Jump to content

Another SL restructure is being planned


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Leigh are interesting as they sort of embody the P&R ‘dream’ but also the ‘nightmare’ reality. 

It seems to me Leigh could have a great future as the ‘best of the rest’. A highly successful second tier club with a winning team, instead of faintly embarrassing easybeats propping up Super League.

The key to the future is a run in SL, we are blessed with facilities, sponsors and owner. We have great talent to run academies on our doorstep but need a run to reach potential, which would be greater than at least half of SL

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

The key to the future is a run in SL, we are blessed with facilities, sponsors and owner. We have great talent to run academies on our doorstep but need a run to reach potential, which would be greater than at least half of SL

Don’t get me wrong, I think Leigh is a proud club with a cracking, atmospheric ground (great acoustics!). But everyone kind of knows Leigh will always be small time. That’s down to geography, I suppose. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Leigh are interesting as they sort of embody the P&R ‘dream’ but also the ‘nightmare’ reality. 

It seems to me Leigh could have a great future as the ‘best of the rest’. A highly successful second tier club with a winning team, instead of faintly embarrassing easybeats propping up Super League.

Conversely, Beaumont has shown he’s more than willing to stick his hand in his pocket and back up what he says, whether people agree with him or not. Given an extended period in Super League, where could they go?

Well, we’ve heard they want to restart their Academy, for a start. That’s a positive. We’ve seen that they can average 6k+ to watch a pretty poor side, if they reached the play-offs, could that hit 8k+ consistently? As I say, Beaumont has put his hand in his pocket, it’s not always come off but if he had the comfort blanket of guaranteed Super League rugby, I’m certain they’d be able to attract a higher calibre of player. 

Whereas now, they live between that hole between Super League and the rest of the Championship, as are Toulouse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Conversely, Beaumont has shown he’s more than willing to stick his hand in his pocket and back up what he says, whether people agree with him or not. Given an extended period in Super League, where could they go? 

11th? They’d do well to be a Wakefield or Salford. Picking up rejects with one of the least competitive Academies. I think that’s about the limit of Leigh, to be brutally honest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need to keep p and r between the 3 divisions. Nothing needs to change in that respect.  It's a simple formula where the bottom team is replaced by the winner of the league below. 

League 1 can be used to add any new teams to the pyramid with minimum criteria being used for this.

It's then up to SL, the RFL and the clubs themselves to promote, market, increase income, develop juniors and perform on the field. 

Chopping and changing the structure doesn't allow for any forward planning

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

11th? They’d do well to be a Wakefield or Salford. Picking up rejects with one of the least competitive Academies. I think that’s about the limit of Leigh, to be brutally honest. 

Again, with investment and Super League rugby over time, why couldn’t they be more? With the threat of relegation over the heads of Wakefield, Salford and Leigh and various other factors, are you going to proudly prioritise player development or Super League rugby and the funding that goes with it? Let’s not romanticise this, we know the true answer. 

We have a system that simply doesn’t work and suits so few. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Again, with investment and Super League rugby over time, why couldn’t they be more? With the threat of relegation over the heads of Wakefield, Salford and Leigh and various other factors, are you going to proudly prioritise player development or Super League rugby and the funding that goes with it? Let’s not romanticise this, we know the true answer. 

We have a system that simply doesn’t work and suits so few. 

Leigh’s potential is limited by being a small town in Wigan. That’s not being flippant, that’s the truth. 

This is the thing about Toulouse, London and to a lesser extent Newcastle and York. Their potential, with a local talent pool more or less to themselves, is so much larger than Leigh. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Leigh’s potential is limited by being a small town in Wigan. That’s not being flippant, that’s the truth. 

This is the thing about Toulouse, London and to a lesser extent Newcastle and York. Their potential, with a local talent pool more or less to themselves, is so much larger than Leigh. 

Leigh’s potential could well be a successfully run, established Super League club. 

York’s population is far less than the borough of Wigan, where there’s far more amateur clubs. London are on their backside and only have the academy as some form of positive at that club, let’s not talk fantasy land. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Leigh’s potential could well be a successfully run, established Super League club. 

York’s population is far less than the borough of Wigan, where there’s far more amateur clubs. London are on their backside and only have the academy as some form of positive at that club, let’s not talk fantasy land. 

The population of the Borough of Wigan is irrelevant when it comes to Leigh and their catchment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Leigh’s potential could well be a successfully run, established Super League club. 

York’s population is far less than the borough of Wigan, where there’s far more amateur clubs. London are on their backside and only have the academy as some form of positive at that club, let’s not talk fantasy land. 

It’s not fantasy to say Toulouse, London and to a lesser extent York and Newcastle have bigger potential than Leigh. It’s self-evident. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Man of Kent said:

It’s not fantasy to say Toulouse, London and to a lesser extent York and Newcastle have bigger potential than Leigh. It’s self-evident. 

Toronto had more potential than that lot put together 

Leigh offer reality at least

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Damien said:

Well it is, you are just trying to pretend otherwise. 

I’m not pretending at all. The borough of Wigan has a greater population than York. There are more Rugby League clubs in the borough of Wigan than York. You can argue that if you want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not pretending at all. The borough of Wigan has a greater population than York. There are more Rugby League clubs in the borough of Wigan than York. You can argue that if you want. 

You can't half be obtuse Oliver.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Ah, you’ve lost out again so resort to calling me someone else’s name. You’re predictable. 

You started the name calling Oliver. I'm not sure why you think the population of a Borough equates to the catchment of a town in that Borough. Its nonsense, you know its nonsense, people in Wigan and Leigh tell you its nonsense but its just your predicatable anything to pick a fight response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This in lies the problem with the game, Leigh are getting dismissed above for it's location. 

Yet have played a significant role in the history of the game and we should be embracing it's history, tradition and work in the community - not focussing on the negative. 

There's so many clubs of a similar status where we should be a lot more prouder of those around us. 

Clubs, such as - Warrington, Widnes, Castleford, Featherstone, Huddersfield, Salford, Oldham, Swinton, etc, etc

This game should play on it's strengths a lot more and sadly doesn't, whilst encouraging the likes of Newcastle, North Wales, etc to be a part of it. 

Clubs like Leigh are the lifeblood of the game.

  • Like 4

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

This in lies the problem with the game, Leigh are getting dismissed above for it's location. 

Yet have played a significant role in the history of the game and we should be embracing it's history, tradition and work in the community - not focussing on the negative. 

There's so many clubs of a similar status where we should be a lot more prouder of those around us. 

Clubs, such as - Warrington, Widnes, Castleford, Featherstone, Huddersfield, Salford, Oldham, Swinton, etc, etc

This game should play on it's strengths a lot more and sadly doesn't, whilst encouraging the likes of Newcastle, North Wales, etc to be a part of it. 

Clubs like Leigh are the lifeblood of the game.

Leigh might never be a massive club but have the potential to compete with most SL clubs.

They have 2 strong amateur clubs with East and Miners plus many other clubs surrounding them so they could run a decent academy. There's also a big population around Wigan and surrounding areas so think they could attract a a good average crowd, especially if they start to get some wins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/04/2021 at 20:54, The Daddy said:

According to 40-20 magazine and rumours that are going around.

Anyone heard anything specifically?

There has to be ground criteria.

Every club must have an academy

14 team Super League and play off at the end of the season with the club who finishes bottom of Super League and club who wins the championship to be played on a neutral ground

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Leigh might never be a massive club but have the potential to compete with most SL clubs.

They have 2 strong amateur clubs with East and Miners plus many other clubs surrounding them so they could run a decent academy. There's also a big population around Wigan and surrounding areas so think they could attract a a good average crowd, especially if they start to get some wins

I think in many ways Leigh are quite similar to Cas in that they are a club in a small town that get very good crowds as a percentage of population with also some very strong amateur clubs. 

They have also got some very decent crowds on the sporadic forays into Super League, far in excess of some long established Super League clubs. I can certainly understand some of their fans frustrations when they get criticism but by a number of measures offer more than some existing clubs.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/04/2021 at 04:17, Manfred Mann said:

Hull KR need not be binned by licensing. Why would they be?

Featherstone definitely needs to be binned. I have been to their ground on game day. They have a paltry fan base, and little prospect of good commercial sponsorship in their tiny, nationally unknown social backwater of west Yorkshire.

After Toulouse is highly successful, as they will be, Super League needs to have a future place for Avignon, and perhaps even Paris, Toronto and Ottawa. Featherstone in Super League would be a depressing drag on growth of the game

So let's stop supporting Fev because what's the point of it all if there's nothing at the end of the season ?

And calling us a backwater of West Yorkshire is an insult,how far do you think Castleford, Wakefield, Batley and Dewsbury are away from Featherstone? We have a very proud history and only have a population of 15000.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think in many ways Leigh are quite similar to Cas in that they are a club in a small town that get very good crowds as a percentage of population with also some very strong amateur clubs. 

They have also got some very decent crowds on the sporadic forays into Super League, far in excess of some long established Super League clubs. I can certainly understand some of their fans frustrations when they get criticism but by a number of measures offer more than some existing clubs.

I think SL does need the bigger clubs and places in there but there is also a place for clubs like Leigh and Castleford who both have a very strong base and core support. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...