Reece Walsh

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

With RTS looking at a RU retirement, time to blood his replacement at FB. A gutsy selection, but looking good so far. Walsh was involved in almost all the Warriors' tries.

The kid’s got the lot. Dangerous broken field runner with an amazing passing game.

Also as good as RTS is he’s got his work cut out in trying to nail down the Allblacks fullback position with world class players like jordie Barrett, Damian Mckenzie and will Jordan already battling for that jersey l

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I'm no fan of Walters as a coach but how much influence did he have in the decisions to let Reece, Walker and Fifita go?

In decisions about player recruitment and retention the views of the coach are vital.

This is a club which has struggled to find halves and which is also seeking a quality full back. They are now paying almost AU$800k per year for three years to recruit a man who will be 32 next year, on a three year contract. Sam Walker and Reece Walsh could have been retained for half that amount each. The Roosters Chairman Nick Politis and coach Trent Robinson were smart enough to recognize that, and have reaped the rewards with Sam Walker. The NZ Warriors have done the same with Reece Walsh..

Brisbane has now also lost star winger Xavier Coates to Melbourne. Note that a key factor in the 20 year old’s personal decision was who would be coaching Melbourne next year. He already knew who would be coaching Brisbane next year.

4 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

In decisions about player recruitment and retention the views of the coach are vital.

This is a club which has struggled to find halves and which is also seeking a quality full back. They are now paying almost AU$800k per year for three years to recruit a man who will be 32 next year, on a three year contract. Sam Walker and Reece Walsh could have been retained for half that amount each. The Roosters Chairman Nick Politis and coach Trent Robinson were smart enough to recognize that, and have reaped the rewards with Sam Walker. The NZ Warriors have done the same with Reece Walsh..

Brisbane has now also lost star winger Xavier Coates to Melbourne. Note that a key factor in the 20 year old’s personal decision was who would be coaching Melbourne next year. He already knew who would be coaching Brisbane next year.

Didn't Fifita and Walker leave the club before Walters was even named as the Brisbane coach though?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Didn't Fifita and Walker leave the club before Walters was even named as the Brisbane coach though?

You may be right about Walker. 

However I think I recall Walters expressing his dismay at the loss of Fifita.

The basic fact is that no player respects Walters as a coach.

Moreover, Walters’ failings are covered up by the commentators at Fox League because they  are all mates with him. They all speak of him as “Kevvie.”

2 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

You may be right about Walker. 

However I think I recall Walters expressing his dismay at the loss of Fifita.

The basic fact is that no player respects Walters as a coach.

Moreover, Walters’ failings are covered up by the commentators at Fox League because they  are all mates with him.

I agree with everything you say, Walters is a poor coach.

But Fifita was announced as a Titans signing in July 2020 and Walters the new Brisbane coach at the end of September.

I just prefer not to blame people for things they are not responsible for.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

To call Walters a poor coach would be to massively overstate his abilities.

He owes his job to the months of intense media lobbying from his Origin buddies who pushed for his predecessor to be sacked and replaced by their ‘top bloke’ mate.

Any promising youngsters who want to fulfill their potential should follow Coates and Walker to the real coaching talents of the current NRL.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with everything you say, Walters is a poor coach.

But Fifita was announced as a Titans signing in July 2020 and Walters the new Brisbane coach at the end of September.

I just prefer not to blame people for things they are not responsible for.

Exactly,the Broncos problems go back well before Walters arrival,the front office have been abysmal in managing the salary cap which is resulting in them haemorrhaging talent.

You get the feeling Walters was brought in short term and will be a scapegoat for others failings.

6 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

It's only unfathomable if you are unaware that Kevin Walters is the coach of Brisbane. This is the coach who had a 37% win rate at Catalans in 2009-2010. His replacement Trent Robinson had a 59% win rate.

Eventually the management of Brisbane Broncos will become aware of these facts, and start to reconsider the value of a Wayne Bennett personal recommendation. But by that time it will be too late to avoid a club record of bottom four place three years in a row.

Meanwhile "the ones that got away" -- David Fifita, Sam Walker and Reece Walsh -- will have established themselves as three of the top five rugby league players in the world.

If you think all of those departures are Walters' fault you might need to do a bit more research. Two of them have literally nothing to do with him, and I don't think there's much he could have done to turn the Walsh situation around either. Thankfully Brisbane has a new CEO in place who I expect to make some desperately needed changes in club management.

4 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

The kid’s got the lot. Dangerous broken field runner with an amazing passing game.

Also as good as RTS is he’s got his work cut out in trying to nail down the Allblacks fullback position with world class players like jordie Barrett, Duncan Mckenzie and will Jordan already battling for that jersey l

Union seems to be struggling in terms of super rugby and I guess RTS is nearly 29 so his best years are maybe behind him. 

I feel that walsh is a better option 

Walsh is an incredibly exciting talent and someone the Warriors can build a team around. In many ways it is a shame that this is the only year he and RTS will play together because they both offer so much excitement in attack.  Gould has definitely earned his consulting fee with that recruitment alone.

Now in terms of who at the Broncos is to blame for the loss of Walker, Walsh, Fifita and Coates, Seibold is definitely to blame for Walker & Fifita... If there is any truth to the claims that Seibold tried to get Walker to sign a contract without his parents, he honestly should be banned from the game (Walker was a minor at the time) and it's no surprise he went elsewhere.

Walters had time to influence Walsh and convince him to stay, although I'm sure Seibold's actions last year didn't help the cause. Considering the main driver for Walsh was time on the field, I'm amazed that Brisbane weren't prepared to entertain this whilst they are 'rebuilding'.

Coates was always going to be a hard keep for Brisbane once the Storm showed interest. 

It will be interesting to see if Dearden lives up to the hype around him. If he becomes a superstar for the Cowboys, that mistake will be on Walter.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

5 hours ago, The storm said:

Union seems to be struggling in terms of super rugby and I guess RTS is nearly 29 so his best years are maybe behind him. 

I feel that walsh is a better option 

I wouldn’t say that super rugby Aotearoa is struggling at present but I can definitely see the competition declining a little due to its limitations.

As for Walsh being the better option compared to RTS I agree 100% but only if they can keep hold of him and get a good few years out of him.

12 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Also as good as RTS is he’s got his work cut out in trying to nail down the Allblacks fullback position with world class players like jordie Barrett, Duncan Mckenzie and will Jordan already battling for that jersey l

Are they better than him at kicking the ball into the stands then? 

just watched the warriors v tigers game - in over 40yrs of watching the game i dont think i have ever heard 2 commentators go so far "over the top" about one player- i thought ennis was going to start sending him love letters and set himself up as president of his fan club at one point - talented youngster with lots of skills but still a lot to prove and a lot to learn - nothing more nothing less- they know the rts days are numbered and need to find a replacement before he goes.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

just watched the warriors v tigers game - in over 40yrs of watching the game i dont think i have ever heard 2 commentators go so far "over the top" about one player- i thought ennis was going to start sending him love letters and set himself up as president of his fan club at one point - talented youngster with lots of skills but still a lot to prove and a lot to learn - nothing more nothing less- they know the rts days are numbered and need to find a replacement before he goes.

Reece Walsh is a very talented player. Had he not been playing then the NZ Warriors would not have won the game. No wonder the Fox League commentators, especially the highly respected Michael Ennis, were so enthralled by this 18 year old blue eyed boy’s fearless and innovative acts of courage.

I agree based on the last month Walsh looks like a generational talent

Think it’s clear that the full back role is the position that can be the most impactful on the game with the right person in it, esp after NRLs rule/interpretation changes.

Reckon Tom Trbojevic is the biggest single game-changing player on the planet at the moment, from FB; in another era he’d be a 6 outside DCE’s game-managing 1st receiver, but in the Manly side it’s clear that instead Foran is almost “outside centre number 1” and Tom T is the real impact pivot. Almost Union-esque with in-effect an inside and then 2 outside three-quarters.

Positional functionality has evolved in phases across our 125 years, with some rapid step-changes (e.g change in hooker’s role in early 90’s, change in loose forward role in early 00’s), and now really feels like another big adjustment moment to me. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I think Walters is a complete duffer, but I think he was right to dump Dearden. Dearden had looked as useless as everyone else this season, and there was no point continuing with him if he wasn't going to stay next year. 

Its interesting that somebody who never seems to get much stick about the Broncos' plight is Darren Lockyer.  He's the big name ex-player on the Board and has been there right through the disintegration of the side and hopeless mismanagement of the cap.

Those who watched today's game between the NZ Warriors and North Queensland Cowboys will now know that all the accolades poured upon 18 year old Reece Walsh are absolutely justified. The kid is a freak. There is no question that he is already a star and maybe already a superstar.

The try Reece Walsh scored, with a 90 metre run down the sideline, and then being caught 10 metres out from the line by a chasing tackler before bouncing himself out of the tackle to touch down, was unbelievable. He also set up another two tries -- one of those with an overhead cutout pass for the Chilean-Fijian winger Marcelo Montoya. Reece made several ground making runs. And he was always throwing himself into the action in attack and defence, despite his small stature, without any fear of injury.

In 2022 he may well be playing State of Origin for Queensland.

Let's cut out the petty denigrations of him from people who have not watched him play every game. The only young player in the world today to be comparable with him is not any English kid, but the Roosters half back Sam Walker, Reece Walsh's former Australian Schoolboys team mate. I am sure that in 2022 Reece Walsh and Sam Walker will be competing with the very top group of senior NRL players for the Dally M Player of the Year award.

17 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Those who watched today's game between the NZ Warriors and North Queensland Cowboys will now know that all the accolades poured upon 18 year old Reece Walsh are absolutely justified. The kid is a freak. There is no question that he is already a star and maybe already a superstar.

The try Reece Walsh scored, with a 90 metre run down the sideline, and then being caught 10 metres out from the line by a chasing tackler before bouncing himself out of the tackle to touch down, was unbelievable. He also set up another two tries -- one of those with an overhead cutout pass for the Chilean-Fijian winger Marcelo Montoya. Reece made several ground making runs. And he was always throwing himself into the action in attack and defence, despite his small stature, without any fear of injury.

In 2022 he may well be playing State of Origin for Queensland.

Let's cut out the petty denigrations of him from people who have not watched him play every game. The only young player in the world today to be comparable with him is not any English kid, but the Roosters half back Sam Walker, Reece Walsh's former Australian Schoolboys team mate. I am sure that in 2022 Reece Walsh and Sam Walker will be competing with the very top group of senior NRL players for the Dally M Player of the Year award.

Hard to believe he’s still only 18 and played a handful of NRL games. This kid could be anything and incredible to believe will only get better with more experience and gametime under his belt.

Interestingly enough that the Thursday night game between the broncos and thunder nearly saw the debut of yet another potentially outstanding teenage talented #1 in selwyn cobbo who has drawn similar liking to lattrell Mitchell both physically and talent wise.

Archived