Jump to content

Reasons to continue with League One


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Damien said:

The RFL have always got a share of the TV money for administration. 

Yes, but the amount has always been negotiable. This is one of the issues under consideration, I understand, where the RFL claims that it needs more money for administration than the whole of C1 "need" for existence and development.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, JF1 said:

I was at a meeting recently.We were told that each League 1 club would receive at amount no greater than £30,000 each,possibly even zilch.

The figure I heard was half that. All rumours at the moment but really not good news. Hoping there'll be something more positive this week 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've not read most of the above posts, apologies. For me though, and I'm a member of Our League but not a subscriber, if Our Leagues ourput gave me a few random free games in the Wonenens Super League and the Championship, league 1 and academy, and a decent highlights package which included the french league, I'd happily part with 10 to 15 quid a month. If they wanted to put big games on as add on subscriptions on top of this, that would be fine with me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

I've not read most of the above posts, apologies. For me though, and I'm a member of Our League but not a subscriber, if Our Leagues ourput gave me a few random free games in the Wonenens Super League and the Championship, league 1 and academy, and a decent highlights package which included the french league, I'd happily part with 10 to 15 quid a month. If they wanted to put big games on as add on subscriptions on top of this, that would be fine with me. 

This point , was looking at it for Championship but let´s say we have 10 L1 teams, that´s 750,000 pound. 

If you were using the OuRLeague App to cover costs you would need 6500-7000 people paying 12 pound a month for a year. 

Are there 7000 people who would be happy to pay 12 quid a month for a year for a League 1 game a week?

For the Championship, you´d need 12,000 giving 12 quid a month and that would get you 100k each. 

If there was more the app could offer. (Champ game a week, some international 9´s games with a bit of wheelchair) maybe but that still a tough sell. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

This point , was looking at it for Championship but let´s say we have 10 L1 teams, that´s 750,000 pound. 

If you were using the OuRLeague App to cover costs you would need 6500-7000 people paying 12 pound a month for a year. 

Are there 7000 people who would be happy to pay 12 quid a month for a year for a League 1 game a week?

For the Championship, you´d need 12,000 giving 12 quid a month and that would get you 100k each. 

If there was more the app could offer. (Champ game a week, some international 9´s games with a bit of wheelchair) maybe but that still a tough sell. 

Think it's safe to say this wouldn't fund the clubs on it's own. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, thebrewxi said:

Think it's safe to say this wouldn't fund the clubs on it's own. 

No I´m thinking the central funding loss of 75k for League 1. Or a bit of money for Champ. Noone is going to pay tv rights for either and it´s hard to justify giving anymore money to clubs who don´t contribute to the value of the TV deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

No I´m thinking the central funding loss of 75k for League 1. Or a bit of money for Champ. Noone is going to pay tv rights for either and it´s hard to justify giving anymore money to clubs who don´t contribute to the value of the TV deal. 

What about the contribution they make as nurseries for the production of top class players, providing opportunities for aspiring youngsters to progress beyond League 1. For providing fans, to fill Old Trafford for the Grand Final and St James Park during magic weekend.

Just because SKY don't want to televise their games, doesn't mean they have no value.

Often when a limb is amputated, the patient dies.

I urge these, self absorbed powerbrokers, to think twice before cutting off healthy limbs.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

What about the contribution they make as nurseries for the production of top class players, providing opportunities for aspiring youngsters to progress beyond League 1. For providing fans, to fill Old Trafford for the Grand Final and St James Park during magic weekend.

Just because SKY don't want to televise their games, doesn't mean they have no value.

Often when a limb is amputated, the patient dies.

I urge these, self absorbed powerbrokers, to think twice before cutting off healthy limbs.

Yeah but this amputation is more 127 Hours than "oops we cut off the wrong leg!".

I agree with keeping League 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

What about the contribution they make as nurseries for the production of top class players, providing opportunities for aspiring youngsters to progress beyond League 1. For providing fans, to fill Old Trafford for the Grand Final and St James Park during magic weekend.

Just because SKY don't want to televise their games, doesn't mean they have no value.

Often when a limb is amputated, the patient dies.

I urge these, self absorbed powerbrokers, to think twice before cutting off healthy limbs.

I think you can actually make that case easier for League 1 than Championship, that´s just taken money with no roi and the rfl has no infrastructure to show for it. How many fans are Oldham and Swinton really providing and what facilities. Why are we giving money based on finishing position when that just creats a perverse matthews effect where clubs just work off that money. 

I support a club in Champ, it´s a great comp but no way has it been worth the amount of cash put into it with nothing to show in return. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I think you can actually make that case easier for League 1 than Championship, that´s just taken money with no roi and the rfl has no infrastructure to show for it. How many fans are Oldham and Swinton really providing and what facilities. Why are we giving money based on finishing position when that just creats a perverse matthews effect where clubs just work off that money. 

I support a club in Champ, it´s a great comp but no way has it been worth the amount of cash put into it with nothing to show in return. 

We need to define what we want ''in return'', or we'll never get it.

One of the problems with concentrating all the tv money in the (current) top clubs, is it provides a comfort level which doesn't encourage them to develop other income streams.

In a perfect world, the clubs would be self sustaining and the tv money would be cream for the already profitable clubs.

There's a goal to aspire to.

How about some new, outside the box ideas, for moving forward? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I support a club in Champ, it´s a great comp but no way has it been worth the amount of cash put into it with nothing to show in return. 

Isn't that good enough? I am interested in what are the expectations of the Championship? From Clubs? SL? RFL? Us all?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

This point , was looking at it for Championship but let´s say we have 10 L1 teams, that´s 750,000 pound. 

If you were using the OuRLeague App to cover costs you would need 6500-7000 people paying 12 pound a month for a year. 

Are there 7000 people who would be happy to pay 12 quid a month for a year for a League 1 game a week?

For the Championship, you´d need 12,000 giving 12 quid a month and that would get you 100k each. 

If there was more the app could offer. (Champ game a week, some international 9´s games with a bit of wheelchair) maybe but that still a tough sell. 

Based on the viewing figures for league 1 games on ourleague this year its highly unlikely. Some games had less than a 100 subscribers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Based on the viewing figures for league 1 games on ourleague this year its highly unlikely. Some games had less than a 100 subscribers. 

And there´s the issue. We talk about the product at L1 and Champ but at that level it´s about getting people through the doors. Likewise, it´s clear it doesn´t make a financial contribution to the tv rights. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Isn't that good enough? I am interested in what are the expectations of the Championship? From Clubs? SL? RFL? Us all?

A well run Champ would be a hub of community activity with a few clubs that use it as an incubation chamber before stepping up, same for players. To do this they need a proper home that generates rev and place for community work. So  Swinton (homeless, no) Oldham (homeless, no). Dewsbury (3g facilities, yep) Sheffield (previously no but with new stadium yep.) 

If we had the money it would be 100k to each team that meets the requirements and nothing to the rest. As we don´t have the money, I´m inclined to give nothing to anyone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

A well run Champ would be a hub of community activity with a few clubs that use it as an incubation chamber before stepping up, same for players. To do this they need a proper home that generates rev and place for community work. So  Swinton (homeless, no) Oldham (homeless, no). Dewsbury (3g facilities, yep) Sheffield (previously no but with new stadium yep.) 

If we had the money it would be 100k to each team that meets the requirements and nothing to the rest. As we don´t have the money, I´m inclined to give nothing to anyone. 

So that's your view. What about the other game stakeholders I mentioned? 

And how many clubs would you suggest meet those criteria? And to keep it on thread, would those apply to League 1 too?

Edited by distantdog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, distantdog said:

So that's your view. What about the other game stakeholders I mentioned? 

And how many clubs would you suggest meet those criteria? And do keep it on thread, would those apply to League 1 too?

You asked me about the champ so I answered. They´d have too I guess.

West Wales aren´t near the Welsh RL heartlands and you´d be better funding a team in Cardiff. Crowds are non existent. Doncaster play at an oversized stadium with little engagement. Rochdale likewise probably wouldn´t be getting any cash. Skolars propbably ok due to presence in London needed. 

Hunslet are probably at risk with their low crowds and seemingly very little to offer. Oldham and Swinton no money. Coventry crowds are low but community work in an area with little helps. I´ll make the point before others that Salford if they were in the Champ would get 0 under my model also. 

Above that it´s 100k plus academy funding. That´s it. Ends the matthews effect and means clubs that generate the most income themselves will be the most successful in league finishes and potential for SL, which is what we want. 

 

 

 

Edited by ShropshireBull
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A plan is needed to help keep League 1 even if it's just as development league for new and existing clubs to join and build into stronger outfits. 

Junior pathways, community development, schools engagement, marketing and promotion and building supporter bases need to be the areas that clubs need to focus on. Funding could be given based on these set of criteria with the amount given related to how many of the criteria they meet. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

A plan is needed to help keep League 1 even if it's just as development league for new and existing clubs to join and build into stronger outfits. 

Junior pathways, community development, schools engagement, marketing and promotion and building supporter bases need to be the areas that clubs need to focus on. Funding could be given based on these set of criteria with the amount given related to how many of the criteria they meet. 

Absolutely.

Even if funding was cut to £50,000, in proportion to the TV deal reduction  that is only £600,000 for 12 teams. It really is nothing for the stepping stone that league 1 provides and it does help to expand the games national footprint, which I feel is important.

I refuse to believe that SL clubs can't make do with £50,000 less, it's not even the average wage of 1 player.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Absolutely.

Even if funding was cut to £50,000, in proportion to the TV deal reduction  that is only £600,000 for 12 teams. It really is nothing for the stepping stone that league 1 provides and it does help to expand the games national footprint, which I feel is important.

I refuse to believe that SL clubs can't make do with £50,000 less, it's not even the average wage of 1 player.

Yeah it´s the championship that needs it´s fat trimmed . 10 L1 clubs costing maximum of 500,000 . Think we can justify that if they hit criteria. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the Sky Tv deal reducing cuts need to be made, Super League, Championship and League 1 will all likely receive less than before. I found an old article that had the breakdown as 80% going to Super League, 8% Championship and 1% to League One. I think it’s hard to justify why the Championship should get 8 times the funding of League One, the two should be much closer together IMO, no wonder there’s such a big gap from Championship to League One. 

 

The five-year deal breaks down as follows:

£146,760,000, or 80 per cent, will go to Super League clubs.

£14,576,000 or 8 per cent, will go to the twelve Championship clubs in the second tier.

£1,822,000, or one per cent, will go to the Championship One clubs.

£20,042,000, or 11 per cent, will be paid for Challenge Cup and internationals coverage.

Edited by Sir Kevin Sinfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/08/2021 at 23:32, thebrewxi said:

I've not read most of the above posts, apologies. For me though, and I'm a member of Our League but not a subscriber, if Our Leagues ourput gave me a few random free games in the Wonenens Super League and the Championship, league 1 and academy, and a decent highlights package which included the french league, I'd happily part with 10 to 15 quid a month. If they wanted to put big games on as add on subscriptions on top of this, that would be fine with me. 

I think the addition of wheel chair RL and PDRL on a regular basis could/will make OurLeague a superb diverse and inclusive example of the sport

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ackroman said:

I think the addition of wheel chair RL and PDRL on a regular basis could/will make OurLeague a superb diverse and inclusive example of the sport

More gifable too.  Some of those wheelchair tries and pdrl tries are alot easier to promote because its new and also those wheelchair hits look crazy at times. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...