Jump to content

Ball steal rule to be axed at the end of this season.


Recommended Posts

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

                                    "It started out in innocence, the way that most things do,
                                     a thousand people crammed in one place, but the only face was you"

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please get rid of golden point while we're at it.

Thank f*** for that. https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/former-referee-blasts-decision-to-introduce-ball-steal-rule-after-it-gets-shelved-for-2022-40096/

The NRL changed the ball-stealing law before the start of the 2018 season.  The fact that something can work perfectly well for 3 and a half years in the NRL, yet cause widespread consternation w

they should get rid of the one foot over the line nonsense as well it just spoils a good kick.

  • Like 1

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time

Link to post
Share on other sites

the rule is flawed but if we go back to the old rules before super league ball stealing did not have any maximum number of tacklers. personally i would go back to that and then maybe players would be taught how to keep hold of the ball

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Not quite worked how they’d thought. Before they implement these ideas, do they ever trial them at any level? If not, why?

quite often they try them in preseason games but of course not that easy this year

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Not quite worked how they’d thought. Before they implement these ideas, do they ever trial them at any level? If not, why?

You do know who we're talking about here. This bunch of incompetents are doing their best to sink Rugby League due mainly to not having a brain cell between them. As Eric Hammond once said "Lions led by donkeys.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Faithful1865 said:

You do know who we're talking about here. This bunch of incompetents are doing their best to sink Rugby League due mainly to not having a brain cell between them.

The people involved from across the game, from coaches to players to media, who sit on the laws committee, are trying to kill the game? Really? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Is it actually being scrapped? Not going to click on RLClickbait.com

The article is predictably pathetic and doesn't cite anything other than some Ian Smith tweets so yes there is nothing official in there.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well informed rumour, I’d say. I’m not hugely against this ball steal rule but it’s quite an ugly, spoiling tactic when deployed.

I’d be interested to know if it’s reduced the number of offloads by forwards. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is that really a long enough sample size, though? 

well it has to be tried sometime and i don't see any way to experiment in real comps although perhaps the 1895 cup may have been an idea if it had run last season . i seem to remember the bbc 2 comp been used to try out some changes back in the 70s

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

well it has to be tried sometime and i don't see any way to experiment in real comps although perhaps the 1895 cup may have been an idea if it had run last season . i seem to remember the bbc 2 comp been used to try out some changes back in the 70s

I think there’s more than enough tournaments and competitions throughout the sport, at amateur, semi-pro and professional level that could be used to try new ideas over, say, a year to determine whether a rule change actually benefits anyone at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think there’s more than enough tournaments and competitions throughout the sport, at amateur, semi-pro and professional level that could be used to try new ideas over, say, a year to determine whether a rule change actually benefits anyone at all. 

to be of any use in looking at new rules to be applied in the upper leagues it really should be done at a good professional standard  so that really only leaves super league, the championship, challenge cup and perhaps the 1895 cup.

gone are the days of county cups john player ect trophies the the bbc 2 trophy. indeed even the old reserve league is not around .

I do know a few years ago some rules were tried out in preseason boxing day and new year games one of which was introducing the old loose forward does not need to pack down rule. this of course proved a flop as nobody knew what they were doing so only the defending team bothered to use it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

to be of any use in looking at new rules to be applied in the upper leagues it really should be done at a good professional standard  so that really only leaves super league, the championship, challenge cup and perhaps the 1895 cup.

gone are the days of county cups john player ect trophies the the bbc 2 trophy. indeed even the old reserve league is not around .

I do know a few years ago some rules were tried out in preseason boxing day and new year games one of which was introducing the old loose forward does not need to pack down rule. this of course proved a flop as nobody knew what they were doing so only the defending team bothered to use it.

I think things can certainly be trialled in amateur games, with the end goal of trialling it further up the “food chain” later down the line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody good, such a rubbish rule. Hopefully the stupid having your foot in touch to catch the ball means it's out rule goes with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think things can certainly be trialled in amateur games, with the end goal of trialling it further up the “food chain” later down the line. 

apart from been fairly certain the community clubs would be up in arms about been used like that it would certainly be very time consuming putting off any rule changes by a couple of years and of course to bring it in they would need the quality refs to be there administering it  and of course multiple cameras to record it.

for me about the only comp suitable would be the 1895 cup as the others have to much prestige to mess them about with experiments in some games. of course if there was a functioning reserve league that could be useful although i feel sorry for any reserves called up to the first team who has got used to a rule been used in one comp and not another.

as I said to start with I would go back to the old rule that worked for a hell of a lot of years were stealing was allowed when any number of players was involved and it was the duty of the ball carrier to hold onto the ball. it was clear and easy to understand and worked well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M j M said:

The article is predictably pathetic and doesn't cite anything other than some Ian Smith tweets so yes there is nothing official in there.

I assumed right for once. I clicked on an article there once, the writing was dreadful, sadly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

 The players showed last year that they were able to adapt admirably to many changes mid season. Why not scrap it now? Sure they would cope.

Yes.  Was this a law introduced into the NRL?  Is it an international rule?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...