George Williams - homesick?

22 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

In my opinion.... only.mine you understand..... this country is an utter sheeite hole. I ought to have left 30 years ago when I had chance..... not that this has anything to do with this thread like......

All depends where you live - there are some amazing places in the UK, as good as anywhere in the world and I've travelled and lived in many countries.

If you live on, say a housing estate in a backwater town in the UK and you have never travelled, your view of the UK will be different to say someone who lives in Cornwall or Bath or in the lakes - buteach to their own.

One thing I did miss when I lived in Oz was the British humour, and the dry wit you tend to have even with strangers - big difference as the Aussies are a lot more like the Americans in that sense - the RL culture in Oz did help bridge the gap though.  Saying that the reason I left Australia was because I got a chance to work in Russia and they make the Aussies seem like Charlie Chaplin as far as humour goes.... Still had a great time though as its got a culture Australia hasn't- but then I missed the RL and Cricket so you can't have everything.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Every player was English (or English qualified) apart from 1.

It was an english team - so I referred to them as english.

Curling?? CGAF auld yin.

We will all remember that when you are sitting in your kilt, with your Mel Gibson photo on your mantlepiece cheering on Lachlan Coote in the World Cup....🤣🤣🤣

If he comes back now, I reckon he'll regret it for many years. His club could help by making in sure he has integration opportunities, and by getting him to meet long standing ex-pats . 

Former colleague moved to Dee Why in the 1970s. He's still there, retired. His wife became a Manly fan, despite being a UK southerner born and bred. Hs daughter was born, brought up and now owns her own business there. So many connections over many years.

From time to time I watch the various tv progs where families are looking to relocate to Australia.  So many times, parents and grandparents whine and blub that they don't want them to go, tugging at the heartstrings.  

My view is that if my kids and grandkids wanted to go, then Id support them every step of the way. I'm going to die sometime in the next 5 to 20 years and I believe I have no right to hold my kids back. They have their whole lives ahead of them and so it's their future I'm thinking of. Indeed, granddaughter #1 is in the process of getting a visa for the US to get married to her fiance. I have to face the fact we may never see her again face to face. Its her future that counts.  

Stick with it, George.

50 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

We will all remember that when you are sitting in your kilt, with your Mel Gibson photo on your mantlepiece cheering on Lachlan Coote in the World Cup....🤣🤣🤣

Aye very good...  1 guy - and he'll be English qualified by the time the tournament comes around, so could probably switch if he wants. 

Gies peace. 

Canberra is several hours drive from Sydney and Melbourne. It's pretty remote and actually quite cold in winter. It's not for everyone.

As Shaun McRae once said 'It's not about where you are it's about who you are with'.

I lived in Australia for 6 years and thoroughly enjoyed it but I wouldn't go back other than for a holiday.

6 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I find homesickness staggeringly impossible. Especially as he lives in the greatest country on Earth. I'd swap him in a heartbeat and go back to Perth, or Cairns, or Brisbane, or Melbourne, or South Australia, or.... 

He isn’t in any of those places.

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

bateman has thrown it away - he could have been a huge star on a giant stage and created a legacy 

He didn’t throw anything away,he came back so he could spend time with his young daughter,somethings are more important than playing sport.

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

People need to wake up.  It might be is girlfriend is homesick.

Australia will not even let Aussie cricketers back into the country.  The way things are going they might it let people back into there after the world cup.   So like others, George's future mother in law must be unhappy.  

Let's not forget French and Hastings were allowed to stay as long as possible before coming back.

Given that Williams dad Peter is in Perth I’d say it’s more his pregnant girlfriend struggling with the isolation 

5 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

It is easy for me to say because the reality is this country is an absolute cesspit and I settled in Australia very quickly. If it was up to me I'd still be there 🤣

I agree, this country isn’t a patch on Australia or NZ lifestyle wise. I spent about 5 years in Australia and a couple in NZ and could happily have stayed long term but family issues brought me home. It’s easy to judge others but you don’t know what’s happening behind closed doors.

I think it’s fair to say that if he and his partner feel that they want their kid born in the UK, then that should be what they should do. At that point, George has 2 other people to think about. Given that he can still play his chosen profession and get well paid for it over here, it makes perfect sense. 

54 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Given that Williams dad Peter is in Perth I’d say it’s more his pregnant girlfriend struggling with the isolation 

I'd say this was most likely the case. 

She's becoming a new mum in a country she hardly knows, half a world away from family and friends, with travel difficult, while her bloke is off doing his thing - which includes travelling interstate a very fortnight. 

Credit to George that he's putting her first, if that's the case. 

33 minutes ago, John C H said:

I agree, this country isn’t a patch on Australia or NZ lifestyle wise. I spent about 5 years in Australia and a couple in NZ and could happily have stayed long term but family issues brought me home. It’s easy to judge others but you don’t know what’s happening behind closed doors.

I've not judged anyone; I've said I find it staggering that anyone could be homesick when you live there. I simply can't empathise. I don't understand. 

9 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I've not judged anyone; I've said I find it staggering that anyone could be homesick when you live there. I simply can't empathise. I don't understand. 

So I take it you didn't live out west of Sydney, the large Chinese areas of Melbourne or the back end towns all over Oz when you lived there.... if its so great why did you leave?

I loved living in Oz but the lack of culture and humour got a bit tireing so I decided to have a change and move - I would go back for a few years but it really isn't the holy grail you make it out to be - especially a no mark city like Canberra. 

24 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

So I take it you didn't live out west of Sydney, the large Chinese areas of Melbourne or the back end towns all over Oz when you lived there.... if its so great why did you leave?

I loved living in Oz but the lack of culture and humour got a bit tireing so I decided to have a change and move - I would go back for a few years but it really isn't the holy grail you make it out to be - especially a no mark city like Canberra. 

My visa ran out.

I lived predominantly in Yulara, 350km away from the nearest town. 

I stayed in western Sydney, Melbourne CBD, Brisbane, Northbridge in Perth, St Kilda, Darwin etc., etc. I lived and breathed the best and worst of that country, never had a single issue and loved every second of it. 

The very rawness of some of the people and places really made it for me. I would even go as far to say that leaving Australia had a negative affect on my mood. That is how much I loved the gaff. 

12 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

My visa ran out.

I lived predominantly in Yulara, 350km away from the nearest town. 

I stayed in western Sydney, Melbourne CBD, Brisbane, Northbridge in Perth, St Kilda, Darwin etc., etc. I lived and breathed the best and worst of that country, never had a single issue and loved every second of it. 

The very rawness of some of the people and places really made it for me. I would even go as far to say that leaving Australia had a negative affect on my mood. That is how much I loved the gaff. 

Why not go back, I left and went back a few times?

5 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

big difference as the Aussies are a lot more like the Americans in that sense

No way. That’s a really unusual view. I’ve lived in the US and have married an English woman and have spent a bit of time in England. Australians are like cousins to the English, Americans are a very distant relative.

For many Australians, one way for us to realise how similar we are to the Brits is if we’re in a room with a Brit and then an American then joins in.

57 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

especially a no mark city like Canberra. 

Ouch! 🤣

Canberra is an awesome place to live.

Many live theatre options. A thriving poetry scene. The major opera companies come here. National folk festival,  National Gallery, National library, kayaking, mountain biking, wonderful restaurants, large university student population, highest average income, highest education levels etc etc. 

Every weekend I’m drowning in options. So many I’m usually up at 4:30am to make the most of the day.

My favourite is the wilderness area on the side of Canberra that links to other National Parks that has a cumulative area roughly similar to the size of Wales. Almost pure untouched wilderness across the whole area. It’s brilliant if you love the outdoors.

Last weekend I was walking in a remote location and a pack of howling dingoes not far away scared the bejesus out of me.. all good though. 🤣

i remember when scott taylor sited home sickness as his reason for leaving wigan for hull, just saying.😆

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Archived