Jump to content

Catalans tv deal


Recommended Posts

Reports Catalans have struck a tv deal to have their home games on tv. Mixed emotions about the rumoured deal, it’s brilliant Catalans games will be on tv, but the ideal tv deal would be for all French home games to be on tv with Catalans and Toulouse playing home and away on alternate weeks. I believe it will only be Catalans games that are to shown and not Toulouse. I presume sky sports will also broadcast them in the UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


The Catalan are paying production costs of between 15 to 20000 euros per match and paying for the sky signal for the other away games to be shown in france. Toulouse don't have the budget to pay for their home  game production costs. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

The Catalan are paying production costs of between 15 to 20000 euros per match and paying for the sky signal for the other away games to be shown in france. Toulouse don't have the budget to pay for their home  game production costs. 

Will Catalans make any of the production costs back in anyway, or are they paying this out purely to benefit from the tv exposure? It seems the tv company have got a good deal out of it to broadcast Super League games and have Catalans pay for the production costs. I know a broadcaster previously paid a small fee for the French Super League rights, then Robert Elstone scrapped the deal.

Edited by Sir Kevin Sinfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Will Catalans make any of the production costs back in anyway, or are they paying this out purely to benefit from the tv exposure? It seems the tv company have got a good deal out of it to broadcast Super League games and have Catalans pay for the production costs. I know a broadcaster previously paid a small fee for the French Super League rights, then Robert Elstone scrapped the deal.

Possibly they will hope to get more sponsors on board.

The more i here about Robert Elstone the more I'm happy he's not involved with our game anymore. He must have have cost Rugby League millions and nothing to show for it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Future is League said:

Possibly they will hope to get more sponsors on board.

The more i here about Robert Elstone the more I'm happy he's not involved with our game anymore. He must have have cost Rugby League millions and nothing to show for it.

He took a million pounds out in wages. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

The Catalan are paying production costs of between 15 to 20000 euros per match and paying for the sky signal for the other away games to be shown in france. Toulouse don't have the budget to pay for their home  game production costs. 

Which pretty much sums why it's such an absurd situation that Super League Europe, the entity set up specifically to market the competition's broadcast rights and commercial properties (because they could apparently do so much better than the RFL), has washed its hands of doing that very thing outside of the M62 and delegated it to the two French clubs. 

I mean, why not go the whole hog? Salford can go and negotiate a new deal with Sky, Leeds can find a new competition sponsor, Wakefield can come up with the new website and Wigan can get the pizzas in. 

 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I fail to see much good news in this to be honest. Its just a failing of Super League to sell these matches. Kudos to Catalans for paying for them to be shown and ensuring SL is shown in France but surely we can be doing better than this.

  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Catalans pay the production costs, and then Sky show those games, do Sky actually pay anything for them or do they get 23 games a year for free? because that's not clear. If it's the latter, then that's a ridiculously bad deal.

  • Like 3

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

I fail to see much good news in this to be honest. Its just a failing of Super League to sell these matches. Kudos to Catalans for paying for them to be shown and ensuring SL is shown in France but surely we can be doing better than this.

It’s good French Super League games will be on tv in France, and probably also on in the UK via Sky. It’s bad Catalans are having to pay the production costs for it to happen, when there was previously a paid tv deal in place.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s good French Super League games will be on tv in France, and probably also on in the UK via Sky. It’s bad Catalans are having to pay the production costs for it to happen, when there was previously a paid tv deal in place.

Was there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Was there?

Yes, if you include the production costs of 13x€20,000 and add the €70,000 fee they were paying €330,000 a year. Now Catalans are paying the production costs of 13x€20,000 the sport is €590,000 a year worse off from the French tv deal alone.

beIN Sports “quickly informed” Super League officials that it would be unwilling to negotiate a new rights deal after the broadcaster had been told that the competition’s chief executive, Robert Elstone, is seeking a significant increase in the rights fee.

The newspaper added that beIN Sports, which has offered Super League coverage since 2012, paid “up to €70,000 ($78,500) per season” for the rights and also covered production costs of approximately €20,000 per Catalans Dragons home game.

Elstone, who was reported to have been “astonished” by the decision by beIN Sports

https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/bein-sports-turns-back-on-super-league/

Edited by Sir Kevin Sinfield
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Yes, if you include the production costs of 13x€20,000 and add the €70,000 fee they were paying €330,000 a year. Now Catalans are paying the production costs of 13x€20,000 the sport is €590,000 a year worse off from the French tv deal alone.

You can't double count production costs like that. You could certainly argue the sport (more so Catalans) is €330,000 a year worse off though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Which pretty much sums why it's such an absurd situation that Super League Europe, the entity set up specifically to market the competition's broadcast rights and commercial properties (because they could apparently do so much better than the RFL), has washed its hands of doing that very thing outside of the M62 and delegated it to the two French clubs. 

I mean, why not go the whole hog? Salford can go and negotiate a new deal with Sky, Leeds can find a new competition sponsor, Wakefield can come up with the new website and Wigan can get the pizzas in. 

 

Could be some merit in clubs regaining control of the rights to their home games 🤷‍♂️ it looks like collective bargaining encourages free loaders. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Yes, if you include the production costs of 13x€20,000 and add the €70,000 fee they were paying €330,000 a year. Now Catalans are paying the production costs of 13x€20,000 the sport is €590,000 a year worse off from the French tv deal alone.

beIN Sports “quickly informed” Super League officials that it would be unwilling to negotiate a new rights deal after the broadcaster had been told that the competition’s chief executive, Robert Elstone, is seeking a significant increase in the rights fee.

The newspaper added that beIN Sports, which has offered Super League coverage since 2012, paid “up to €70,000 ($78,500) per season” for the rights and also covered production costs of approximately €20,000 per Catalans Dragons home game.

Elstone, who was reported to have been “astonished” by the decision by beIN Sports

https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/bein-sports-turns-back-on-super-league/

Elstone is an absolute muppet. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I suppose overall its good as we get the Catalan Saturdays back fortnightly on SKY

Can't help thinking though that if it were pay per view in UK then lots of us would shell out for it. I'd have thought the away team fans would buy it plus neutrals 

Yes indeed. Catalans should be putting these games on our league at a tenner a buy in or giving them to Channel 4 not subscription TV, trading off for the Sports exposure. So Catalans must be getting something in return from Sky. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Yes indeed. Catalans should be putting these games on our league at a tenner a buy in or giving them to Channel 4 not subscription TV, trading off for the Sports exposure. So Catalans must be getting something in return from Sky. 

Yep....how many buys would it get at a tenner? Maybe 7/8000?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep....how many buys would it get at a tenner? Maybe 7/8000?

Since the quality of the Catalans squad is high at the moment and there is no other RL on telly yes those numbers would be reached. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Elstone is an absolute muppet. 

Her did alot of long term damage in a short period of time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Elstone was a disaster as was the breakaway it just meant we got picked off.  Regardless if we want a proper paid tv deal we need to lock the French teams in.  It is that simple. 

They are locked in........to a 3 Division system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...