Jermaine Coleman announced as London Broncos coach

The Daddy

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Well..... I didn't see that coming. Jermaine Coleman is or was the London Skolars coach. 

It's good to see London appoint a local Londoner as coach. I wish him the best of luck.

He’s a Yorkie not a Londoner, though he’s been down there for a fair while iirc. 

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

Wow. Huge loss for us. He’s a great coach and I wish him all the best. 

Always comes across very well when he’s interviewed on podcasts. He’ll have his hands full as a full time teacher as well as Broncos’ manager and Jamaica manager. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Always comes across very well when he’s interviewed on podcasts. He’ll have his hands full as a full time teacher as well as Broncos’ manager and Jamaica manager. 

As a full time teacher myself and hearing that Jermaine’s attention to detail is ‘meticulous’ something will surely have to give there! Either that or he doesn’t do sleep/family

I presume this is only the start. 

If Broncos are truly going part-time, they will raid Skolars for the best PT players the capital has to offer, leaving Skolars with what? 

I struggle to see how there's room for two part time clubs in London, there just isn't the talent pool to sustain them. 

They need to come to some sort of deal, maybe Skolars running the academy and Broncos being the league club?

5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I presume this is only the start. 

If Broncos are truly going part-time, they will raid Skolars for the best PT players the capital has to offer, leaving Skolars with what? 

I struggle to see how there's room for two part time clubs in London, there just isn't the talent pool to sustain them. 

They need to come to some sort of deal, maybe Skolars running the academy and Broncos being the league club?

Why would Skolars want to become an academy rather than a league one club? And I doubt that many if any of Skolars’ players are good enough for the Broncos. London is massive, there is definitely room for both. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why would Skolars want to become an academy rather than a league one club? And I doubt that many if any of Skolars’ players are good enough for the Broncos. London is massive, there is definitely room for both. 

And more with a population of over 9 million people

Skolars have a few players that could make the step up. Many I assume are happy to play league 1 though as it fits with other commitments. 

Not sure how I feel about the appointment. He was obviously working on a low budget at Skolars but apart from a couple of spells it never felt that they over achieved. Will be interesting to see how he does. He certainly does have connections and a good knowledge of players so good luck to him. 

Oh and I think it would have been nice for the statement to thank Tom Tsang for stepping in this season. 

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wish more Rugby League players would become teachers and accountants and solicitors as surely this would feed back into the game in the long term

In fact he is a deputy headmaster I believe. Both at Hemel and Skolars he is seen as a very good technical coach. Skolars have never quite broken through as a winning team while he has been coach but one has to be realistic about the quantity of quality players available to him. Discipline has been a constant issue which has never been solved 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

Will be interesting to see if his annual coming out of retirement for a couple of games at stand off eventuates at the Broncos too

We tend to play better when he does get in the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It doesn't matter how big London is. It's a question of where are you getting the players from? 

Part time in London means players only from in and around the M25 and the Skolars largely get the best part time players in that area. From now on, anyone good enough to play full time will go up north. 

There isn't a pool of untapped PT players better than the Skolars existing players, so that's as good as Broncos can hope for. 

And before people say "but what about the academy" that takes years to come to fruition, and Broncos need players now. 

Archived