promotion or not, I would rather be the best in the Championship than the worst in Super League. I don't support Hull FC so it doesn't bother me what they do. Our attendances before Super League were similar to Leigh's and if we were challenging for the Championship every year I'm sure that they would hold up.

Archived