Halifax Panthers

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

With the bombers being seen as non-PC, I always thought Flyers would have been a good alternative.

Vaguely amusingly (only vaguely), whilst looking up who else in the world is called Bombers (because I only know Essendon of the AFL), I've come across a couple of places where the nickname was considered as an alternative to definitely non PC names like Redskins.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

In what way?

What clubs call themselves and how they present that is absolutely key to who they are and how their supporters - and non supporters even - feel about the club.

It's kind of important to get right.

I mean serious as in this intention to present this serious or scary avatar for them. 

Its an inherently silly thing and should really just be something to have fun with. 

As an example of success in SL Ronnie the Rhino has been pretty successful for Leeds but he is just a big silly cuddly toy for the kids. Nobody is pretending that there is some link between Leeds and Rhinos or the Rhinos are a representation of the spirit of Leeds RLFC. 

Is just a cartoon rhinoceros having some fun.  

1 minute ago, Scotchy1 said:

I mean serious as in this intention to present this serious or scary avatar for them. 

Its an inherently silly thing and should really just be something to have fun with. 

As an example of success in SL Ronnie the Rhino has been pretty successful for Leeds but he is just a big silly cuddly toy for the kids. Nobody is pretending that there is some link between Leeds and Rhinos or the Rhinos are a representation of the spirit of Leeds RLFC. 

Is just a cartoon rhinoceros having some fun.  

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood.

In which case, I think broadly we agree. These things don't succeed or fail based on the fact that panthers are black or unknown in Halifax, they succeed or fail based on how well they're done and if they connect.

The problem I have with this at the minute is that feels pretty much like the club could decide this time next year that they're not really the Panthers, they are [insert something here]. It all seems a bit Hunslet Hawks right now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood.

In which case, I think broadly we agree. These things don't succeed or fail based on the fact that panthers are black or unknown in Halifax, they succeed or fail based on how well they're done and if they connect.

The problem I have with this at the minute is that feels pretty much like the club could decide this time next year that they're not really the Panthers, they are [insert something here]. It all seems a bit Hunslet Hawks right now.

It does all seem a bit half-arsed. Say what you will about the bluesox They used it for 6 years and nearly 20 years later people remember it.

I dont know why it is but sports teams always seem to gravitate to some sort of wild cat or some huge mythical beast and frankly they all seem to just drift by. 

Successful ones are usually a bit different, a bit silly and can be looked at as a little bit of high camp almost self parody. 

If it were me, id choose a random endangered animal that looks a bit silly and go with it. A few charity 'save the Gorilla shirts' or an all white 'Polar Bear international' kit and you are raising awareness of the charity and yourself and have a reason for having a man dressed as a big white bear clowning around for the kids. 

4 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

I dont know why it is but sports teams always seem to gravitate to some sort of wild cat or some huge mythical beast and frankly they all seem to just drift by. 

It's nice when you come across something a bit different. Which is why I always recommend spending time with minor league baseball nicknames.

Again, proving you can have fun with anything ...

Fay Woodpeckers.png

17 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Strange. No big unveiling. Nothing on their website. I wonder if there was any consultation with fans and if there were any other options. 

Still, they’re seemingly moving with the times but it’s about how they use this new identity that ultimately matters.

I grew up with them as the Blue Sox, I know I’ll be in the minority but I quite liked it. 

New website: www.Halifaxpanthers.co.uk

17 hours ago, M j M said:

Now you're getting it! It built up enough attention.

Not going to read all the comments. It won’t change my opinion. Halifax Panthers. Really? I mean REALLY?

The Panthers. It’s ok for Aussie teams like the Titans to come up w dung names. We have less culture than a tub of yoghurt. Is “Panthers” the best that a club with 147 years of history, a town with centuries of recorded history could imagine themselves as? This is the best that the club could do to become more relevant to the youth of Halifax?

What a shame such history brings such little imagination. Pathetic.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Vaguely amusingly (only vaguely), whilst looking up who else in the world is called Bombers (because I only know Essendon of the AFL), I've come across a couple of places where the nickname was considered as an alternative to definitely non PC names like Redskins.

How about the Halifax Blueskins?

Would that have been non-PC?

Actually I liked the Blue Sox moniker because it had relevance to the club's colours and the 'sox' element was a nod to the town's textile history.

The interesting thing about the Blue Sox was that the crowd actually used to chant that name, which I suppose is the ultimate test of a moniker.

6 minutes ago, Fax Machine said:

Now you're getting it! It built up enough attention.

I'm impressed both that the club thought about doing it and the local press got on board with it (if they knew).

I wonder what my old mate Tony Fax from rlfans thinks of it.

Certainly some locals aren't fans of being duped -

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's nice when you come across something a bit different. Which is why I always recommend spending time with minor league baseball nicknames.

Again, proving you can have fun with anything ...

Fay Woodpeckers.png

Agreed. The Mad Squirrels Vrchlabí is the best name in rugby league, I bet they’d sell a few shirts in this country just off that. 

https://m.facebook.com/rugby.league.vrchlabi/?locale2=en_GB

11 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Not going to read all the comments. It won’t change my opinion. Halifax Panthers. Really? I mean REALLY?

The Panthers. It’s ok for Aussie teams like the Titans to come up w dung names. We have less culture than a tub of yoghurt. Is “Panthers” the best that a club with 147 years of history, a town with centuries of recorded history could imagine themselves as. This is the best that the club could do to become more relevant to the youth of Halifax.

What a shame such history brings such little imagination. Pathetic.

How about the Halifax Building Societies then? 

9 minutes ago, M j M said:

I'm impressed both that the club thought about doing it and the local press got on board with it (if they knew).

I wonder what my old mate Tony Fax from rlfans thinks of it.

Certainly some locals aren't fans of being duped -

“Sharon” is based in the US. So technically, the PR stunt has worked as its reach here shows. Had they just called a press conference, she wouldn’t have heard about it. 

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

“Sharon” is based in the US. So technically, the PR stunt has worked as its reach here shows. Had they just called a press conference, she wouldn’t have heard about it. 

It’s amazing that Sharon from the USA gives enough of a about this to write about it on Twitter, not just once either, incredible. 

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

With all that is going on in the US at the moment I think it's a bit rich having a go at us. One lie after another from their (ex) president has made them the laughing stock of the world

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s amazing that Sharon from the USA gives enough of a about this to write about it on Twitter, not just once either, incredible. 

3 minutes ago, Fax Machine said:

With all that is going on in the US at the moment I think it's a bit rich having a go at us. 

I’ve got no idea who she is or why she’s verified on Twitter but I think that adds nicely to an American woman being upset that a second tier sports team from England have used a hoax video of a big cat on the loose as a PR stunt. 

Archived