Jump to content

Match thread: 1895 Cup Final. Featherstone Rovers v Leigh. Saturday 28th May 2022.


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I wasn't remotely surprised at today's performance or result. Leigh are a class above and could never understand some opinions that we were their equals. Fev are a very good championship side as proven but Leigh are much more superior. We rarely troubled their try line and did well to contain the score against us. Some of our talented players went missing today because the opposition were quicker and more talented. We've dished out some beatings and so when we get beaten you've got to take it on the nose. Well done Leigh best team by far. Up the Rovers and we go again.

Beaten by a very well drilled, and fit leigh side. Look to me like leigh are heading straight back to sl. What a handful ipape is. I don't think by throwing even more money at more players is the answer. Maybe quality instead of quantity is the answer.  Full time rugby showed massively today, but having said that it still doesn't meant it will be a fev  v  leigh million pound game that some people are expecting, cos some teams just below them in the league are starting to hit some good form, and I think there is going to be some more twists and turns before the fat lady sings.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


We signed Tyler Hepi someone with some go forward and aggression yet McDermott played Cooper who’s not good enough tries his best but far too small for a prop and good knows how Ferres gets in the team .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Gareth hock said:

We signed Tyler Hepi someone with some go forward and aggression yet McDermott played Cooper who’s not good enough tries his best but far too small for a prop and good knows how Ferres gets in the team .

I'd agree Cooper, does his best but not good enough, and Ferres, only good at giving penalties away. It's a puzzle to me why Hepi didn't get a game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dog forever said:

Beaten by a very well drilled, and fit leigh side. Look to me like leigh are heading straight back to sl. What a handful ipape is. I don't think by throwing even more money at more players is the answer. Maybe quality instead of quantity is the answer.  Full time rugby showed massively today, but having said that it still doesn't meant it will be a fev  v  leigh million pound game that some people are expecting, cos some teams just below them in the league are starting to hit some good form, and I think there is going to be some more twists and turns before the fat lady sings.

It will be Fev v Leigh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need to get back of the horse for Thursday at Newcastle , forget the below par performance. Its gone .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chin up. Fev are a great side and made too many mistakes today but up the guts rugby against a big mobile pack is exactly what SL is about. Leigh are drilled for tomorrow but I am not convinced as Fev carved us up a good few times. 

If we had two decent halves, God knows how good we could be. 

Fev a bit too negative today, and Leigh not great either, but great entertainment and great game. Let's hope the rumours are true and both go up irrespective of GF. 👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

   Agree with most posts about us being outplayed down the middle.Leigh forwards were quicker in attack and defence against our older ones.Our forwards did try but were worn down soon after half time.Forget the last try conceded K couldnt do owt else about a minute on the clock we have to kick it back to Leigh if he puts it dead.Inu outjumped Briscoe which is no surprise .His second try from the long pass i felt for Hall he had three players to mark.Reynolds try was poor defence we made him look good he easily went between Wildie and Jesse.Overall i thought our backs did ok.But the half backs didn't produce enough openings although it is more difficult behind a beaten pack.It's a two match season for us if we finish in the top two so lets see if Mac can find a solution.Still think as i have posted before last season was our best chance of promotion.

Edited by sentoffagain2
mixed Ferguson up with Inu Opposite wing.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Phil Briscoe said:

Ye best team won by a mile today. They could have scored more. Their pack completely smashed ours. Too big, strong and quick. It reminded me a bit of when we play the lower teams and our forwards make yards at will. 

To be fair you should have scored more than 16 points. A combo of desperate scrambling defence and you passing to a Leigh player (in the 2nd half) prevented this. 2 games played between us both, and (probably) 3 to go.

Edited by clogdance
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, clogdance said:

To be fair you should have scored more than 16 points. A combo of desperate scrambling defence and you passing to a Leigh player (in the 2nd half) prevented this. 2 games played between us both, and (probably) 3 to go.

IF and its a huge IF we did manage to get to SL we will need a massive turn around of players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

IF and its a huge IF we did manage to get to SL we will need a massive turn around of players.

You've already had a massive turn around of players🤔

And if you get into SL you'll need another turn around of players 🤔 

Featherstone are doing it wrong 

Leigh are building a team

Featherstone are trying to buy one

One of your stand out players took me 60 minutes to realise he was on the field, Davis week in week out runs his heart out every game.. Not yesterday along with a few more, Ferris is done, a lot of featherstone players hid in the shadows yesterday🤔

Maybe they realise "do we want super league?" 

Because a lot of them on yesterday's show will be out of a job and moved on. 

It's not the end of the world losing 1 game.. Just a lesson of where you need to be and in the big picture might do you the world of good 

We shall see 🤔

#bluewall.. Unfortunately made of tissue paper yesterday 🤔

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, coolie said:

You've already had a massive turn around of players🤔

And if you get into SL you'll need another turn around of players 🤔 

Featherstone are doing it wrong 

Leigh are building a team

Featherstone are trying to buy one

One of your stand out players took me 60 minutes to realise he was on the field, Davis week in week out runs his heart out every game.. Not yesterday along with a few more, Ferris is done, a lot of featherstone players hid in the shadows yesterday🤔

Maybe they realise "do we want super league?" 

Because a lot of them on yesterday's show will be out of a job and moved on. 

It's not the end of the world losing 1 game.. Just a lesson of where you need to be and in the big picture might do you the world of good 

We shall see 🤔

#bluewall.. Unfortunately made of tissue paper yesterday 🤔

You've just said what i said lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Dog forever said:

Beaten by a very well drilled, and fit leigh side. Look to me like leigh are heading straight back to sl. What a handful ipape is. I don't think by throwing even more money at more players is the answer. Maybe quality instead of quantity is the answer.  Full time rugby showed massively today, but having said that it still doesn't meant it will be a fev  v  leigh million pound game that some people are expecting, cos some teams just below them in the league are starting to hit some good form, and I think there is going to be some more twists and turns before the fat lady sings.

It's the media and other clubs supporters that are assuming it's a two horse race not especially the fans of Fev. There are talented championship teams still in the equation. Anyone of Halifax Batley York Sheffield or even Bradford can upset the applecart come end of the season. But what I have seen since our win over Leigh at Post Office Road it will take some upset to overturn their team again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, coolie said:

You've already had a massive turn around of players🤔

And if you get into SL you'll need another turn around of players 🤔 

Featherstone are doing it wrong 

Leigh are building a team

Featherstone are trying to buy one

One of your stand out players took me 60 minutes to realise he was on the field, Davis week in week out runs his heart out every game.. Not yesterday along with a few more, Ferris is done, a lot of featherstone players hid in the shadows yesterday🤔

Maybe they realise "do we want super league?" 

Because a lot of them on yesterday's show will be out of a job and moved on. 

It's not the end of the world losing 1 game.. Just a lesson of where you need to be and in the big picture might do you the world of good 

We shall see 🤔

#bluewall.. Unfortunately made of tissue paper yesterday 🤔

In the main you have to worry what is happening at your club Coolie. Don't get sidetracked😂😂😂😂

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Haven't Leigh just bought a team you 🤡,  they had no players at the beginning of the season. 

2nd half Leigh were allowed to dictate the ruck speed by the ref.  Slowing us down while we cleared it, this allowed their go forward and runs from dummy half.  1st half the ref allowed an even ruck.  We panicked yesterday played very poorly but if Halls goal had gone over we were still only 6 points behind going into the fnlal 10.  We can only I'm prove, can Leigh? Brian was intimating this pre match. 

Edited by lingaro
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'll put one more thing out there to consider.  When the teams lined up for the meet and great, Leigh stood focused and in line.  Featherstone on the other hand were turning round,  waving to family and looking like it was a grand day out.  Very different focus form last season.  Makes you wonder how seriously we took this final. 

I said to the kids that this didn't look good and they weren't focused. 

Edited by lingaro
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

In the main you have to worry what is happening at your club Coolie. Don't get sidetracked😂😂😂😂

Our club is sleepwalking into relegation, everything that could go wrong is, injuries have crippled us, we get a player in to help improve the team.. Within 2 weeks they're injured and out.. Long term

I know fev fans have not experienced many relegation season

But what happens is at every turn it goes wrong, this season for us is one of them season's unfortunately 

So what's going on at featherstone is a nice distraction thankfully🤣🤣

You'll be fine mate👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've had plenty of relegation ups and downs but from the old 1st and 2nd divisions we were classed as the toto club and that's why Maurice Lindsay wanted us out for good.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, lingaro said:

Haven't Leigh just bought a team you 🤡,  they had no players at the beginning of the season. 

2nd half Leigh were allowed to dictate the ruck speed by the ref.  Slowing us down while we cleared it, this allowed their go forward and runs from dummy half.  1st half the ref allowed an even ruck.  We panicked yesterday played very poorly but if Halls goal had gone over we were still only 6 points behind going into the fnlal 10.  We can only I'm prove, can Leigh? Brian was intimating this pre match. 

Leigh have bought players to fit Lam's ideology.. And it's working

Big mac has simple brought in players who was available 

As seen with the 2 toulouse lads, Hepi 

You've players of a good standard in them positions already 

It only creates division in the team 

How must pickersgill feel signs for fev does nothing wrong and now can't get a game because you've signed another player in that postion

Think the 🤡 emoji should be directed at your coach

He's got far too many toys in his box

Edited by coolie
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't yoou think lam has signed players that are available.  Brian had players that were not his. Remember he only took over preseason the majority of the side is not his.  I can't see the difference here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

   I take a couple of positives from our defeat.We didn't lose any League points.Leigh played well as they did at Batley but despite us making a few mistakes well in it up to half time.When we offloaded in the tackle and threw the ball about we caused them problems.We will be better with Jones at 9 as he scoots from dummy half and backs up a break well.Ford may or may not make a difference when playing at 6 although i thought our backs were ok.Mac has three important games coming up we need to regroup and just win against Newcastle and Bradford then the biggest match of the season so far Leigh away on the Monday night.If Mac can perform a minor miracle and can get a win in that game we will be back in the driving seat for top spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, J Phil Loxton said:

It's the media and other clubs supporters that are assuming it's a two horse race not especially the fans of Fev. There are talented championship teams still in the equation. Anyone of Halifax Batley York Sheffield or even Bradford can upset the applecart come end of the season. But what I have seen since our win over Leigh at Post Office Road it will take some upset to overturn their team again.

Got to agree with you on that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, lingaro said:

Don't yoou think lam has signed players that are available.  Brian had players that were not his. Remember he only took over preseason the majority of the side is not his.  I can't see the difference here. 

You've 2 on route from Oz from what I've heard 

Will they make a difference 

Who knows🤔

Just means 2 established players in the team will be ousted🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest we can replace Ferris and Cuthbertson was only a stop gap.  Always the plan to change players and grow a team for the last few games of the season 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, coolie said:

Leigh have bought players to fit Lam's ideology.. And it's working

Big mac has simple brought in players who was available 

As seen with the 2 toulouse lads, Hepi 

You've players of a good standard in them positions already 

It only creates division in the team 

How must pickersgill feel signs for fev does nothing wrong and now can't get a game because you've signed another player in that postion

Think the 🤡 emoji should be directed at your coach

He's got far too many toys in his box

This is just clueless.

1) The stuff about "Lam's ideology" is absolute garbage. They have a near-bottomless pit of money and are throwing it at whoever they can. They haven't signed Blake Ferguson because he "fits with Lam's ideology" - he spent several weeks in prison because of cocaine possession charges earlier this year, and was regarded as untouchable by NRL clubs because of his character. They've signed him because he's still a massively talented player.

2) Kheirallah was arguably the best players on the field on either team yesterday apart from Ipape, and although most of us thought Pickersgill had gone well for us, you'd be hard pressed to argue that Kheirallah isn't a much better player.

There's no difference between Ferguson replacing Keanan Brand, who has been very good all year, and Kheirallah replacing Pickersgill, except Leigh won yesterday. That's it. Leigh have replaced Nisbet/Dixon with Inu, they've replaced Jacob Jones with Kai O'Donnell, because they're better players. By Coolie logic that should have "only created division within the team" but it doesn't work like that.

And btw your comments about "Leigh are building a team", that may be so but 10 of their 17 yesterday are overseas players with another two or three in their squad so they'll face just as much of a rebuild if they get to SL as Fev would.

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...