Rugby League fans watching football

Will you be watching the England soccer team tonight   

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching the England soccer team tonight

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/21 at 23:01

4 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Sky Sports nearly always call it soccer. 

Soccer AM was a massive hit for them. 

I find it amusing that people get wound up by it. The biggest sport on the planet with a massive self-esteem issue.

Are you sure about this, LW?  Try this link:

Football Games, Results, Scores, Transfers, News | Sky Sports

6 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Football in England is soccer to over 99.9% of the population. Say Footie on the East Coast of Australia it’ll be Rugby League, say it on the West Coast and it’ll be Aussie Rules, say it in the USA and it’ll be NFL.

Good points, Kev, but you need to understand that it can cause confusion.  I once heard Garry Richardson, in Hull, on BBC Radio 4, ask the Hull KR chairman if he was tempted to buy 'the football club'.  I was a bit confused until I realised he meant the soccer club, Hull City.

Not a big deal, I agree, and I don't get 'wound up' by it as Leeds Wire erroneously suggests, just a bit disappointed, as I said.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Are you sure about this, LW?  Try this link:

Football Games, Results, Scores, Transfers, News | Sky Sports

Good points, Kev, but you need to understand that it can cause confusion.  I once heard Garry Richardson, in Hull, on BBC Radio 4, ask the Hull KR chairman if he was tempted to buy 'the football club'.  I was a bit confused until I realised he meant the soccer club, Hull City.

Not a big deal, I agree, and I don't get 'wound up' by it as Leeds Wire erroneously suggests, just a bit disappointed, as I said.

You've lost me completely, sorry mate.

Soccer Am Videos & Highlights | Sky Sports

Soccer Saturday - Football Expert | Sky Sports

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I am disappointed by how the word 'football' has been hijacked in recent years, in this country, to mean 'soccer'.  That is reflected in the title of this thread and in many comments above, though hats off to those like Padge who use 'soccer'.

I watched some football on the TV this afternoon.  It was Wigan -v- Huddersfield.  Later, I may watch some more football I recorded yesterday; it was Tipperary -v- Kerry, in, if I recall correctly, the Munster Senior Football Championship.

By definition, rugby league fans watch football, as do most GAA fans, followers of the AFL, America's NFL and even those who are attracted to the Dark Side!

What a daft post. 

The whole world calls it football, apart from isolated outposts like the USA/Canada, rural Ireland, and Australia. 

Rugby League fans watch Rugby League, not football. It's 2021 FFS.

23 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

What a daft post. 

The whole world calls it football, apart from isolated outposts like the USA/Canada, rural Ireland, and Australia. 

Rugby League fans watch Rugby League, not football. It's 2021 FFS.

I was brought up being taken to the football, watching great footballers and playing football. The game with a round ball was soccer, it still is and I still go to watch Wigan Rugby play football.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Yeah have watched the England game real shame about the result. 
In a lot of ways football is a miles better sport despite been an inferior game has become much more popular than RL and not just at international level. Love seeing last day of the season who will win the title, who will go up or down so much better than RL.

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It's neither but spread faster and is one of the few sports all body types can play.

Basketball is only for tall people, everyone at my school in Shropshire refused to do athletics because bluntly white lads dont win in athletics so why bother.  Association football can be played by all heights and physiques.

Rugby (both codes but more Union) now requires an absurd weight gain which heavily collapses our player pool. 

Not really true Small players can play the game if they have the skill level required.

3 hours ago, Padge said:

Some fans have learned how to enjoy themselves and behave, the Scottish for example, who had a terrible reputation in years gone by but are now welcomed with open arms.

To be fair Glasgow Rangers fans trashed Manchester a few years ago so not everyone shares your feelings.

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It's neither but spread faster and is one of the few sports all body types can play.

Basketball is only for tall people, everyone at my school in Shropshire refused to do athletics because bluntly white lads dont win in athletics so why bother.  Association football can be played by all heights and physiques.

Rugby (both codes but more Union) now requires an absurd weight gain which heavily collapses our player pool. 

You can't play RL on a night after work when you have work the next morning as an amateur anyway, certainly not socially or 'leisure league' - yeah you can play touch or tag or something but it's nowhere near the actual game as opposed to 5 or 7 a side football on a night, which is doable and much closer to the real game. That's one of the major advantages. 

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

There are exceptions of course  (Burrow) but the weight required and tendency of coaches to pick based on physical developement is why participation has been eaten compared to association football , where all body types can play. 

Depends on the level I am 5’7” and played amateur rugby for years so no I don’t agree.

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

To be fair Glasgow Rangers fans trashed Manchester a few years ago so not everyone shares your feelings.

A very different beast to the Tartan Army. In fact there’s a remarkably high crossover between the respective fan bases of Rangers and England. But that’s another topic altogether. 

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

A very different beast to the Tartan Army. In fact there’s a remarkably high crossover between the respective fan bases of Rangers and England. But that’s another topic altogether. 

Yeah I know, but to somehow state that Scottish fans are angels now is factually incorrect.

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yeah I know, but to somehow state that Scottish fans are angels now is factually incorrect.

Maybe it should be rephrased to ‘fans of the Scottish national side’, who agave received numerous awards for their good behaviour. The aforementioned Rangers fans tend to have their international allegiances elsewhere. 

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I was referring more to the international side of soccer.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Maybe it should be rephrased to ‘fans of the Scottish national side’, who agave received numerous awards for their good behaviour. The aforementioned Rangers fans tend to have their international allegiances elsewhere. 

It should be rephrased certainly as I don’t think Rangers are the only ones with a problem when it comes to the Scottish club scene.

5 minutes ago, Padge said:

I was referring more to the international side of soccer.

Fair enough I thought you were generalising about Scottish football fans.

I think you’re probably right that the Tartan Army is almost twee compared to some other Scottish club sides.

Obviously the England scene is a different level again.

21 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The largest proportion of the tartan army are rangers fans.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

I was brought up being taken to the football, watching great footballers and playing football. The game with a round ball was soccer, it still is and I still go to watch Wigan Rugby play football.

How old are you?

I appreciate in places like Wigan, West Cumbria etc there was time (many decades ago) where the game was referred to locally as football.

The world moves on though, despite the best efforts of some Rugby League fans. 

3 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

I'm English but support Wales in every sport. 

Before anyone says it, England cricket is, by official name, England and Wales. 

Similarly, other than RL, which I'd prefer to be GB, I follow the Welsh method. Supporting Wales and anyone else who's playing against England. 

I've never described myself as English (or 'self-identified as' to use modern parlance). I'm from Yorkshire and I'm British from the UK.

Just now, The Frying Scotsman said:

How old are you?

I appreciate in places like Wigan, West Cumbria etc there was time (many decades ago) where the game was referred to locally as football.

Rugby players still get called footballers in Wigan and though the numbers may be dwindling it is not uncommon to be asked are you going to or have you been to the football (rugby).

3 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Similarly, other than RL, which I'd prefer to be GB, I follow the Welsh method. Supporting Wales and anyone else who's playing against England. 

I've never described myself as English (or 'self-identified as' to use modern parlance). I'm from Yorkshire and I'm British from the UK.

I always used to say British, for nationality I now always use European.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

Rugby players still get called footballers in Wigan and though the numbers may be dwindling it is not uncommon to be asked are you going to or have you been to the football (rugby).

Among what sort of generation?

Google "Wigan Football" and then find me one reference to the Rugby League team. Every response I can see refers to Wigan Athletic (or some kind of amateur football). 

9 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

How old are you?

There are many UK media outlets that don't even refer to the word "football" to determine a difference between sports. I have heard numerous news updates on the radio today ( Sunday) that have simply called Gareth Southgate the " England manager". Fortunately I am educated enough to know that Gareth is not the manager of England. That job is currently occupied by Boris Johnson..........

Archived