George Williams - homesick?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the suggestion among the comments that they put him in a plane, fly him round for half a day, and then when he lands in Canberra tell him he’s in the north... I think he would go ok combined with Smith, though I had assumed we were going to see whether Field was up to scratch before working out what to do next year...

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Easy to write on an internet forum. Have you ever been at the other side of the world and been homesick? I can tell you it isn’t pleasant.

Hope it works out. I got that way when I was working over in Sydney, when our kids were little, and was only there for a couple of weeks...

Northerners really are a bunch of wusses. We've seen it for years at London Broncos; forced to pay way over the odds to get them to move only to then see them whinge and moan incessantly before returning to mummy a few months later.

Williams has the chance to play a leading role in the best rugby (either code) competition in the world, as part of a very short career, and he wants to turn his back on it? Ridiculous.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

Hope it works out. I got that way when I was working over in Sydney, when our kids were little, and was only there for a couple of weeks...

I lived in Sydney for 3 years (it was meant to be permanent) we Lived in a beautiful suburb close to Balmain, nice house, very good jobs etc, guess what I ended up pretty much depressed because I missed friends family and Yorkshire.

People seem to assume Australia is some sort of heaven on earth, but it really isn’t especially when you are isolated and not close to loved ones.

3 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Northerners really are a bunch of wusses. We've seen it for years at London Broncos; forced to pay way over the odds to get them to move only to then see them whinge and moan incessantly before returning to mummy a few months later.

Williams has the chance to play a leading role in the best rugby (either code) competition in the world, as part of a very short career, and he wants to turn his back on it? Ridiculous.

What’s ridiculous is you just dismissing how much homesickness can affect a person and their mental wellbeing.

8 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

He would also have been able to come back to England for 2 months during the off season under normal circumstances. He might have been told he can't do that this year either. Those things make a huge difference for players in both competitions. 

19 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Northerners really are a bunch of wusses. We've seen it for years at London Broncos; forced to pay way over the odds to get them to move only to then see them whinge and moan incessantly before returning to mummy a few months later

Can't blame anyone for wanting to get away from the cesspit we know as our capital. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Can't blame anyone for wanting to get away from the cesspit we know as our capital. 

When i visited England I went up north and to the capital.  If i had to choose a place to actually live i'd pick up north every single time. 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

This is also probably about family not being able to visit him in Australia too for the foreseeable future.

We might not be able to leave Australia freely until next year 

I don't think it is right that people are so judgemental about this. Homesickness is pretty terrible and it would be far worse at the moment because of Covid. I can imagine people on the other side of the world would be feeling pretty helpless and isolated at the moment.

We've seen many Aussies want to go home from Super League for the same reasons so I'm not sure why people think people from the North of England should be immune when in Australia.

43 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Well stop signing them then, and bring through your own players !

35 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He would also have been able to come back to England for 2 months during the off season under normal circumstances. He might have been told he can't do that this year either. Those things make a huge difference for players in both competitions. 

I've spent the past 18 months 11,000 miles from home. I flew back into London in January just in time to be at my mother-in-law's deathbed and attend her funeral. While I was in London I didn't get to see my own parents, who were shielding, until the day I was leaving. My wife had a few days mourning with her sisters. And I know there are people who've had it much much worse. 

I really don't intend this to sound like a competition, I hope it doesn't come across that way, but I honestly don't have a great deal of time for sportsmen complaining at this point.

10 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

Well stop signing them then, and bring through your own players !

!

SL and the championship clubs are full of players London have produced. It's a very cosy relationship - the Broncos / David Hughes find the youngsters, introduce them to the sport, develop them into fully-fledged RL players (often representative players), and then watch on as they get signed by northern clubs.

Archived