New North American Competition?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this does come off then i think the sweary filter is going to break... the excitement of some and the sheer exasperation of others who will be "why not put the money into the heartlands :kolobok_dash1:" will make the whole internet explode!

God knows how this is going to play out, but the announcement is beyond anything any of us was expecting. Anyone attempting to predict the success/failure of this is BS-ing.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Interesting article with a lot from Perez. This is just a sample but loads of info here:

In a blockbuster announcement — the North American Rugby League, which will in 2022, include teams from Ottawa and Toronto — was introduced Wednesday.

The Ottawa Aces, which were supposed to enter European-based Rugby Football League’s Betfred League 1 (as a relocation of the Hemel Stags) in 2021, had already postponed their entry for a year. The Aces haven’t given up on League 1, but were quick to jump on an offer to join the North American League. The Aces are still exploring ways to play in RFL, but the COVID-19 pandemic is complicating that. It’s possible sometime in the future the Aces could field a couple of teams, with some player crossover – one in RFL, the other in the NARL.

It’s expected the Toronto team will use the name Wolfpack, with a new ownership group taking over. The Wolfpack was kicked out of the RFL’s Super League late last year.

The NARL will play its first round of games on June 19 in Brooklyn and June 20 in Las Vegas. Teams from across the U.S. will compete in two conferences —the East Coast Conference with the Atlanta Rhinos, Boston Thirteens, Brooklyn Kings, Cleveland Rugby League, New York Rugby League and Washington Cavalry and the West Coast Conference with the Austin Armadillos, Las Vegas Blackjacks, Phoenix Venom, Portland Loggers, San Diego Swell and San Francisco Rush.

Aces president Eric Perez said he was contacted by the new league in late December.

“We weren’t looking for this, they came to us and wanted us in,” said Perez. “There was no hesitation when they told me the business plan, the cities involved, the commercial deals they’re putting together. They’re going to be a big player.”

RUGBY BLOCKBUSTER: New North American league will include Ottawa, Toronto teams | Toronto Sun

9 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Think I might be missing something but it looks like the Canadian teams only play each other once to qualify for the playoffs? 

It's twice - home and away. But, still. I guess with Covid there's no alternative to having Canada as a separate conference and needs must.

But I mean ... wow. This is something, isn't it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I take it Ottawa Aces won't be joining the RFL set-up. https://www.ottawaaces.com/ottawa-aces-join-newly-founded-narl

I wonder what the RFL/Super League/IRL think about all this. It seems a kind of Kerry Packer unofficial breakaway thing.

I can see both parties (RFL and Aces) being relieved!  It's an ideal outcome for both of them and no longer have the constant logistical headache. 

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I take it Ottawa Aces won't be joining the RFL set-up. https://www.ottawaaces.com/ottawa-aces-join-newly-founded-narl

I wonder what the RFL/Super League/IRL think about all this. It seems a kind of Kerry Packer unofficial breakaway thing.

We've done that with Super League in Australia. This is no more a breakaway than MLS is a break from La Liga.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Interesting article with a lot from Perez:

In a blockbuster announcement — the North American Rugby League, which will in 2022, include teams from Ottawa and Toronto — was introduced Wednesday.

The Ottawa Aces, which were supposed to enter European-based Rugby Football League’s Betfred League 1 (as a relocation of the Hemel Stags) in 2021, had already postponed their entry for a year. The Aces haven’t given up on League 1, but were quick to jump on an offer to join the North American League. The Aces are still exploring ways to play in RFL, but the COVID-19 pandemic is complicating that. It’s possible sometime in the future the Aces could field a couple of teams, with some player crossover – one in RFL, the other in the NARL.

It’s expected the Toronto team will use the name Wolfpack, with a new ownership group taking over. The Wolfpack was kicked out of the RFL’s Super League late last year.

The NARL will play its first round of games on June 19 in Brooklyn and June 20 in Las Vegas. Teams from across the U.S. will compete in two conferences —the East Coast Conference with the Atlanta Rhinos, Boston Thirteens, Brooklyn Kings, Cleveland Rugby League, New York Rugby League and Washington Cavalry and the West Coast Conference with the Austin Armadillos, Las Vegas Blackjacks, Phoenix Venom, Portland Loggers, San Diego Swell and San Francisco Rush.

Aces president Eric Perez said he was contacted by the new league in late December.

“We weren’t looking for this, they came to us and wanted us in,” said Perez. “There was no hesitation when they told me the business plan, the cities involved, the commercial deals they’re putting together. They’re going to be a big player.”

RUGBY BLOCKBUSTER: New North American league will include Ottawa, Toronto teams | Toronto Sun

It looks very good 

There will be some doubters of course but I'm already excited by this prospect 

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We've done that with Super League in Australia. This is no more a breakaway than MLS is a break from La Liga.

What I mean is it seems unsanctioned - if such a thing exists in rugby league! I'm not seeing any quotes from the IRL or the RFL or owt.

4 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Which of the announced teams don’t currently exist as active Rugby League sides? Just trying to get an impression of gown much is brand new and how much already exists.

All the west coast teams for a start. Cleveland in the East. The other are existing teams are variations on previous teams such as DC and New York.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

25 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I'll go down for the games...after all we've been through we will be back.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

see you at Lamport mate!

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

What I mean is it seems unsanctioned - if such a thing exists in rugby league! I'm not seeing any quotes from the IRL or the RFL or owt.

There have been issues with who actually is the governing body for RL in the USA before now. Other people will know more than me about which names to look out for with regards to that.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I'm not sure why you'd expect quotes from them. Its nothing to do with them really.

25 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Elstone is gonna make it happen...ya right...blimey!

He's sitting in a cellar somewhere totally bewildered and trying to phone his "research" team!

2 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

All the west coast teams for a start. Cleveland in the East. The other are existing teams are variations on previous teams such as DC and New York.

Interesting, where are the players going to be found for 6 teams (plus DC, who I don’t think existed before?) by June?

2 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Interesting, where are the players going to be found for 6 teams (plus DC, who I don’t think existed before?) by June?

That's the big question as it's not going to be easy pulling squads together at short notice, particularly in those new areas. DC and NOVA were kind of interchangable so theyll probably be the same players. 

Flying people in is also going to be difficult with COVID but it that relaxes I'd expect a lot of imports filling spots this year. I mentioned earlier, I think this year is a bit of a dry run anyway and it'll be bigger next year.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Archived