Jump to content

Roughyeds part company with Matt Diskin


Dave Naylor
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, tandle said:

john duffy as no club at the moment does he have a job outsiide of rugby.

if he as no employment as such ch should offer him 11 weeks employment for a descent wage. its all about this season b--ls to next season.

  

It depends if his contract was paid up in full when he left Leigh or whether they are still paying him monthly, which is common with sacked coaches nowadays. Taking on another paid role could void that severance agreement.

And let's be fair, how much would CH offer him compared with what he has been/is on at present?

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


we need a coach urgently for 10 games that are left not for 2022.

so what would a reasonable wage be for a coach for 10 games.

so ch must insist that it is 10 games only and if he saves us further talks could take place. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our previous coach, Mike Ford, is now leaving Leicester Tigers and being replaced with Kevin Sinfield.  

Does anyone think 'Fordy' might be interested in the gaff again i.e. take pity on us, even if it's only until the end of the season ? ?   Or would he be too 'expensive' ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ArthurO said:

Our previous coach, Mike Ford, is now leaving Leicester Tigers and being replaced with Kevin Sinfield.  

Does anyone think 'Fordy' might be interested in the gaff again i.e. take pity on us, even if it's only until the end of the season ? ?   Or would he be too 'expensive' ?

 

He got us to one game from superleague. I thought he was supposed to be doing something in the USA!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

He got us to one game from superleague. I thought he was supposed to be doing something in the USA!?

One game from superleague ? Don't remind me.  Sadly, it was yet another one of many 'I was there' memories. And if I remember correctly, Widnes beat us at Spotland and then declared bankruptcy the very next day ! 

OK ! As for 'Fordy', I didn't realise that he was off to USA. It didn't mention that on the Leicester Tiger's (BBC) news site. It just says that he's 'leaving'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ArthurO said:

One game from superleague ? Don't remind me.  Sadly, it was yet another one of many 'I was there' memories. And if I remember correctly, Widnes beat us at Spotland and then declared bankruptcy the very next day ! 

OK ! As for 'Fordy', I didn't realise that he was off to USA. It didn't mention that on the Leicester Tiger's (BBC) news site. It just says that he's 'leaving'.

Yeah Dallas Griffins. Due to covid the new venture was postponed so he took the Leicester job on a temporary basis. Now has he got a. Spare 10 weeks to help his home town club?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion we need an appointment that excites people/fans/customers.

Does Fordy fit the bill, yes will he do it, I doubt it.

John Fieldhouse excellent coach, was coaching Woolston recently I think, he could do a job especially with our forwards

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Read the article on Fieldhouse on the news feed on here. He was gutted at not being given the chance to coach his promoted team in division 1. It reads like unfinished business. 
 

also anyone listen to his insight and knowledge when he was commenting on Our League games?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John coached great britain barla. I think he's got the presence he's been there and done that.

I also believe he would give a bollocking if necessary 

 

Definitely unfurnished business 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, clifford said:

John coached great britain barla. I think he's got the presence he's been there and done that.

I also believe he would give a bollocking if necessary 

 

Definitely unfurnished business 

Sometimes a good old fashioned bollocking works wonders. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone losing their job is always sad so I wish Disco all the best.  Going forward I would like to see a "recognised" coach in place if available and I would not be against a good player coach, especially one who would fit nicely into a halfback role.

Whoever comes in needs to be able to lift the players straight away, build their confidence and get their mindset right. I still believe that most of the players we have are good enough apart from 2 or 3 of the key positions.

We also need the coach in place as quickly as possible to give them time to put their stamp on it.

I think we all know how important this next appoinment is so I hope CH can find the money for the right one.

 

  • Like 1

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tony Mac said:

We also need the coach in place as quickly as possible to give them time to put their stamp on it.

I think we all know how important this next appoinment is so I hope CH can find the money for the right one.

If Whitehaven beat Swinton at home on Sunday — and my money would be on that to happen — there will be 5 points and whatever associated percentage separating them from us.  We'll then have to win three more games than Whitehaven out of the remaining 10.  A tough task for whoever the new guy turns out to be.

We need to surprise one of Bradford or London at home, pull off wins against relegation rivals Whitehaven and Swinton and probably get a result against Sheffield away too.

Four points from the next five games is an absolute minimum.  Anything less and the season will just dissolve into nothing. 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Naylor said:

If Whitehaven beat Swinton at home on Sunday — and my money would be on that to happen — there will be 5 points and whatever associated percentage separating them from us.  We'll then have to win three more games than Whitehaven out of the remaining 10.  A tough task for whoever the new guy turns out to be.

We need to surprise one of Bradford or London at home, pull off wins against relegation rivals Whitehaven and Swinton and probably get a result against Sheffield away too.

Four points from the next five games is an absolute minimum.  Anything less and the season will just dissolve into nothing. 

 

Hi Dave

Can't disagree with anything you say and I do believe it is an almost impossible task for us to stay up.  Having said that, I do feel if we can entice a good half-back we have the pack to allow them the time and room to put on some real attacking plays.  Get two established half backs in and we could really move up the league. 

Keeping everything crossed now that we get a good coach who can hopefully bring one or two players with them to take us Onwards & Upwards. Stay up or not, we need to invest in the new coach which is why appointing the right one is paramount. 

Quote

 

 

Edited by Tony Mac

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think in all probability we are down looking at the fixtures and our lack of form. 

A disappointing season so far. After a pre season that promised so much

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the call to get John Fieldhouse on board is a good one but, as a relative outsider (Oldham are only my "second" team) I wonder if a return to League One is such a bad thing for the club under its present set-up under CH and apparently nobody else.

Relegation into League One can't be about crowd figures because as I understand it  only about 400 turn up to Championship games at Stalybridge. which could surely be matched in  League One games against Swinton (assuming they go down), Rochdale, Keighley, Hunslet and Doncaster  and Barrow or Workington can match that.  Having taken the liberty of invading this column I have said earlier, playing outside Oldham is a major handicap but you have to be able to offer a coach like JF something more than an annual struggle to avoid relegation.  Victories, even in League One offer a feel-good factor and as Barrow have discovered, with the help of some astute management from a forward thinking chairman attendances have risen  to the point where more than 3,000 turned up last Sunday. (Some of them may have got in before 1 pm for free but they spent plenty once they were inside and there were more than a few family parties on the terraces.

I am only writing this because I have a genuine feeling for Oldham, having lived in Tameside for more than 20 years but if staying up means another season of struggle and tales of woe among the fans is it worth it?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rowan said:

I think the call to get John Fieldhouse on board is a good one but, as a relative outsider (Oldham are only my "second" team) I wonder if a return to League One is such a bad thing for the club under its present set-up under CH and apparently nobody else.

Relegation into League One can't be about crowd figures because as I understand it  only about 400 turn up to Championship games at Stalybridge. which could surely be matched in  League One games against Swinton (assuming they go down), Rochdale, Keighley, Hunslet and Doncaster  and Barrow or Workington can match that.  Having taken the liberty of invading this column I have said earlier, playing outside Oldham is a major handicap but you have to be able to offer a coach like JF something more than an annual struggle to avoid relegation.  Victories, even in League One offer a feel-good factor and as Barrow have discovered, with the help of some astute management from a forward thinking chairman attendances have risen  to the point where more than 3,000 turned up last Sunday. (Some of them may have got in before 1 pm for free but they spent plenty once they were inside and there were more than a few family parties on the terraces.

I am only writing this because I have a genuine feeling for Oldham, having lived in Tameside for more than 20 years but if staying up means another season of struggle and tales of woe among the fans is it worth it?

It’s always worth it

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fair enough,. But why? Winning teams usually draw bigger crowds than losers becaue a promotion battle is more exciting than a relegation struggle, isn't it? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

rowan you talk garbage a winning team in the championship is better than a winning team in champ. 1

the amount of supporters the opposition brings can be one and a halve thousand or two no contest.

but the problem oldham have if they are relegated is in attracting the floating fans is the resurgence of rochdale.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry if I upset you Tandle but Oldham have not got a winning team in the championship - which is surely the point -you're not likely to have one any time soon. But, hey, each to his own. I just think Oldham have a better chance of building in League One rather than scratching around in the Championship. - that's not garbage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hamilton sacking a coach mid season  is unprecedented  for him ( I think ?) and I guess he sounded out a few of the senior players before he made his decision. I think part of his motivation might be the uncertainity over the League structure next season given the 30% cut in Sky money and as a result the possibilty that there might not be a League 1 to drop into next year !   

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...