Sat 17-Sun 18 Apr: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

On 16/04/2021 at 19:10, paulwalker71 said:

I can't find a single Bulls fan on our (RLFans) Forum who isn't expecting an absolute mullering from Halifax!

Even our usually chronically over-optimistic Facebook banter group seem to be expecting the worst and believe me, that is scarily unusual.

Surely Kear will have toughened them up over the last couple of weeks? He wasn't happy, so can't imagine training has been easy since. 

I think if it was at The Shay, I might have agreed too. But the tight pitch at Dewsbury will even things up.

Best of luck anyway! 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Based Widnes being final team due to weaker schedule but they got 1 point from  4 I had pencilled in for them. Swinton in three weeks looking most likely place to get a first win .

No guarantee of them winning at Swinton. They will be no pushovers.

10 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Think Widnes wouldn't beat anyone with the number of errors they made. Rams were workman-like.

5 drives and a kick works in some circumstances. May be boring but gets results. 

Widnes are really ####### me off. They somehow managed to let Tim Sheens leave over what was a stupid penny pinching move surrounding back room staff, binned off the academy, so obviously no long term ambition.  The only player the new coach has brought in was Adam Lawton who’s a liability. A class player on this day but extremely lazy and can’t offload like he used to do

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It isnt penny pinching from Widnes that closed the academy.  SL keeping the money plus Covid did that in. 

2019 Admin 2020 Covid.  Widnes like Bradford just need a normal season and go again. Unlike Bradford,  they still have great infrastructure and good people in charge. They'll come good again. 

And let's hope they do, as you say a lot of things already in place at Widnes for them to rise again.

20 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It isnt penny pinching from Widnes that closed the academy.  SL keeping the money plus Covid did that in. 

2019 Admin 2020 Covid.  Widnes like Bradford just need a normal season and go again. Unlike Bradford,  they still have great infrastructure and good people in charge. They'll come good again. 

The penny pinching comment was about a back room staff member who was let go against the wishes of the head coach, who subsequently left. Poor move by the club

Widnes could have ran their academy this season as their licence only ran out next season, but deemed it too expensive to keep on, probably giving up on SL membership for a while

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Why spend half a million, after a pandemic no less, when SL withheld your funding last time and will probably be giving you the boot next year? 

I want Widnes to have an academy but if the SL clubs that benefit wont support it then asking Widnes to find a full time academy at a part time club is absurd. 

I want Widnes to have some semblance of ambition, something that sets us apart from our rivals. Now we’re just another small PT club. 

12 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I am so angry at the BBC at not providing a "Radio" coverage of games this weekend, all I seem to get is Mike Sweeney talking about C@p Salford pop groups, avoiding himself who was also C@p

Pay £5 for our league and you watch it. 

HT 26 - 0 to Fev. 

Best first half of the season from a Fev point of view. Looking a lot more consistent and playing as a team. Making less mistakes. 

I guess the word in the changing room will be to go out and nil Swinton - that will give them real confidence. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

1 minute ago, Chris Taylor said:

HT 26 - 0 to Fev. 

Best first half of the season from a Fev point of view. Looking a lot more consistent and playing as a team. Making less mistakes. 

I guess the word in the changing room will be to go out and nil Swinton - that will give them real confidence. 

Excellent first half for us. No Chisolm, anybody know why?

45 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

More than likely. He did get subbed last week, but came back on. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he was rested and I could see Nu Brown being rested next week.

Would explain why Hardy didn't play and Minns did. 

Best we've played all season, even in that second half - there was less mistakes than previous weeks. Good result, good performance, season now really started for them.

Nice to see Davies back in the team - he's one of the best in the league. Especially in the defensive line.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

10 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he was rested and I could see Nu Brown being rested next week.

Would explain why Hardy didn't play and Minns did. 

Best we've played all season, even in that second half - there was less mistakes than previous weeks. Good result, good performance, season now really started for them.

Nice to see Davies back in the team - he's one of the best in the league. Especially in the defensive line.

That's a cracking win today, Swinton will upset a few this season.

Great win for Featherstone. All the damage done in the first half. Also takes them to the top of the table after Toulouse only managed to beat London by 24. Halifax v Bradford will be an interesting one to see where this league is shaping up.

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Great win for Featherstone. All the damage done in the first half. Also takes them to the top of the table after Toulouse only managed to beat London by 24. Halifax v Bradford will be an interesting one to see where this league is shaping up.

only the beeb think were top we'are  actually 4th under new criteria 

22 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Fev aren't top

Surprising result for Toulouse......

Archived