Sat 7th-Sun 8th May: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Back in the day Hemel Stags played in the NCL, and competed really well v Fev Lions, Underbank, Kippax n Bramley, which I dare say could beat most of the lower league 1 teams, but they had aussie players no visa restrictions this is what the southern teams need a helping hand, but emigration rules will not allow it.

12 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

It's the eternal conundrum - go with more 'local' players and risk getting pumped (which seems to be what WWR and Skolars are having to do), or go with a team made up predominantly of northerners in order to be competitive at the expense of developing local talent (which seems to be what Midlands are doing). Cornwall started the season trumpeting that they were going to do the former and play loads of Cornish players, but as the weeks have gone on, they have pulled in more and more loan players in order to become more competitive, so may now be opting for the latter strategy. Neil Kelly's comments last week about the local players would seem to suggest that he thinks a lot of them aren't really up to it. I don't believe either strategy is likely to be effective at developing the game in those areas. IMO what is needed is a vibrant grass roots game in those areas with multiple community clubs underpinning the pro team and guaranteeing a stream of players. A pro club should be the icing on the cake but, in the cases of these League 1 clubs, the lack of a healthy community competition means there isn't really a cake to ice.

I think expecting someone to invest in the community game outside heartlands without potential of pro club is tough. Especially if your team then Just gets pumped.  

In an ideal world yes but the world we live in I think mine could realistically work. 

Just got back in from Doncaster on what was a superb display from North Wales Crusaders. When there were any errors they got back as a team and defended like Trojans. Some great attacking play too.

I too was expecting a close result and was delighted to come away with 46 point, no injuries and be top of the league with 7 wins from 7 games.

Looking forward to our friends from Oldham coming to visit Eirias Park next weekend.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gogledd said:

Just got back in from Doncaster on what was a superb display from North Wales Crusaders. When there were any errors they got back as a team and defended like Trojans. Some great attacking play too.

I too was expecting a close result and was delighted to come away with 46 point, no injuries and be top of the league with 7 wins from 7 games.

Looking forward to our friends from Oldham coming to visit Eirias Park next weekend.

Can you explain what is going on.  Pumping doncaster and 7 straight wins.  Awesome stuff. 

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Can you explain what is going on.  Pumping doncaster and 7 straight wins.  Awesome stuff. 

Sshhh....don't tell Warrington, but it may be our year!! 😉

• Like 1

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

21 hours ago, iamguyster said:

C'mon fella. No need to be salty. Your lads won and WWR looked more competitive. Isn't that what everyone wants from them? It seems like you do.

By the way, I got the impression of the 80+ from every post in this thread; someone even predicted 100. No WWR player suggested that. 

I think there's something to be said for magnanimity in victory, rather than lashing out at the ref and the score board. 🤷‍♂️

League Express - ' The match was refereed by Welshman James Jones,part of a history making bunch of officials.For the first time ever in a RFL league match all 5 were from Wales,the referee,two touch judges,reserve official and interchange official."

Surprisingly,despite Keighley Cougars improving massively discipline wise,this year,and in recent games in particular, the penalty count was hugely against them.

I can just imagine if St Helens were in a game refereed by Hicks,his 2 brothers touch judges,father -in- law reserve referee and uncle interchange official.

I'll steer clear of skin pigmentation. 

Why couldn't the history making be last week at the Welsh derby?

Get me out of League 1.The Jekyll and Hyde league where anything goes, and no one cares.A League of doomed experiments.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

18 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

It seems our end of season form continues from last year..... and the new players being introduced are buying into coach Anthony Murrays game plan.

We've not looked at our best in all games but have still managed to hold out and win....but when everything clicks, its a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gogledd said:

It seems our end of season form continues from last year..... and the new players being introduced are buying into coach Anthony Murrays game plan.

We've not looked at our best in all games but have still managed to hold out and win....but when everything clicks, its a thing of beauty.

That Keighley game looks like it will be fantastic. Hope the form stays good so you get some decent crowds in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1