Pop up video advertisements.

19 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just started recieving them on this platform is anyone else? How do I stop them, please.

18 hours ago, John Drake said:

Thanks. I wish more people understood this.

Folks, we gotta eat, y'know!

This forum gobbles up a lot of expensive bandwidth, and is available to all, free of charge, not just those who support LPL financially by buying League Express.

Without ads, it wouldn't be here at all.

We trial all different kinds of ads at different times. Some work, and generate a decent return, others don't. None of them are around for very long, one way or the other.

It's a minor inconvenience we'd ask you all to live with.

The alternative is............................ <<empty space where TRL forums used to be>>

16 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I’m sure I remember paying £10 years ago to use the forum? Am I remembering correctly? A few pop up ads are better than that I guess!

15 hours ago, Scubby said:

I get a pop up of Martyn Sadler explaining his revolutionary restructuring thesis.

Can I have the pop up ads instead please?

I'm not getting them (yet) but I'd rather not have them.

I understand perfectly, your need to finance the website and that honest advertisers are nothing to fear.

What I object to, is the very personal profiling that goes on, for the purpose of more accurately targeting ads, and in particular, behaviour-modifying content (not that I'm saying you're involved in that caper John). 

I do keep seeing ads, for the RaRa (on other websites) positioned alongside RL content and it's very annoying.

This is an example of the darkside using data, collected on ''free websites'' to identify us and then target us with their poison. There's no such thing as a free lunch. 

So here my preference, I'd rather pay a premium (if you can engineer the software, John) to block the ads from my screen and a promise not to share (sell) my data to these dark actors.

11 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

yep, it was a tenner to join many moons ago, I looked at it like I was joining the VIP membership. Nowadays it's free and they let all the working class in for nowt. I'm sure I even seen my butler posting on here...... it was on his afternoon off though

I've been around this forum for yonks and can't ever remember paying to use it? I take my memory is shot?

23 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I've been around this forum for yonks and can't ever remember paying to use it? I take my memory is shot?

Nope just that you could be a typical Yorkshire tight wad who is hard wired to glaze over any attempt to extract money 😄 

43 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I'm not getting them (yet) but I'd rather not have them.

I understand perfectly, your need to finance the website and that honest advertisers are nothing to fear.

What I object to, is the very personal profiling that goes on, for the purpose of more accurately targeting ads, and in particular, behaviour-modifying content (not that I'm saying you're involved in that caper John). 

I do keep seeing ads, for the RaRa (on other websites) positioned alongside RL content and it's very annoying.

This is an example of the darkside using data, collected on ''free websites'' to identify us and then target us with their poison. There's no such thing as a free lunch. 

So here my preference, I'd rather pay a premium (if you can engineer the software, John) to block the ads from my screen and a promise not to share (sell) my data to these dark actors.

Ads on TRL (for me anyway) are based on your own search history, nothing more sinister than that.

Case in point, I was looking for some new sunglasses last night for my holiday in Ibiza next month, et voila!

EDIT: I tried to upload a screengrab from three different image hosting websites, but TRL says no...

45 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

The charge was for new/ newer members. Old timers were allowed to join for nowt

7 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Ads on TRL (for me anyway) are based on your own search history, nothing more sinister than that.

Case in point, I was looking for some new sunglasses last night for my holiday in Ibiza next month, et voila!

EDIT: I tried to upload a screengrab from three different image hosting websites, but TRL says no...

Why was I seeing ads for red Baywatch bikinis then when I am clearly a man who doesn't wear one? 😕 

3 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

I tried to upload a screengrab from three different image hosting websites, but TRL says no...

computer says no

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I get this as well (on various sites - YouTube video suggestions, etc).

I always assumed that 'the algorithm' couldn't differentiate between different code of rugby. I always make sure I click the 'not interested' option for union adverts where available.

Just now, Barley Mow said:

I get this as well (on various sites - YouTube video suggestions, etc).

I always assumed that 'the algorithm' couldn't differentiate between different code of rugby. I always make sure I click the 'not interested' option for union adverts where available.

I'm inclined to believe, its a concerted effort to 'seduce' RL people on the basis that the games are similar, so we may be tempted. Pure poison. We don't want that anywhere near our websites, and forums. 

I think all of us who paid £10 years ago should get one of those blue ticks next to our name on the forum to highlight our greatness 😂

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

21 hours ago, Johnoco said:

The £10 charge was in 2002 and although you had to spend £10, you got that off the price of the GB-Australia game at Man City, so it cost me nowt in reality. There were a few other benefits too so I didn't mind it. But I remember a few people having a heart attack about it at the time.

After a while LPL remembered they were dealing with RL fans and dropped the charge in the end. And the tightwads returned. 😜

Wasn't the GB-Aus game at Man City 2004? No way the RFL planned 2 years in advance 😄 

On 14/08/2021 at 12:28, Gav Wilson said:

Agreed. It is simply down to that.

@fighting irish you have obviously been searching, reading, and contributing to union websites. 

I don't see any ads for union products, everything I do see though, is linked to my search history. Same as Gav Wilson, and probably everyone else on here. 

Ease off on the union stuff and you hopefully won't see any more of these ads that you "hate so much"

Archived