Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

I think the crowds you speak of were in the middle of a real boom for us. There were averages of less than 10,000 twice in the three years prior to moving to the DW in late 1999 (it went as low as 8,800 in 1997) and it took until 2004 before we averaged above 11,500.

It was a funny quirk that it took us hitting rock bottom on the field in 2005 and 2006 for people to galvanise behind the club and the averages jumped up above 14,000 and kept going up until 2011 when they peaked at just over 16,000.  Those crowds were built on good marketing but also a bit of a perfect storm of hitting rock bottom, fighting back and building slowly but with a real peak of Maguire taking over and fans starved of success loving how we were playing. 

They’ve declined gradually since then but I wouldn’t use that 15k mark as a realistic mark of what is a success for us. The great Wigan sides of the late 80’s to mid 90’s never averaged above 15,000 and that says a lot. I think success for us is to get the averages back up to 13,000-14,000. We’re a way off that at the minute but if we can keep playing some good stuff it’s achievable.

In the short term we really should sort the positioning of the away fans out and make the place feel more atmospheric. 

Tbf with the size of the town, the mammoth football clubs all very close, plus Wigan Athletic, getting the current crowds is impressive. Warrington and Saints at least aren’t competing with a football club in the same stadium. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Tbf with the size of the town, the mammoth football clubs all very close, plus Wigan Athletic, getting the current crowds is impressive. Warrington and Saints at least aren’t competing with a football club in the same stadium. 

Well, we’re certainly not a problem for the league as such but we’ve done better and will do again with any luck. We just need to get through these next three Thursday night matches, likely to be played in poor-ish weather and then hopefully build them up as things improve and we play Fridays or Sundays. The side carrying on building on this attacking start should help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Sale Rugby Union do ok at the AJ Bell Stadium and Salford FC obviously think it’ll be a success there as they are looking to take over the stadium. Salford Reds blaming the stadium is a poor excuse.

Moor Lane is not suitable for Super League. If Salford want to be a Championship club fair enough move to Moor Lane, if they want to stay in Super League it is not suitable.

The stadium is a problem and is notoriously difficult to get to. Sale basically average 6,000 which is a lot less than they have done elsewhere.

That's not to say Moor Lane is the answer.

52 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Exactly Dave. Thank you. It’s just a shame that Shropshire Bull and SKS have this vendetta against Salford.

58 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

How have Salford been ‘protected’ from a ‘genuine relegation fight’?

Toronto withdrew 2020 and 2021 Leigh got half the money with decision on 12th team not made till December.  There is no vendetta.

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Toronto withdrew 2020 and 2021 Leigh got half the money with decision on 12th team not made till December.  There is no vendetta.

Were they in more of a relegation fight than Wakey, Cas, HKR, Leeds, Huddersfield etc then, in your opinion? Why pick on Salford, none of those other teams I’ve mentioned have been in a GF in the last 3 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

How on earth does that protect Salford? 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Were they in more of a relegation fight than Wakey, Cas, HKR, Leeds, Huddersfield etc then, in your opinion? Why pick on Salford, none of those other teams I’ve mentioned have been in a GF in the last 3 seasons. 

According to Shropshire Bull, Salford only got to Wembley because it was a ‘bastardised covid Cup competition’. I think we can all draw our own conclusions from that comment of his.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

How on earth does that protect Salford? 

You were either incapable of seeing that being prevented from being relegated in 2020 and kneecapping the promoted team in 2021 didnt protect Salford I cant help you. 

The Challenge Cup was bastardised in 2020 as teams withdrew and Salford were originally drawn against St Helens.  

If you want to believe that someone from Shropshire now living in Madrid holds some deep seated agenda against Salford I cant help you.  I'm going to ignore you and watch Dewsbury vs Widnes now. 

4 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

According to Shropshire Bull, Salford only got to Wembley because it was a ‘bastardised covid Cup competition’. I think we can all draw our own conclusions from that comment of his.

How about the Grand Final, there must be some obscure reason for that happening too. 

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

You were either incapable of seeing that being prevented from being relegated in 2020 and kneecapping the promoted team in 2021 didnt protect Salford I cant help you. 

The Challenge Cup was bastardised in 2020 as teams withdrew and Salford were originally drawn against St Helens.  

If you want to believe that someone from Shropshire now living in Madrid holds some deep seated agenda against Salford I cant help you.  I'm going to ignore you and watch Dewsbury vs Widnes now. 

Just about says it all really. I don’t want, or need your help thanks very much.

I was thinking about the whole Salford at Moor Lane thing, and I remembered another example where the logic of transferring a big crowd into a small stadium came undone (the first being the Ashes tests in 2001). 

In 2004, Wigan got Wire in the Challenge Cup semi-finals. There had been some concern around empty-seats at semi-finals and they controversially decided to host it at the smaller capacity of Widnes to guarantee a sellout. Well they didn't get one, and ended up with around 11,000 for two teams that averaged 23,000 between them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Are you sure, do you have access to their finances? If they have some money to spend they’re better off improving a ground that they can call their own and is in a better location than spending it on rent. 

But Salford won’t own Moor Lane and they won’t expand and develop the stadium, they are simply misleading their supporters if they are saying they have such plans 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’m certain that they would love to get 7-8k every game at the AJ Bell. How do you suggest they do that? 

Not moving to a tin pot stadium made of bolted together isofreights would be a start.

59 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Only another few hundred to go & you’ll have the whole forum on ignore.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I did indeed call Wigan a problem child, I guess that came from them being in the 15k average when I started watching League as a kid early 2000´s (back when I hated Bradford as it turns out, now it´s just sympathy). My fear for Wigan is that it reaches a tipping point where the amount of empty spaces disincentivises people to go.

Wigan weren't getting average attendances of 15k in the early 2000s though. Attendances were much the same then as they were in the last season before Covid struck.

Edited by Damien

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Anything more constructive than that? 

I’m not party to their marketing plans or their community work or how they are engaging with the amateur game in the area so can’t really comment but I’m not the one advocating they move to a non league football ground with very little in the way of facilities as their golden ticket to future prosperity.

The AJ Bell was a bad move. Cheap ground built on Brownsite nowhere near Salford Really. Its like Leigh moving their ground to Westhoughton on a one road in, one road out basis.

Saying that, 4000 for a game with no away fans and crappy weather tells me they are up for it and good on them, but they should have stuck to their guns and stayed in the City. Moor Lane is only 50% of the answer, but if the ground cannot be developed to at least 8k capacity, I don't see the point in moving.

I used to love going to the Willows watching Leigh play, win lose or draw, but Salford will play some good stuff this year under Paul. Would not surprise me if they shuffle the top 8.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JonM said:

Monday nights seem to be working out for the Championship clubs in terms of attendances. Over 2500 for Dewsbury v Widnes, if I heard correctly.

It seems to be something similar as happened when Sky showed Championship games a few years back and people would turn out because it was their chance on TV.

13 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It seems to be something similar as happened when Sky showed Championship games a few years back and people would turn out because it was their chance on TV.

Yes, I doubt Dewsbury features on national TV all that often. Widnes being top of the league probably means we take a few hundred more than a couple of years ago.

Still, most people there last night were home fans and the Rams deserve some credit for the work they did to promote the game as an event.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Yes, I doubt Dewsbury features on national TV all that often. Widnes being top of the league probably means we take a few hundred more than a couple of years ago.

Still, most people there last night were home fans and the Rams deserve some credit for the work they did to promote the game as an event.

Definitely, it was a slight shame that most of the crowd seemed to be in darkness but it was a nice tidy ground with a very decent sounding atmosphere.

11 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

But Salford won’t own Moor Lane and they won’t expand and develop the stadium, they are simply misleading their supporters if they are saying they have such plans 

Yes. The history of RL ground development, means that one should be very sceptical whenever anybody claims that they will definitely upgrade and improve a stadium. Just ask Wakey and Cas what that looks like.

If there is one upside the the whole AJ Bell thing, is that it was originally going to be a 20,000 stadium. 

13 hours ago, Damien said:

Wigan weren't getting average attendances of 15k in the early 2000s though. Attendances were much the same then as they were in the last season before Covid struck.

Depends on early ish 06-14 Wigan average not below 14k.  Last 2 pre covid years lowest since 2003. 

Just think getting FTA coverage with a audience that skews to a young demo will be huge in building the next generation fanbase for alot of teams.