Adam Pearson and Private Equity rear their ugly heads again

So in the recent BBC Rugby League podcast with Dave Woods, Adam Pearson says that Rugby League will be dead in a year if it doesn't bring in private investment. 

Unfortunately Adam and the other club owners are the problem. The more they make decisions for the whole sport the worse off it becomes. The sport doesn't need private equity it needs club owners to stay away from making decisions that affect RL's health and value.

Furthermore why do the club owners/executives/chairman feel as though they need more of the spotlight than the players that actually play the sport? Isnt that also a part of the problem? Michael Carter, Derek Beaumont and Adam Pearson boosting their own profiles on Twitter, podcasts and making press releases taking the limelight from the players 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Pearson always seems to be keen on the easy way out. If he cant take Hull FC forward then maybe he should step aside and let someone else takeover.

Simple as. From my vantage point it seems like obtaining PE is an alternative source of income now that the Sky money is drying up. Unfortunately the clubs would have to pay the money back and I don't see the whole process going smoothly 

15 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

So in the recent BBC Rugby League podcast with Dave Woods, Adam Pearson says that Rugby League will be dead in a year if it doesn't bring in private investment. 

Unfortunately Adam and the other club owners are the problem. The more they make decisions for the whole sport the worse off it becomes. The sport doesn't need private equity it needs club owners to stay away from making decisions that affect RL's health and value.

Furthermore why do the club owners/executives/chairman feel as though they need more of the spotlight than the players that actually play the sport? Isnt that also a part of the problem? Michael Carter, Derek Beaumont and Adam Pearson boosting their own profiles on Twitter, podcasts and making press releases taking the limelight from the players 

Agree with your second paragraph but not the third. I don’t use Twitter but I don’t mind club owners being on Podcasts etc, I’m interested in what they have to say. I don’t think they’re taking limelight from players either. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Private Equity and a Hundred style tournament? Honestly, why does anyone put up with Pearson’s comical behaviour?

If an independent board is being formed why is he and other club owners telling the board before it's even been formed that they need to get Private Equity and start a new competition? 

Here's a suggestion let's get a proper independent board formed and let them decide what needs to be done, not the club owners who've already made so many bad decisions 

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/firm-interested-in-buying-super-league-goes-under-41687/

LOL !

Short term fix that would be spent on wages (not that I am opposed to pay rises) and then once it is gone it is gone and then there is a long term drain on the finances of the game to the investors.

Without addressing the underlying issues of the game, it is no more a fix than giving an addict a pile of cash to sort himself out.

If Barrow can manage to up their crowds to about 20% of Hull's (a powerhouse in the sport) - then Hull need to look at themselves.

Just now, The Daddy said:

Sounds like they're looking for a new one 

Didn't they also pay £750k in a break fee to them? On top of all the money Pearson and the like wasted on the pointless Super League breakaway.

Bloke couldn't run a bath.

Pearson's monthly rant is only ever designed to cover up for his own shortcomings as an owner. Perhaps spending more time on improving his club and less calling for short-term 'cures' might be a good idea?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Pearson's monthly rant is only ever designed to cover up for his own shortcomings as an owner. Perhaps spending more time on improving his club and less calling for short-term 'cures' might be a good idea?

Indeed, the most fundamental of these being that he is, in a relative sense, not actually that wealthy.

I havent listened to the podcast as yet but in the bbc article (which i assume has been written from it) he does say that the owners need to stop making the decisions in their own self interest https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/58264373 which is frankly music to my ears. 

The rest is what i would call "white board thinking".. basically sit around a white board and splurge all your ideas out, there are no stupid ideas.. then everyone starts to look at them, tweak them around a bit, and get the good ones so you can work on them.. get rid of the actual rubbish. However, you dont do it in public as there are stupid ideas!

All of that should be done by the new board that is independent though and he should be nowhere near it.. so for me after his "we should stop making selfish decisions and have a board that is independent" the rest of what he says, to an extent, is a bit irrelevant.. 

10 hours ago, Damien said:

Pearson always seems to be keen on the easy way out. If he cant take Hull FC forward then maybe he should step aside and let someone else takeover.

Like who?

Where is this line of wealthy investors? I'm pretty sure he'd step aside the second one popped up.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Pearson is doing that classic thing of talking RL down - even raising the suggestion of a merger with Hull KR - and proposing ideas that would be of direct benefit to himself.

It may be that RL does go down the PE route but I wouldn't want Pearson to get his mitts on any of it. Wouldn't trust him with a fiver. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Pearson. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/58264373

Right near the bottom of the article. 

He seems incredibly desperate for the sport. I'm the ten years he's been at the club, a lot has changed in terms of the running of the game.

If there was a way out, I'm sure he'd take it.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

He seems incredibly desperate for the sport. I'm the ten years he's been at the club, a lot has changed in terms of the running of the game.

If there was a way out, I'm sure he'd take it.

I assume he’s speaking with Hudgell right now to get the ball rolling

Archived