Premier Sports

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

What is the source for 51k? Seems a touche unfeasible for a niche subscription channel.

URC generally gets 8k or so, they ahd a peak a few weeks ago around 18k, and sometimes the 9th and 10th show gets 900 viewers. 

Scottish FA Cup recently got 64k.

Id be surprised, but absolutely delighted if we broke 50k, but I suspect it is an overnight number which often comes from different sources. These overnight numbers are never as high when Barb give the number a few weeks later. 

Just now, Dave T said:

URC generally gets 8k or so, they ahd a peak a few weeks ago around 18k, and sometimes the 9th and 10th show gets 900 viewers. 

Scottish FA Cup recently got 64k.

Id be surprised, but absolutely delighted if we broke 50k, but I suspect it is an overnight number which often comes from different sources. These overnight numbers are never as high when Barb give the number a few weeks later. 

Who gives out these 'overnight' numbers?

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Who gives out these 'overnight' numbers?

Hopefully Gav can answer that, but on Barb there are links to other sources. 

I tend to stick to Barb, comparing like for like. Our couple of hundred k viewers on Sky are from Barb. 

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What is the source for 51k? Seems a touche unfeasible for a niche subscription channel.

https://www.totalrl.com/premier-sports-delighted-with-viewing-figures-for-their-opening-game/

Dave T may be right about the lower figures that are subsequently published by BARB, but Premier are clearly very happy with the initial launch.

14 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

https://www.totalrl.com/premier-sports-delighted-with-viewing-figures-for-their-opening-game/

Dave T may be right about the lower figures that are subsequently published by BARB, but Premier are clearly very happy with the initial launch.

Well if it's genuine, that is highly impressive and shows there is good demand for Championship rugby league on TV.

Premier Sports seems on to a winner with the 'pick of the round' format. In some ways it's like the old, pre-saturated football coverage of yore.

26 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

It's not clear whether Barb includes the Premier Player data, which could mean that the figures are way higher than what are on Barb. 

URC seems to peak at 16 to 18k

Scottish football seems to peak at 60-65k

These are the BARB numbers, so it will be good to track against those when published, nothing else comes close to any of those numbers. Great to hear that Premier are happy with it, let's hope it continues!

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's not clear whether Barb includes the Premier Player data, which could mean that the figures are way higher than what are on Barb. 

URC seems to peak at 16 to 18k

Scottish football seems to peak at 60-65k

These are the BARB numbers, so it will be good to track against those when published, nothing else comes close to any of those numbers. Great to hear that Premier are happy with it, let's hope it continues!

What would be particularly interesting to know is how many Premier Sports subscriptions have been taken out in the buildup to the start of the new season. I suspect that they'll keep that information in house.

But as far as I can see, the only sport that is clearly getting higher figures on Premier is Scottish Cup football.

They must have spent a fortune on the United Rugby Championship but I'd love to know how they view its success or otherwise on their channel.

Just watched the highlights on the Premier Sports YouTube channel, really well presented, good commentary and unlike the BBC they don’t assume the viewer is watching their first ever game of rugby league - it frustrates me watching challenge cup on the BBC when every match they explain all the rules.

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

You know when an attendance figure is announced and people like to say the actual attendance is either higher or lower based on absolutely nothing? It’s like that.

No, it isn't, there are different measures. That's what it is. 

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Genuinely Dave I am interested in why, especially as there appears to be such a big difference. 

I touched on one potential difference in my reply to Martyn earlier, it could be that Barb doesn't capture Premier Player viewers or maybe even some providers. It does state these are only included where methodology is consistent. 

There are also often quite different metrics being quoted. This one explicitly states average which is good as often a difference is due to peak and average. There is also the varying methodology about how viewers are counted (how long watched etc). 

The TotalRL article states that this 51k is around half that of Scottish Football, but a quick non-exhaustive search shows Scottish football at around the 65k mark. 

I'm not being cynical about the number, these stats are coming from Premier and a) they sound really strong and b) they seem happy with them, so it all looks good, but I am now interested in how this 51k translates to the Barb numbers. There is a chance they will be the same as they did quote average. If it is published on Barb as 51k though it would be an unbelievable success. Even if that number halves it is an excellent number and hammers most other things. 

It’s great news and it sends the message that non top flight rugby league has market value for a broadcaster.

I must admit I was tempted to subscribe even though I don’t support any of the teams in it this year.

I would point out that there is a listing for a repeat on Freesports (it’s sister station) but they change their listings frequently and with little notice on there.

42 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s great news and it sends the message that non top flight rugby league has market value for a broadcaster.

I must admit I was tempted to subscribe even though I don’t support any of the teams in it this year.

I would point out that there is a listing for a repeat on Freesports (it’s sister station) but they change their listings frequently and with little notice on there.

There is an option for a free month if you are a new customer, banner on this page. 

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

You know when an attendance figure is announced and people like to say the actual attendance is either higher or lower based on absolutely nothing? It’s like that.

I must admit I have been to Forest Green Rovers v Barrow twice in fairly recent years and crudly estimated the attendance by estimating average people per row and times by number of rows and coming up with a few hundred or just over a thousand. 

Then the announcer has come on and excitedly announced todays attendance is twleve thousand, four hundred and fifty, or there abouts. At which point all the Barrow fans fall about laughing.

So it does happen. I've seen it.  Although I can only vouch for lower level soccer. But forest green have a long running planning application for a new ground, so there is a political element to announcing capacity + 20%, rather than half empty, whilst that is still unresolved. 

39 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It didn't appear and I suspect it won't 

Pay the subscription it's worth it

Personally I can't justify another £13 a month for a game a week when in reality I won't watch most weeks. I'll probably pick up a month around Summer Bash, and then around the playoffs. 

6 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Just watched the highlights on the Premier Sports YouTube channel, really well presented, good commentary and unlike the BBC they don’t assume the viewer is watching their first ever game of rugby league - it frustrates me watching challenge cup on the BBC when every match they explain all the rules.

I didn't know they'd uploaded highlights - thanks!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived