Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I take a rather less confrontational approach.

I found it's a bit like talking about every topic from brexit to cake preferences that the softly softly approach has never caught a monkey and making it lively stops eyes glazing over. And otherwise they offer me tickets they don't want, to kick and clap matches, I don't like.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know what, I am not sure the sport could do much more than what it has done so far on the World Cup. The draw was made at Buckingham Palace by the Duke of Sussex among others and the venues a

Just to complete the story, this week's sports section of The Sunday Times begins with a letter from someone in York, criticising the RLWC omission last week, and, unusually, there is a brief but uneq

Both can be true.  The reality is that there aren't many RL journalists out there these days, particuarly at the nationals.  The journalists that are out there are pressured to deliver more

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

 Rugby is League on this forum 

I don`t think Rugby should ever be League, or League should ever be Rugby. Not here, not anywhere. It implies that the game on the field is called "Rugby", and that "League" is merely a reference to off-field matters. In the past, that would have been professionalism.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I don`t think Rugby should ever be League, or League should ever be Rugby. Not here, not anywhere. It implies that the game on the field is called "Rugby", and that "League" is merely a reference to off-field matters. In the past, that would have been professionalism.

Too late UP  TGG is Rugby everything else is a perversion James Giltinan said so in the First Kangaroos!

  • Like 2

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally find that punching anyone in the face who declares they like Rugby Union, then stomping on their goolies until they cry ‘no more’ usually wins people round. Oh yes, leave that reasonable approach to the yawnion lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I personally find that punching anyone in the face who declares they like Rugby Union, then stomping on their goolies until they cry ‘no more’ usually wins people round. Oh yes, leave that reasonable approach to the yawnion lot. 

I was intending to go back to your post about dance music, and kindly offer to bore you to death on the subtle nuances between all the different genres and sub-genres. I`ve largely lost touch now, but it used to be full-on Judean People`s Front stuff.

In light of the above outburst, I think I`ll leave it. Are these impulses fuelled by Scrumpy and Witches Brew?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I was intending to go back to your post about dance music, and kindly offer to bore you to death on the subtle nuances between all the different genres and sub-genres. I`ve largely lost touch now, but it used to be full-on Judean People`s Front stuff.

In light of the above outburst, I think I`ll leave it. Are these impulses fuelled by Scrumpy and Witches Brew?

Relax, I was only joking. I go no further than a punch in the face.

As for the music genres, most of them end up splitting in a hundred different sub genres. There was punk, then hardcore, then UK82, then thrash, then ukhc, punk-metal crossover, speedcore..then grindcore, blastbeat, d-beat, you get the picture. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Relax, I was only joking. I go no further than a punch in the face.

As for the music genres, most of them end up splitting in a hundred different sub genres. There was punk, then hardcore, then UK82, then thrash, then ukhc, punk-metal crossover, speedcore..then grindcore, blastbeat, d-beat, you get the picture. 

You`ve omitted your New Romantic phase.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

You`ve omitted your New Romantic phase.

"What do we get for our trouble and pain.

Whalley Range ... Whalley Range!"

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/01/2021 at 18:06, Wirral Warrior said:

 

Thanks to your provision of the e mail , I also got a prompt reply.

"Apologies for the oversight which you rightly say should not have happened. Hope it didn't detract too much from your enjoyment of the paper.

Regards,

Nick Greenslade,

deputy editor, Sunday Times Sport"

 

Proves it is always worth all of us highlighting poor media coverage as requested on the original post

Spot on. Hope everyone on here has done so too

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I personally find that punching anyone in the face who declares they like Rugby Union, then stomping on their goolies until they cry ‘no more’ usually wins people round. Oh yes, leave that reasonable approach to the yawnion lot. 

The worst punishment for such people is surely watching rah rah itself...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/01/2021 at 18:06, Wirral Warrior said:

 

Thanks to your provision of the e mail , I also got a prompt reply.

"Apologies for the oversight which you rightly say should not have happened. Hope it didn't detract too much from your enjoyment of the paper.

Regards,

Nick Greenslade,

deputy editor, Sunday Times Sport"

 

Proves it is always worth all of us highlighting poor media coverage as requested on the original post

With the best will in the world, this response (to you) is of no value to us/the game, whatsoever and Mr Greenslade is well aware of that.

Its also further evidence that the omission was a deliberate act, designed to keep the tournament out of the public consciousness.

If the tw....t was a man of integrity, he would have printed a half page apology in the blo ody paper! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2021 at 14:27, unapologetic pedant said:

I don`t think Rugby should ever be League, or League should ever be Rugby. Not here, not anywhere. It implies that the game on the field is called "Rugby", and that "League" is merely a reference to off-field matters. In the past, that would have been professionalism.

If i ever meet anyone who doesn't know about Rugby League, or who does know it exists but doesn't know the difference, I always explain it like this.

'' You know when they make whisky, they take a load of malted barley and mash it up, then mix it with warm water, then they heat it to dry it and mash it up and mix it (again with warm  water) and stir it for hours. Then they draw off the sugar rich wort  leaving the husks and useless mash (called draff) behind. It's now when they add the yeast and allow the wash to ferment. After fermentation the wash is distilled at least twice before heating and condensing (twice) and carefully drawing off only the best spirit to produce the finished product.?''

Well Rugby League (after a hundred years of refinement) is like the purest, finest Malt Whisky and Ra Ra is the much greater volume of the bitter residue of husks, mash and rancid liquor (draff) left behind.

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to complete the story, this week's sports section of The Sunday Times begins with a letter from someone in York, criticising the RLWC omission last week, and, unusually, there is a brief but unequivocal apology from the sports editorial team immediately underneath it.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Just to complete the story, this week's sports section of The Sunday Times begins with a letter from someone in York, criticising the RLWC omission last week, and, unusually, there is a brief but unequivocal apology from the sports editorial team immediately underneath it.

That might well be me. 

Though I guess other York residents could have been similarly outraged. 🙂

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2021 at 00:26, fighting irish said:

With the best will in the world, this response (to you) is of no value to us/the game, whatsoever and Mr Greenslade is well aware of that.

Its also further evidence that the omission was a deliberate act, designed to keep the tournament out of the public consciousness.

If the tw....t was a man of integrity, he would have printed a half page apology in the blo ody paper! 

I totally disagree that this is of 'no value'...all acts, no matter how small increase the consciousness of our sport.

I have the guys email address - I shall haunt him going forward...

What is the alternative?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Just to complete the story, this week's sports section of The Sunday Times begins with a letter from someone in York, criticising the RLWC omission last week, and, unusually, there is a brief but unequivocal apology from the sports editorial team immediately underneath it.

Bang !!

Brilliant - shows the value of drawing this to the attention of the Sunday Times - Stephen Jones will be pleased !

I did point out if the ST does not cover TGG how will know what the future of Union will look like !

Whoever started this thread - well done - next time there is a similar 'accidental' ommision lets again mobilse forces....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/01/2021 at 07:08, Pie tries said:

I agree - however have you written to the ST to complain?

We ALL need to this this. I’ve written numerous letter over the years complaining about the Luddite idiot Stephen Jones - with a couple of apologies along the way.

If we don’t complain we won’t get anywhere. Everyone who reads this thread must do so. It takes seconds to dig out the email address

sportletter@sunday-times.co.uk

 

 

On 06/01/2021 at 00:23, Wirral Warrior said:

Yes  - I have - to both David Walsh and ST , both via Twitter. Guess what....no reply. However thanks for the e mail address and complaint number 3 will be soon on its way.

You have nailed my basic point - its no use us whining and wailing about being overlooked , lets all get out there and call them out!

Well done the pair of you, we can make a difference, if everyone on here fired off an email or twitter in outrage over the omission in last weeks paper, literally hundreds, certainly scores instead of just agreeing with that `we`ve done all we can` and `that`s just the way it is`, we may well have got a proper article of our own covering the tournament, especially if the IRL had a nice little piece prepared, what is the point of having `OURLEAGUE` if your not prepared to use to reach fans and rally them, what ####### me is that the IRL should have moles on these sites and when something like this happen be rallying the troops instead of leaving it to blokes like you to provide contact points with the various media outlets. ABSOLUTELY NO IMAGINATION.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

What is the alternative?

If there is one thing the last 4 or 5 years has taught us, it is that there is no longer a need for organisations and individuals to channel their message through traditional media.

The modern world has multiple platforms available where the sport can reach individuals with direct messages and self created content.  These platforms have hundreds of millions of users and so not only is it a more efficient way to reach your audience, it also has far greater reach.

We can try and change the mindset and priorities of a newspaper that has been around for almost 200 years or we could concentrate our efforts on the new world and opportunities it presents.

Look, I have no problems with people pestering the likes of the Sunday Times and getting some traction but do we really think it will significantly change anything that the paper does?  A decade ago that thought would depress me but all it does now is emphasis how critical it is that the World Cup and the individual clubs and bodies build innovative and engaging digital content.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

Bang !!

Brilliant - shows the value of drawing this to the attention of the Sunday Times - Stephen Jones will be pleased !

I did point out if the ST does not cover TGG how will know what the future of Union will look like !

Whoever started this thread - well done - next time there is a similar 'accidental' ommision lets again mobilse forces....

I like your point about what Ru will look like in the future, PT!

Incidentally, what I omitted to say in my post yesterday was that the paper's tabloid-sized sports section also had a double page spread on concussion in rugby, with about 35 to 40% of the text (I haven't measured the column inches precisely!) being a piece by Stevie Ward on the issue in our code.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If there is one thing the last 4 or 5 years has taught us, it is that there is no longer a need for organisations and individuals to channel their message through traditional media.

The modern world has multiple platforms available where the sport can reach individuals with direct messages and self created content.  These platforms have hundreds of millions of users and so not only is it a more efficient way to reach your audience, it also has far greater reach.

We can try and change the mindset and priorities of a newspaper that has been around for almost 200 years or we could concentrate our efforts on the new world and opportunities it presents.

Look, I have no problems with people pestering the likes of the Sunday Times and getting some traction but do we really think it will significantly change anything that the paper does?  A decade ago that thought would depress me but all it does now is emphasis how critical it is that the World Cup and the individual clubs and bodies build innovative and engaging digital content.

Agreed............basketball have done this brilliantly, as has NFL to some extent too

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

If there is one thing the last 4 or 5 years has taught us, it is that there is no longer a need for organisations and individuals to channel their message through traditional media.

 

 

25 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Agreed............basketball have done this brilliantly, as has NFL to some extent too

The reality is though the newspapers still set the News agenda for most days. Most morning Radio Breakfast shows and morning TV shows base their segments on what the main stories in those days newspapers are.. This includes their sports segments. It`s easy because it`s all written and researched for them and they know that a lot of people will still read the paper later that day and pick up on the story. It`s topical for at least that day.

Just quoting Newspaper circulation figures only tells a fraction of the story.

So if there is a big article on the RLWC they are much more likely to broach it on their programmes.

Not to mention every time I turn on my computer and the first page is covered in articles lifted from Newspapers. Sports and otherwise. Which when people sit down at their desk at work or otherwise, and turn on their computer and is the first thing they see.

 

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

 

The reality is though the newspapers still set the News agenda for most days. Most morning Radio Breakfast shows and morning TV shows base their segments on what the main stories in those days newspapers are.. This includes their sports segments. It`s easy because it`s all written and researched for them and they know that a lot of people will still read the paper later that day and pick up on the story. It`s topical for at least that day.

Just quoting Newspaper circulation figures only tells a fraction of the story.

So if there is a big article on the RLWC they are much more likely to broach it on their programmes.

Not to mention every time I turn on my computer and the first page is covered in articles lifted from Newspapers. Sports and otherwise. Which when people sit down at their desk at work or otherwise, and turn on their computer and is the first thing they see.

 

Yes I take your point, however will that be the case in 10 years time? A lot of the younger generation obtain their info from social media platforms. I’m not saying we should ignore it but it’s significance has certainly diminished 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...