NRL on Sky

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Are there really areas of Sydney where Aussie Rules is bigger than League? 

I wondered that too. When I lived in Vancouver we had loads of transient Aussies who came over for a couple of years to work the ski hills and then work in summer tourist attraction. They seemed to be almost exclusively from Adelaide and Melbourne and to hear them speak the AFL was Australia’s most popular sport by a long way. You would get the odd Union fan but virtually no RL supporters (in fact they used to mock me for being an RL fan, asking why I followed a dying game). It just goes to show that you can’t base your judgement on people’s perceptions, and I think the same thing about the NRL applies here too, just because people from Sydney and Brisbane think it’s a high demand TV sport based on how it rates there doesn’t mean it is anywhere else. Sadly TV companies will pay the lowest price they can get away with as outside of Aus it’s probably just a schedule filler.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You had me on warm weather all year round 

Just one thing.... Spiders, snakes, sharks and crocodiles.... Should I be worried? 

Since we moved back on the farm (15 yrs) we`ve had a snake twice in the house, a red-belly black, not overly dangerous or aggressive, but bloody hard to find once they`re inside, the first one slid right past me while I was watching TV! We pretty quickly found it and put it out  with the broom. No harm done. When I was a kid there was a red-belly black living under the floorboards in my bedroom for a couple of years, it used to come and go through the side of the house, you would hardly  know it was there. A foolish but well meaning Uncle, who was visiting from Sydney, waited for it and killed it with the rake, privately all us kids weren`t happy.

My sister lives with Diamond pythons in her attic out at her place, they will bite you if you scare them, but generally more interested in the rodents or a possum. They are a magnificent creature and grow to 7 foot.

People who are scared of snakes and think they are doing a public service by killing them give me the #######, 99.999% of the time leave them alone and they do likewise.

3 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

I wondered that too. When I lived in Vancouver we had loads of transient Aussies who came over for a couple of years to work the ski hills and then work in summer tourist attraction. They seemed to be almost exclusively from Adelaide and Melbourne and to hear them speak the AFL was Australia’s most popular sport by a long way. You would get the odd Union fan but virtually no RL supporters (in fact they used to mock me for being an RL fan, asking why I followed a dying game). It just goes to show that you can’t base your judgement on people’s perceptions, and I think the same thing about the NRL applies here too, just because people from Sydney and Brisbane think it’s a high demand TV sport based on how it rates there doesn’t mean it is anywhere else. Sadly TV companies will pay the lowest price they can get away with as outside of Aus it’s probably just a schedule filler.

I guess if you’re immersed in something in your own area (eg AFL in Victoria) then you would think it was loads more important than it actually is. 

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Since we moved back on the farm (15 yrs) we`ve had a snake twice in the house, a red-belly black, not overly dangerous or aggressive, but bloody hard to find once they`re inside, the first one slid right past me while I was watching TV! We pretty quickly found it and put it out  with the broom. No harm done. When I was a kid there was a red-belly black living under the floorboards in my bedroom for a couple of years, it used to come and go through the side of the house, you would hardly  know it was there. A foolish but well meaning Uncle, who was visiting from Sydney, waited for it and killed it with the rake, privately all us kids weren`t happy.

My sister lives with Diamond pythons in her attic out at her place, they will bite you if you scare them, but generally more interested in the rodents or a possum. They are a magnificent creature and grow to 7 foot.

People who are scared of snakes and think they are doing a public service by killing them give me the #######, 99.999% of the time leave them alone and they do likewise.

Watched a show by ' Saul the snake guy ' at surfers nearly 20 years ago , he kept his ' pass the plate round ' takings in the sack with the ' brown ' 😉 , said nobody will nick it 😁

13 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It would be the spiders that would me up, I’d rather go to sleep in a room with a small venomous one than one of those massive ones. 

18 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Totally agree, it’s usually the case with most wildlife.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It would be the spiders that would me up, I’d rather go to sleep in a room with a small venomous one than one of those massive ones. 

Its funny you post that Eddie because I was going to say the same thing but thought I was going on a bit too far, yes but it`s the same for me, it`s big hairy spiders that bite always give me the creeps, but I don`t feel the need to kill them though. 

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

While knowing relatively little about it (I am in the Cloud side) the company I work for is a global social media marketing business and I have seen some wonderful things we have done with some household brands. If we decided to invest with meaning into the social media world (with joined up and innoviative content) I think we could come on miles. Anyway, that is another topic.

And there it is in there. Somewhere in there is the answer, somehow we have to make a tired old brand fashionable, that gets the kids and phone `addicted` sharing Rugby League content. As a sport we are still very lucky to have a World Cup to spring board from, but how.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

The big ones are generally Huntsman spiders and they like to live in houses. I have a few in my house at the moment. They tend to stay on the walls waiting for prey. I leave them alone as they are free insect control.

Huntsman are famous for hiding behind the sun visor in cars. When you flip it down they fall on you while driving down the freeway..

The other day my partner drove home with one right next to her leg. She’s English and wasn’t raised with spiders so she wasn’t too happy about it. 

6 hours ago, Copa said:

Huntsman are famous for hiding behind the sun visor in cars. When you flip it down they fall on you while driving down the freeway..

The other day my partner drove home with one right next to her leg. She’s English and wasn’t raised with spiders so she wasn’t too happy about it. 

We hired a car a few years back when visiting Cairns, pulled the sun visor down and this beast dropped down on my lap, luckily it was 4am so when I veered across the road towards a ditch, screaming, I didnt hit anyone. 

Anyway, it turns out it was just a bit of fluff. 

I can remember years ago discussing with my young sport loving son the possibility of emigrating to Australia,no chance dad was hie reply.

Shocked I asked why will you miss your mates,family too much,no he replied then went on to say dad if you swim in the sea,sharks eat you,if you swim in the river crocodiles eat you,you play outside snakes get you and if you go to the loo there is a spider called a 2 step that can bite & kill you,mind I’ve got the spider one sorted,if the 2 step bites me I’ll be ok I’ll just stand still !

Bloody discovery channel,we never emigrated although in my 3 trips down under I’ve yet to see a snake or a spider outside of a zoo.

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We hired a car a few years back when visiting Cairns, pulled the sun visor down and this beast dropped down on my lap, luckily it was 4am so when I veered across the road towards a ditch, screaming, I didnt hit anyone. 

Anyway, it turns out it was just a bit of fluff. 

Now you live in Scotland Dave Dundee has a nice ring to it. 😉

12 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah but it's the sharks that will really get you I guess 

Quite a few people who've been to Aus have moaned that the jellyfish can make the beaches unusable sometimes? 

From watching the NRL on Sky to living with big hairy spiders in just 4 pages.  The wonders of the internet, god bless Tim Berners-Lee.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Quite a few people who've been to Aus have moaned that the jellyfish can make the beaches unusable sometimes? 

I think there was 9 shark fatalities in Australia in 2020, that was the most in a long, long time, it really had a lot of people spooked, lots of people who had surfed all there lives weren`t going out. There was surf shops up and down the coast going out of business. I think statistically though you were still actually much safer in the water than on the roads, but it`s the nature  of the attacks and the headlines they generate that really spooks people. There was one in WA about a month ago where they didn`t find a body just a bit of chewed up wetsuit of a scuba diver that was missing and a great white had been seen in the area earlier that day.

There`s a bloke up the coast at Evans Head, I think, who after being attacked twice, and apparently had a couple of other encounters has started a club called `Bite Club` for shark attack survivors. Let me know when he`s going in the water cause I`m getting out.

Having said all that there was no fatalities in 2019, so work it out.

As far as Jelly Fish, that would be the Box Jelly Fish in Far North Queensland, there are certain times of the year when they don`t recommend going in the water because their sting is deadly, I think their stingers can literally trail for 10`s of metres and are very painful but they don`t of course deliberately attack people.

I think what you may be referring to may be Blue Bottles which we get more often down south, there was a big swarm of them washed ashore in Sydney the other day, they will give you a nasty sting but aren`t fatal, they are about 10cm long, but are usually only a problem a couple of times every summer.

Any way mate, don`t let it put you off, you`re welcome down here anytime.

30 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Are there any Rugby League teams in Australia named after Snakes or Spiders? None spring to mind.

Guaranteed to be some small country Rugby League Club somewhere called something or other after a snake or spider, but the only high profile sporting team I can think of is the basketball team the Cairns Taipans, named after the snake.

Funny thing though with the spider name because one of the commentators favourite expressions down here for a bloke who`s making lots of breaks is " he`s playing like he`s got spiders on him". i.e no one will touch him.

14 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I think there was 9 shark fatalities in Australia in 2020, that was the most in a long, long time, it really had a lot of people spooked, lots of people who had surfed all there lives weren`t going out. There was surf shops up and down the coast going out of business. I think statistically though you were still actually much safer in the water than on the roads, but it`s the nature  of the attacks and the headlines they generate that really spooks people. There was one in WA about a month ago where they didn`t find a body just a bit of chewed up wetsuit of a scuba diver that was missing and a great white had been seen in the area earlier that day.

There`s a bloke up the coast at Evans Head, I think, who after being attacked twice, and apparently had a couple of other encounters has started a club called `Bite Club` for shark attack survivors. Let me know when he`s going in the water cause I`m getting out.

Having said all that there was no fatalities in 2019, so work it out.

As far as Jelly Fish, that would be the Box Jelly Fish in Far North Queensland, there are certain times of the year when they don`t recommend going in the water because their sting is deadly, I think their stingers can literally trail for 10`s of metres and are very painful but they don`t of course deliberately attack people.

I think what you may be referring to may be Blue Bottles which we get more often down south, there was a big swarm of them washed ashore in Sydney the other day, they will give you a nasty sting but aren`t fatal, they are about 10cm long, but are usually only a problem a couple of times every summer.

Any way mate, don`t let it put you off, you`re welcome down here anytime.

I've had a few non fatal bites from women in Luton nightclubs in my past do I'm not easily scared 

Hoping to do the East Coast next UK summer.... I guess we'll see what Covid has to say about it! 

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Most suburban beaches have shark alarms. If you hear it go off, head to shore.

And yes, jellyfish (this one in particular https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_man_o'_war ) can close a beach when 1000s turn up. Sometimes only a few turn up and you take your chances. I’ve been stung a few times and it hurts. It especially hurts when the stinger wraps around your leg and torso and gets tangled up.

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I forgot to add to my previous post...

To get an insight into Australian life go to the Facebook pages called:

Dorsal - Central NSW Shark Reports 

Dorsal Shark Reports - Australia 

ACT Snake Sightings 

The best thing about Lockdown 1 last year was the Aussies getting their act together and being the first major sport to return with the NRL.

The coverage was excellent and the on field standard superb. Getting the chance to watch every game and really immerse myself in it was a treasure.

I am primarily a Wigan fan but got to say that having had the chance to watch all the NRL games I would have gladly kept full coverage when Super League returned and that Super League just didn’t even come close to the same interest for me outside my own teams matches.

Archived