League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)

10 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Easy to sit back and criticise every suggestion but what should we do?  Sit back and do nothing in hope that it all comes good?

The state of the UK game, imo, is at a critical point where it appears rudderless with little direction from above.  Serious decisions have to be made by club owners around growing the community game,  genuine development of youth infrastructures as well as improving crowds through game day experience.  

I have an idea that some clubs self interests will conquer any collective strategy objectives though.  I really do hope I am wrong.

Good post. 

I am actually a little less bothered on the growing crowds element than I am with the bits in bold, which I think are more important. Obviously it's not one or the other and everything is intertwined, so crowds are important too.

But TV viewership, broadening the sport's appeal (club rugby isn't going to achieve that) and club standards are really key as well. 

We are at a crossroads; our 'friends' in the SH are not going to help. We need to deliver change for the long term future of the game in England and the NH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ooh Ah Timmy Street said:

One of the suggestions(according to John Davidson), is that the bottom four of league 1 will get culled this season .  

for arguments sake, let’s say that is Coventry , West Wales , North Wales and London Skolars. That’s a number of player pathways just wiped from the game .  

The sport is in a dire & desperate need to find new audiences, new sponsors & raise the profile of the game - so we consider a cull of 4 teams that are actually doing exactly that - Absolute Madness!!! 🙁

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

The sport is in a dire & desperate need to find new audiences, new sponsors & raise the profile of the game - so we consider a cull of 4 teams that are actually doing exactly that - Absolute Madness!!! 🙁

Turns out ... it’s more than 4 who are about to be culled

• Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

I'm not adverse to culling clubs if they are taking a grant but delivering little/nothing in a range of criteria, including those you have mentioned, including those in non-heartland areas. 

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I'm not adverse to culling clubs if they are taking a grant but delivering little/nothing in a range of criteria, including those you have mentioned, including those in non-heartland areas. 

Name the clubs you feel should be culled then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Everything you are saying is hyperthetical. Who would have thought Cas and Salford would make the Grand Final when they were in the stuck in the second tier? What is to say that Fev could never win the competition? For me its one of the reasons I have lost most of my interest in the pro sport, we are more interested in manufacturing teams to get them in the top division rather than letting teams grow organically on the field and giving them a chance to take the ball and run with it. The game now is all about self interest and the teams in SL protecting themselves because they know they are screwed if they were to drop down a division.

Well expanded SL to 14 isn´t picking winners, if anything we are artificially protected teams with an absurd 12 team bottleneck. 

Just now, NW10LDN said:

Name the clubs you feel should be culled then.

No idea. It would need to be based on a  set of criteria dependent on which level each club is currently operating at; minimum standards at each level. If all clubs meet each respective grade, they should stay IMO.

Judging by that Matthew Shaw article under the proposal it discusses the clubs outside the top 20 will not be culled so much as being formed into a 16 club league one that will have significantly less funding allocated than the division above it. If that proposed format is adopted there will be an almighty scramble for 6th place in the Championship in 2022. Unfortunately we will probably see financial collapse by the clubs that just miss out after they have spent lots in an effort to make the top 6.

The new competitions hinted at previously presumably would be a way of topping up the 9 home games in each division rather than having loop fixtures.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wiganermike said:

Judging by that Matthew Shaw article under the proposal it discusses the clubs outside the top 20 will not be culled so much as being formed into a 16 club league one that will have significantly less funding allocated than the division above it. If that proposed format is adopted there will be an almighty scramble for 6th place in the Championship in 2022. Unfortunately we will probably see financial collapse by the clubs that just miss out after they have spent lots in an effort to make the top 6.

The new competitions hinted at previously presumably would be a way of topping up the 9 home games in each division rather than having loop fixtures.

Thanks, I hadn’t read that extra detail about the 16 club league one.

Guess once you’re in there you’re really treading water.

I share your concern that clubs will overreach in the scramble to make the top 20.

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

So Matthew Shaw is reporting a Super League of 2 divisions of ten (presumably not conferences)?

Guess that means funding only for those 20, with a big drop off from the first 10 to the other 10.

Do the rest try and join the amateur setup, bet the house on a place, merge with neighbours?

Grim.

He does seem to suggest two divisions as he mentions P&R between them. It seems an odd way to go about it to expand by 2 only to immediately relegate 4. Equal conferences would allow cross conference games to add more home games without repeat fixtures but it seems unlikely it would be anything other than a two tiered divisions.

• Like 1

People need to stop coming out with nonsense like xxxxx are attractive to TV companies. They said it about London, they said it about Salford, neither true. 

What TV companies want are strong buoyant teams playing good rugby putting on a good show for the cameras in modern facilities with good crowds. That's what makes good TV.

Do we really think Warrington, Wigan and St Helens are important towns for TV? Are they hell, but they do well for the TV companies and they get covered plenty. 

Really strong clubs is the most important point, that's what partners want. 

The name York really isn't a draw in sport. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

All 3 Cumbria clubs potentially gone under that plan. So much for caring about the game in the North.

Not gone, but with little or no central funding in a 16 team league 1 below the 2 tier super league as I understand it. 

13 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

He does seem to suggest two divisions as he mentions P&R between them. It seems an odd way to go about it to expand by 2 only to immediately relegate 4. Equal conferences would allow cross conference games to add more home games without repeat fixtures but it seems unlikely it would be anything other than a two tiered divisions.

As I read it, they'll relegate 6 with 2 replaced by promoted teams.

Just now, Barley Mow said:

Not gone, but with little or no central funding in a 16 team league 1 below the 2 tier super league as I understand it. 

Almost the same thing. A lot of 16 clubs will pack it in and return to the community game.

Well. That's it. It's a fait accompli. All decided and confirmed. Nailed on. 

I'm interested in that drive, that rush to judgment, that is so prevalent in our society. We all know that pleasurable rush that comes from condemning, and in the short term it's quite a satisfying thing to do, isn't it?

J. K. Rowling

38 minutes ago, Spidey said:

That makes truly depressing reading. There is a complete failure to acknowledge the problems the sport faces. Let's just make the pot smaller and divide it less ways and come up with a boring, repetitive league structure. If we call it Super League 1 and 2 then maybe no one will notice.

I really can't see how this makes the game more attractive to fans, viewers, broadcasters or commercial partners. If anything I think it's the complete opposite. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Damien said:

That makes truly depressing reading. There is a complete failure to acknowledge the problems the sport faces. Let's just make the pot smaller and divide it less ways and come up with a boring, repetitive league structure. If we call it Super League 1 and 2 then maybe no one will notice.

I really can't see how this makes the game more attractive to fans, viewers, broadcasters or commercial partners. If anything I think it's the complete opposite. 

Spot on. 

It spreads the finite financial resource further, with absolutely no guarantee of increasing any revenue streams from a "SL2" TV contract. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Almost the same thing. A lot of 16 clubs will pack it in and return to the community game.

I'll reserve judgement for the time being, but think many of the existing league 1 clubs may well be more resilient to such a change than current championship clubs who just miss out on a SL2 place.

• John Drake changed the title to League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)