New North American Competition?

40 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Could David Argyle be convinced to invest in this new league structure?

Irrelevant at the time, I’d say.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Would you, if you were him? 

Depends how bitter it's made him feel. If he's passionate about RL in North America then he might want to invest or he might just have enjoyed the challenge of getting into SL

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Why irrelevant? Has he completely stepped away?

I’ve no idea if he has or hasn’t - and he may want to be involved. But, looking at what’s being suggested right now, none of this requires his involvement (assuming it’s not him putting up 300k).

He can turn up later if he wants. As can other people with money who we don’t know yet.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

It will be interesting to see. I along with others have often thought that a major draw for the Wolfpack was the novelty of playing in a foreign league and that 'starting your own league' wouldn't translate into the same popularity. I doubt they will be anywhere near as popular but I hope I'm wrong.

It will be interesting to see.. London in the 1930s was supposed to be set up (by one man) as a 6 team league (to run as the London League next to the Yorkshire League and Lancashire league), or at least that was his plan. All started to fall apart with the RFL not helping where they had promised and he ended up launching the 2 teams. Gates were pretty good but they dropped and the clubs werent survivable with extra costs of travel, extra money for encouraging players to move south, getting in expensive players (George Nepia for example). Can almost translate that to Toronto with very specific examples (costs of travel, expensive players SBW etc etc).

Will be interesting to see if the league idea works to have a more sustainable future and actually lift the whole area. 

NFL started with a small geographical spread with "small towns" involved (Canton Bulldogs being an original member and now hosts the hall of fame) now its a very different beast.

Just now, gingerjon said:

I’ve no idea if he has or hasn’t - and he may want to be involved. But, looking at what’s being suggested right now, none of this requires his involvement (assuming it’s not him putting up 300k).

He can turn up later if he wants. As can other people with money who we don’t know yet.

It's good that they've already got significant investment. If the competition goes well others may also decide to invest

4 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

It's good that they've already got significant investment. If the competition goes well others may also decide to invest

$300k for 8 teams isn’t a lot tbf, considering the costs of travel alone. Each club will surely need their own generous backers too. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

$300k for 8 teams isn’t a lot tbf, considering the costs of travel alone. Each club will surely need their own generous backers too. 

Maybe not per team but it's still potentially 2.4 million that is being invested. It's a good starting point

5 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Maybe not per team but it's still potentially 2.4 million that is being invested. It's a good starting point

Is it 300 each? I thought it was 300 in total. If it’s each then yeah that’s decent. 

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Is it 300 each? I thought it was 300 in total. If it’s each then yeah that’s decent. 

I've read back through the thread and I think I might just have assumed. Someone said it was on par with Championship clubs and then another poster said 300k central funding which I assumed was per team

30 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I've read back through the thread and I think I might just have assumed. Someone said it was on par with Championship clubs and then another poster said 300k central funding which I assumed was per team

Yes, each is what is being reported.

new rise.jpg

Just now, Pulga said:

Yes, each is what is being reported.

Blimey. I completely misunderstood and thought it was 300k total.

Game changer. Properly exciting.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It is very exciting. Like everyone, I just hope it's sustainable.

new rise.jpg

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's hardly a game changer, it's a very modest amount even for semi-pro sports.  Unless revenues can be brought in to pay the expenses of this rumoured new league it will collapse when the money runs out.

18 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It's hardly a game changer, it's a very modest amount even for semi-pro sports.  Unless revenues can be brought in to pay the expenses of this rumoured new league it will collapse when the money runs out.

In rugby league terms, it's equal to the entire income of Wales Rugby League.

Obviously it needs to be sustainable. But a cash injection of 300k per club for clubs whose previous cash injection was 0k is definitely game changing.

EDIT

Should clarify: the 300k each club is receiving (per rumours) is equal to the entire income of WRL.

14 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

you asked on another thread about drumming up interest for a 2029 world cup though... this could well be the start.. its a modest amount now, then announce a world cup and it may well grow from there.. 

38 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I disagree. From absolutely no funding and a very amateur setup to potentially semi-professional Championship level funding, if that happens, is a game changer.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I disagree. From absolutely no funding and a very amateur setup to potentially semi-professional Championship level funding, if that happens, is a game changer.

So do I mate. This makes me want to shout from the rooftops.

These stories of spontaneous outgrowths coming in, from all over the world have really lifted my spirits and confirmed my long held beliefs.

Once people see (the world over) what can be achieved on their own initiative and stop ''waiting for help'' then the game (because of its innate qualities) might just go viral.

I don't mean internet viral, I mean real, flesh and blood, grass and ball, whistles and flags, men and women, boys and girls.

Look out world, here we come.

The growth rate, is gathering speed, the upcoming World Cup could give it a massive boost.

6 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Could David Argyle be convinced to invest in this new league structure?

You'd have to ask him, I've no idea.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

You couldn't be more wrong. We're going from something equivalent to the Pennine League to Championship funding overnight. It's absolutely a game changer. We're an established successful club and every season players would have to pay to play, we'd train on patches of grass in parks and play in a park. We got zero funding.

Now we can pay for proper training facilities, play at a decent ground with changing room, fund some development, do marketing have more active recruitment and attract better players by actually being able to pay them.

I'm not sure what your definition of 'game changer' is and maybe you wouldn't be happy unless we waved a wand and created a NRL equivalent, but that simply is impossible. This is near on as good as it gets in terms of getting a sport off the ground in a new country.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

It's a significant amount of money for a semi pro club. League 1 clubs get between £60-70k. Obviously things very different in the US but I wouldnt call it a modest amount of money 

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I have absolutely no idea. I just know they are included.

What an completely pointless post. 

Wow, no need to be a dick. You're the one posting like you know sh*t.

It's a completely valid question for a supposedly cross-border league attempting to start up in a pandemic. The freaking NHL has had to realign so that they are self-contained on either side of the border, the Raptors have relocated to Tampa, the Arrows to Georgia. 

Especially with the level of funding being reported here - are they going to pay players enough to be to leave their homes for weeks at a a time? Are TO and Ottawa going to just play each other 10 times separately from the US teams?

Archived