International: Brazil 0-82 South Africa

The South Americans vastly outclassed by a South African team made up of plenty of players playing in higher-standard competitions. Ex-Gold Coast Titan Shane Gillham leading the charge through the middle. Kam Cryer who’s had plenty of NRL reserve grade experience playing in the 7.

Plenty of highlights on this Twitter page:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

That will be enough for someone to suggest a SL team for Pretoria😊

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Don't just go throwing around suggestions like that! Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we all saw what happened in Toronto. SL team in Pretoria? Are you mad? Let's just start with a League 1 team in Bloemfontein and then after they've existed for just a year we can entertain the notion of a team in Pretoria and hosting the 2029 world cup in South Africa. Jeez! Some people really do get ahead of themselves... 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

That will be enough for someone to suggest a SL team for Pretoria😊

And also enough for someone else to suggest that international expansion is dead and a waste of resources.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Don't just go throwing around suggestions like that! Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we all saw what happened in Toronto. SL team in Pretoria? Are you mad? Let's just start with a League 1 team in Bloemfontein and then after they've existed for just a year we can entertain the notion of a team in Pretoria and hosting the 2029 world cup in South Africa. Jeez! Some people really do get ahead of themselves... 😉

As long as they pay all travel expenses, I can't see why not. When reaching SL, central funding will of course not be available either, but we won't mention that until they finally make it there. 

• Like 4

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

11 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

The South Americans vastly outclassed by a South African team made up of plenty of players playing in higher-standard competitions. Ex-Gold Coast Titan Shane Gillham leading the charge through the middle. Kam Cryer who’s had plenty of NRL reserve grade experience playing in the 7.

Plenty of highlights on this Twitter page:

Good to see more internationals being played. Does the South Africa national team have any competitions it enters? (I see that Brazil are in the South America Championships).

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Was this a proper international test match or another one these exhibition games in Australia with ex-pats

Apparently 14 of Brazil's 19 players are native Brazilians who took up the game in Brazil.

Jason ‘Costo’ Costigan ❤️����'s Photo

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Was this a proper international test match or another one these exhibition games in Australia with ex-pats

Ah, rugby league fans moaning that rugby league games are being played. Never change, rugby league. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Don`t laugh, I heard the head of South African union saying the other day it is unlikely they`ll ever host another union WC again because they don`t have the money or the stadiums.

Strikes me that it may be an opportunity for that other ` Rugby  ` code to get under their guard and host our own tournament there in the WC starved ` rugby  ` nation.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Don`t laugh, I heard the head of South African union saying the other day it is unlikely they`ll ever host another union WC again because they don`t have the money or the stadiums.

Strikes me that it may be an opportunity for that other ` Rugby  ` code to get under their guard and host our own tournament there in the WC starved ` rugby  ` nation.

Now, you said not to laugh but that is funny.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

They hosted the 2010 Football World Cup, I'm sure they could host the RU version.

30 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Ah, rugby league fans moaning that rugby league games are being played. Never change, rugby league. 

There is a serious point though here. As long as we just keep getting a few Aussies to play in Sydney we avoid the real development of international fixtures, but pat ourselves on the back that these nations are real RL nations. 

We risk doing the same here with Jamaica. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

There is a serious point though here. As long as we just keep getting a few Aussies to play in Sydney we avoid the real development of international fixtures, but pat ourselves on the back that these nations are real RL nations. 

It certainly is a valid point. If as Big Picture says 14 of the 19 Brazil players took up the game in Brazil then that has a lot more credibility, despite the scoreline, than a team made up of loads of ex pats or people with tenuous links to South Africa.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There’s rugby league played in Brazil, it can’t be easy to get truer international games played when the sport is in its infancy and finances are, likely, small. This was a predominantly Brazilian born side, so I can’t see much to whinge about, in all honesty. 

If people want to play as Brazil in Sydney or Sunderland, I don’t think it’s a bad thing when the game is still so new to Brazil itself. 

The very makeup of most international rugby league is players playing for nations through ancestry, we have a whole competition of it in October and November, I don’t get why we’re so critical of it when it’s countries in their early stages of playing the game. 

Edited by Jughead
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

We shouldn't laugh but it's funny so let's! 😂

26 minutes ago, Jughead said:

There’s rugby league played in Brazil, it can’t be easy to get truer international games played when the sport is in its infancy and finances are, likely, small. This was a predominantly Brazilian born side, so I can’t see much to whinge about, in all honesty. 

If people want to play as Brazil in Sydney or Sunderland, I don’t think it’s a bad thing when the game is still so new to Brazil itself. 

The very makeup of most international rugby league is players playing for nations through ancestry, we have a whole competition of it in October and November, I don’t get why we’re so critical of it when it’s countries in their early stages of playing the game. 

I'm supportive of heritage players being used, but I think we need to be playing tests in home nations as part of growing the game there. We are taking too many shortcuts by just playing some random games in Sydney. 

I can't really find details of the test anywhere, so are this Brazil squad touring from there to Oz? And the SA team, are they touring too? 

We appear to have two tier teams, often run as ex-pat groups rather than being driven by the national governing bodies. How did the South Africa Test team come together for this? 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Damien said:

It certainly is a valid point. If as Big Picture says 14 of the 19 Brazil players took up the game in Brazil then that has a lot more credibility, despite the scoreline, than a team made up of loads of ex pats or people with tenuous links to South Africa.

I'm interested in details of the claim tbh. Are Brazil touring? 

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm interested in details of the claim tbh. Are Brazil touring? 

"Brazil, although outclassed, fielded 14 players born in the South American nation itself and flew in seven players especially for the game, with six only granted visas two days before they were due to fly."

https://www.intrl.sport/news/rhinos-on-the-charge-against-brazil/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Where did I moan about a game being played? 

There are 'international' games played every month in a park in Sydney by ex pat Aussies. It was a valid question about whether this was one of those or a genuine test match. Maybe I'll gather a few mates together and play an Ireland vs England International down my local park 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Where did I moan about a game being played? 

There are 'international' games played every month in a park in Sydney by ex pat Aussies. It was a valid question about whether this was one of those or a genuine test match. Maybe I'll gather a few mates together and play an Ireland vs England International down my local park 

I haven't had a run out in years but I'll take the number 4 jersey if you want! 

It is a valid question, I'd like to know if this is a sanctioned test match or just an exhibition game as well. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"Brazil, although outclassed, fielded 14 players born in the South American nation itself and flew in seven players especially for the game, with six only granted visas two days before they were due to fly."

https://www.intrl.sport/news/rhinos-on-the-charge-against-brazil/

Thanks, that is certainly a more positive approach to some of the matches played. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Good to see more internationals being played. Does the South Africa national team have any competitions it enters? (I see that Brazil are in the South America Championships).

From memory (I may be wrong) I’m sure they will play an MEA competition next year as part of World Cup qualifying.

South Africa, Lebanon & MEA Championship winner (Nigeria, Morocco, Ghana, Cameroon) 

• Like 2