Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, AB Knight said:

6497 at Cas-Wigan. Disappointing crowd in my opinion.

Aye, it is a bit but not massively so - and it looked good on the TV.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, paul hicks said:

imagine if one of the criteria for super league was crowd averages over say a 5 year period 

Then the Championship clubs would need to hope they can score higher on the remaining criteria?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Were you there? (genuine question)

Yes (genuine answer).

Edit: I can give more detail. I am a rugby league nut and huge expansionist. Because of the Jubilee, I had a weekend off u14s, u16s, u18s and open age and off I went to Toulouse - my one chance in 2022 when all the stars were perfectly aligned. I love Toulouse, France, rugby league and my family and all were present.

I would have said there was about 1.5k in a 19.5k stadium. Sat with my lad in a Catalans shirt, me in a PNG polo shirt and two moaning old buggers from Leeds, I enjoyed it. But there wasn't a crowd in.

Edited by Archie Gordon

On 04/06/2022 at 18:16, AB Knight said:

6497 at Cas-Wigan. Disappointing crowd in my opinion.

There was a lot of competition this weekend. All added together, I reckon this could explain the numbers.

1. It was on free-to-air. This tends to reduce the number of paying spectators. Why pay when you can see the game for nothing?

2. Channel 4 has rated highly for its coverage, which strengthens point 1 above.

3. I think also that as it was the end of half term for many schools, people could well have still been away on breaks, not returning until today.

4. It's Platinum Jubilee Weekend and only the most curmudgeonly of fans would deny that this was a higher priority for most people.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Yes (genuine answer).

Edit: I can give more detail. I am a rugby league nut and huge expansionist. Because of the Jubilee, I had a weekend off u14s, u16s, u18s and open age and off I went to Toulouse - my one chance in 2022 when all the stars were perfectly aligned. I love Toulouse, France, rugby league and my family and all were present.

I would have said there was about 1.5k in a 19.5k stadium. Sat with my lad in a Catalans shirt, me in a PNG polo shirt and two moaning old buggers from Leeds, I enjoyed it. But there wasn't a crowd in.

That sounds like the hardcore we used to see at the Championship games when we visited , unless they are competitive from the start this is the problem we suggested would happen , unfortunately it looks like they might need more than one go at it 

Just under 3200 at Leigh today , with a healthy following from Fax 

Slowly getting back to where we were pre pandemic , be interesting to see what we get next Monday against Fev 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That sounds like the hardcore we used to see at the Championship games when we visited , unless they are competitive from the start this is the problem we suggested would happen , unfortunately it looks like they might need more than one go at it 

Sensible people suggested it would happen. Some on this forum seemed to think Toulouse would straight away get 8-10k and actually sell out the Catalans game 🙄 

21 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Then the Championship clubs would need to hope they can score higher on the remaining criteria?

indeed i suppose both title challengers in the championship this season would score more on ground facilities than some super league clubs

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

They would sell out the Catalan game if the idiots hadnt put it on a thursday night. Also great that people could predict french government policy banning Toulouse from making arrival in SL an event due to leglislation.

Make your product as ###### as possible (make them pay travel so couple hundred grand out of the budget, take game on Thursday) then whinge it doesn´t work. The RL way. 

KR looked like season exploding but back in the playoff hunt at least should hold crowds up. 

They wouldn’t sell it out at any time, absolutely nowhere near. Playing on a Thursday was an absurd decision I agree, but let’s not get carried away about how big the gate would have been on a weekend. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

They wouldn’t sell it out at any time, absolutely nowhere near. Playing on a Thursday was an absurd decision I agree, but let’s not get carried away about how big the gate would have been on a weekend. 

I agree with the point of your post, people make all sorts of outlandish claims and then make excuses when they don't happen. 

But on Toulouse particularly, we have a decent history of good crowds in Toulouse. Over 12k for France v NZ 13 years ago, when Cayalans took a game there v Hull KR they got 12k apparently, and Catalans have also delivered huge crowds in Barcelona and Montpellier so there is no reason to believe that a big Derby between Toulouse and Catalans wouldn't deliver a very big crowd. 

But Toulouse have been rubbish and lost all momentum, which is a far bigger issue than Thursday night. 

• Like 1