Folau joins Southport Tigers

2 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Just be honest, you've got your knickers in a twist that Eddie is one of the people you wish to patronise by speaking for, on their behalf, when he's clearly stated he's not bothered by Folau's comments and is able to make an objective opinion regardless

Being honest. No.

I only state my opinions on here. I don't presume other people's.

Not only are others entitled to their own opinions, I would absolutely support their right to state them whether I agree with them or not.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Being honest. No.

I only state my opinions on here. I don't presume other people's.

Not only are others entitled to their own opinions, I would absolutely support their right to state them whether I agree with them or not.

Not sure where the relevance is to any of the previous discussions we were having. You seem to be implying that I'm against others expressing their opinion. 

I earlier expressed a prescient opinion (you know, one of the things you believe in), that given the previous threads ref Folau on here, isn't anything new given the polarised thoughts. But you've seem to have taken umbrage with it, I can take a guess as to why.

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Sounds like a club in the North West Men’s League Division Three. He’d probably look more at home against Widnes Tigers and Haresfinch A in all honesty. 

It has a billionaire owner though.   Mind you so did the wolfpack.

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Idiot who can’t keep his mouth shut and at 32 isn’t worth the risk.

This whole thing is making me very nervous. Folau is also backed by the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) who were the ones who did the survey that showed 70% of people wanted Folau back playing, it is this survey that Palmer is referencing when he says why he is going into bat for Folau. Palmer is the worst type of rank political opportunist, he unsuccessfully tried to get elected into Parliament running a Trump agenda.

From what I`ve read Palmer is threatening legal action if the QRL then the NRL won`t register Folau under some sort of restraint of trade or discrimination accusation, arguing that they should not be able to block his employment because of his beliefs.

What bothers me is that everybody knows exactly what Folau stands for, his post has never actually been deleted, and everytime he runs onto the field he will be a very bad look for the NRL. If Palmer is really ready to spend money on this, and it`s not for Folau, it`s because he is courting the christian vote, it could become very drawn out, expensive and a black-eye for the game.

I`m not  religious person, and I`d love to see him playing, but I just fear that this could get very ugly because everyone knows that he is a figurehead for a very ugly narrow type of bigotry that we just don`t need running around in the game.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Wrong, as ever.

So which Championship teams do you think could beat them then? (Given I said they could beat "most" English Championship teams).

I'd love to know. Especially given they have guys like John Folau (Tongan international), and one or two other experienced NRL players coming in as well. Guys who would basically tear apart teams in England's second division. 

But I'm sure you know better.... So let's hear the list! 

😄

38 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Just be honest, you've got your knickers in a twist that Eddie is one of the people you wish to patronise by speaking for, on their behalf, when he's clearly stated he's not bothered by Folau's comments and is able to make an objective opinion regardless

Eddie speaks for that whole segment of society does he?

11 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

This whole thing is making me very nervous. Folau is also backed by the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) who were the ones who did the survey that showed 70% of people wanted Folau back playing, it is this survey that Palmer is referencing when he says why he is going into bat for Folau. Palmer is the worst type of rank political opportunist, he unsuccessfully tried to get elected into Parliament running a Trump agenda.

From what I`ve read Palmer is threatening legal action if the QRL then the NRL won`t register Folau under some sort of restraint of trade or discrimination accusation, arguing that they should not be able to block his employment because of his beliefs.

What bothers me is that everybody knows exactly what Folau stands for, his post has never actually been deleted, and everytime he runs onto the field he will be a very bad look for the NRL. If Palmer is really ready to spend money on this, and it`s not for Folau, it`s because he is courting the christian vote, it could become very drawn out, expensive and a black-eye for the game.

I`m not  religious person, and I`d love to see him playing, but I just fear that this could get very ugly because everyone knows that he is a figurehead for a very ugly narrow type of bigotry that we just don`t need running around in the game.

The best way to shout down Israel folau and his abhorrent views is with more free speech. To deny him employment would just make him a martyr.

54 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Indeed, I’ll carry on drinking and fornicating without worrying what Folau thinks will happen to me when I die, and I still want to see him play Rugby League. 

14 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Eddie speaks for that whole segment of society does he?

Is that a rhetorical question to yourself, as I never said, nor intimated that Eddie spoke for anyone other than himself?

The fact that he has to qualify his statement, whilst daring to divert from the prevailing narrative, is a sad indictment of current debate

1 minute ago, Hughsehhh said:

Is that a rhetorical question to yourself, as I never said, nor intimated that Eddie spoke for anyone other than himself?

The fact that he has to qualify his statement, whilst daring to divert from the prevailing narrative, is a sad indictment of current debate

Eddie has an opinion just like Dunbar has his and you have yours.

Praise the lord for free speech.

46 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Not sure where the relevance is to any of the previous discussions we were having. You seem to be implying that I'm against others expressing their opinion. 

I earlier expressed a prescient opinion (you know, one of the things you believe in), that given the previous threads ref Folau on here, isn't anything new given the polarised thoughts. But you've seem to have taken umbrage with it, I can take a guess as to why.

You didn't express an opinion, you were just preemptively devaluing the opinion of others by implying they were disingenuous or contrived.

Good try though. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

OK. But they aren't even in the Championship!

QLD cup is levels above the Championship.

PNG had a core of guys scattered about the QLD cup and they thrashed "Great Britain" ffs.

Wrong, as ever.

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You didn't express an opinion, you were just preemptively devaluing the opinion of others by implying they were disingenuous or contrived.

Good try though. 

A pretty successful try at that, too, I would say. The very next post came up with a clichéd expression of moral judgement / faux outrage.

But I'm glad we've got you on these boards to determine the moral high ground, I'm now suitably reassured

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Aye, but you said Championship is equivalent to QLD cup - I was simply pointing out that is nonsense, and there are SuperLeague teams who wouldn't win the QLD cup.

Toulouse are thrashing everyone in the Championship by 60 or 70 points. It is miles below the level of SuperLeague. 

Based on what ?

There are 13 Qld Cup teams who don’t win it,every year.

51 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You do not believe in religion,  so you do not believe in hell.  So all Folau did was send people to a fictitious place.   He did not threaten anybody with anything real, no physical threa.  Like GBH for instance.   

18 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

A pretty successful try at that, too, I would say. The very next post came up with a clichéd expression of moral judgement / faux outrage.

But I'm glad we've got you on these boards to determine the moral high ground, I'm now suitably reassured

Are you really describing the comment "Idiot who can’t keep his mouth shut and at 32 isn’t worth the risk." as moral judgement / faux outrage?

I am so sick of this discussion. The bloke has been ostracised from his profession for an idealogy whilst others in the same industry continue after convictions of physical violence.

If a club wants to pick him, then let them do so and should they be required to, “defend” their decision as is their right.

Should it be my decision and my club, I wouldn’t go anywhere near him.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Most or just one Union loving Scottish expat 

You like to give it out, but you certainly can't take it!

I couldn't care less about rugby union.

I can see your snidey attempts at point-scoring, given that you have lost the argument (again) but you don't know me, and you have no idea of my sporting interests, and how much SuperLeague I follow (it's more than you btw!). It is up there with your 'melrose sevens' comment the other week:

Snidey, weasely, and quite pompous. (I'm sure there's a national stereotype in there somewhere!) 👍🏾

11 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

You do not believe in religion,  so you do not believe in hell.  So all Folau did was send people to a fictitious place.   He did not threaten anybody with anything real, no physical threa.  Like GBH for instance.   

Yes but this isn`t just any fictitious place though is it, even if he said gays, alcoholics, thieves, etc. etc.  had to sit in the naughty corner, this would still be a form of incitement or discrimination wouldn`t it, but it`s not the naughty corner, it is place where he believes they will be tortured for eternity, not exactly the same as saying I disagree with your lifestyle. And what`s more as a role model or certainly a public figure, he is inciting others to hate as well.

If he wants to spout that stuff as a private individual that `s his business, but I don`t want him or his proxies using League to gain some sort of credibility by associating themselves with our game as some sort of acceptance.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

If this thing does reach the courts, there is a big chance Folau wins, if his fallout with ARU is any sort of precedent.

Clive certainly has deep pockets too, so if he is deterrmined to go all the way with this, then this could well be the beginning of a very long saga.

4 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yes but this isn`t just any fictitious place though is it, even if he said gays, alcoholics, thieves, etc. etc.  had to sit in the naughty corner, this would still be a form of incitement or discrimination wouldn`t it, but it`s not the naughty corner, it is place where he believes they will be tortured for eternity, not exactly the same as saying I disagree with your lifestyle. And what`s more as a role model or certainly a public figure, he is inciting others to hate as well.

If he wants to spout that stuff as a private individual that `s his business, but I don`t want him or his proxies using League to gain some sort of credibility by associating themselves with our game as some sort of acceptance.

At no point has IF ever once said he hates gays, alcoholics, thieves etc

Archived