CC Semi finals and Women's CC Final at Elland Road

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If being part of a triple-header was what got the women's CCF a slot on national terrestrial TV, then that is a pragmatic choice to take.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I agree, I’d rather the Women’s Final be a standalone event at Headingley Stadium. Great that Leeds is hosting the Semi Finals though, Leeds really is the home of Rugby League.

why? So no one will go and watch?

46 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The 2021 Women’s Cup Final got 4235 at Headingley, a record attendance for the Women’s game. 

That was the Grand Final and Leeds were in it, a great crowd though.

The Womens CCF has never been played at Headingley.

8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's the biggest stadium in the North, so there aren't really other options.

There are other options for the semis though. It's not really comparable in any way.

On semi-finals wise it depends on what grounds are available Hillsborough is bigger than Elland Road but in an awkward place to get to, Bramall Lane although slightly smaller is well connected transport wise. Riverside at Middlesbrough a decent size but again not well connected. If they are planning to rotate the triple headers I would like to see Sheffield have a chance at hosting. I think the Midlands wouldn't be very productive although you have some decent sized stadiums Villa Park, Leicester, Coventry etc I can't see people travelling en mass to events there. 

8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's the biggest stadium in the North, so there aren't really other options.

There are other options for the semis though. It's not really comparable in any way.

On semi-finals wise it depends on what grounds are available Hillsborough is bigger than Elland Road but in an awkward place to get to, Bramall Lane although slightly smaller is well connected transport wise. Riverside at Middlesbrough a decent size but again not well connected. If they are planning to rotate the triple headers I would like to see Sheffield have a chance at hosting. I think the Midlands wouldn't be very productive although you have some decent sized stadiums Villa Park, Leicester, Coventry etc I can't see people travelling en mass to events there. 

With the move to a 38k stadium in the RL heartlands the RFL appear to have decided to try and build the CCSF into an event and therefore increase the value of the competion.

The immediate challenge is to consistently fill Elland Road and create demand, after which they can look at bigger stadiums and I'll be interested so see what strategy is adopted to sell those 38k tickets.

With 6 teams playing (across 4 to 6 clubs) during May when the weather is generally decent this has the potential to become a one day Magic type event if it is done properly.

Another good positive move by the professional game.

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The 2021 Women’s Cup Final got 4235 at Headingley, a record attendance for the Women’s game. 

Ive seen bigger queues for fuel at Asda.

Over 29,000 attended the recent Barbarian women's game at Twickers recently. 

6 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

With the move to a 38k stadium in the RL heartlands the RFL appear to have decided to try and build the CCSF into an event and therefore increase the value of the competion.

The immediate challenge is to consistently fill Elland Road and create demand, after which they can look at bigger stadiums and I'll be interested so see what strategy is adopted to sell those 38k tickets.

With 6 teams playing (across 4 to 6 clubs) during May when the weather is generally decent this has the potential to become a one day Magic type event if it is done properly.

Another good positive move by the professional game.

Did you say strategy? A complete oxymoron when uttered in the same sentence as selling RL tickets. 

But yes in terms of ambition this is great, driving 5+ hours to watch two games on the outskirts of Bolton has never appealed massively to me, but the first thing I did when I saw this yesterday was pencil 7th May in my diary. 

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

I’d be interested to know how many of those 29k were paying customers, and the Barbarians aren’t a domestic club side, so not a great comparison. 

I just googled ‘rugby union women’s England cup final’ and the first thing that came up was the women’s challenge cup final (hooray) and then stuff about the World Cup, so it doesn’t seem like they have a well supported equivalent. 

7 hours ago, BridBeachRL said:

With respect, the reality is Elland Road is central for RL fans and has a long track record of attracting good crowds whereas Sheffield is out of the way a little - there's no obvious reason to take these games there.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I’d be interested to know how many of those 29k were paying customers, and the Barbarians aren’t a domestic club side, so not a great comparison. 

I just googled ‘rugby union women’s England cup final’ and the first thing that came up was the women’s challenge cup final (hooray) and then stuff about the World Cup, so it doesn’t seem like they have a well supported equivalent. 

Man shall not live by Google alone.

If we want a headline for our women's game, having 4,500 watching a stand alone game is somehow not as attention grabbing as claiming 30,000, whatever tricks and spin the unionists deployed to justify that figure. 

That's why i don't think a stand alone game is a good idea. It might reveal the true level of interest in the sport.

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

No, they turned up to watch the Mens Barbarians vs Samoa (which didn't end up taking place) as part of a double header.

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No, they turned up to watch the Mens Barbarians vs Samoa (which didn't end up taking place) as part of a double header.

The fact is that the history books, the record books, will show what the media have already shown: 30k were there.  It does not matter in the least why they were there.

That is why in my view, the RFL have got it right. This way the women's game will be able to showcase itself to many more people than if it were a stand-alone match. 

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The fact is that the history books, the record books, will show what the media have already shown: 30k were there.  It does not matter in the least why they were there.

That is why in my view, the RFL have got it right. This way the women's game will be able to showcase itself to many more people than if it were a stand-alone match. 

Course they will, just as we would have done for 50k at Anfield for the World Cup game(s) there. 

I agree, at the current time, exposure is the most valuable thing for the World Cup.

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

was that a standalone event... 

when they first started what were the early crowds and di they always do standalone or attach to men's games

10 hours ago, BridBeachRL said:

Would love to see an event in Sheffield. The place definitely needs targeting more.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

52 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Course they will, just as we would have done for 50k at Anfield for the World Cup game(s) there. 

I agree, at the current time, exposure is the most valuable thing for the World Cup.

And for the women's game, too, in my view. Holding a decent crowd hostage and making them watch a women's game sandwiched between two mens games is in my view a good idea.

Archived