Ellery hanley-is he a good coach

Ive never really been convinced by ellery, as a coach although he was a great player. 

He can make some baffling statements on occasion

Edited by The storm

I think Ellery is utterly amazing. The answer to your question is Yes - his record speaks for itself.

I hope I’m alive at 61 let alone look 1/3 as good as he does now !

• Thanks 1

His one year St Helens saw him win the league, have open rows with the board leading to fan sit-ins, getting suspended and almost selling Cunningham for a Hunslet hooker whose name escapes me. And then getting sacked after 1 game in the 2000 season!

Not sure about his ability - but it was certainly fun!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The storm said:

Ive never really been convinced by ellery, as a coach although he was a great player. 

He can make some baffling statements on occasion

1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

I think Ellery is utterly amazing. The answer to your question is Yes - his record speaks for itself.

I hope I’m alive at 61 let alone look 1/3 as good as he does now !

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

Hard to know, he has only coached two seasons at club level and 4 games at rep level, and only one game in the last 14 years. Rep level isn't really comparable anyway.

9 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

His one year St Helens saw him win the league, have open rows with the board leading to fan sit-ins, getting suspended and almost selling Cunningham for a Hunslet hooker whose name escapes me. And then getting sacked after 1 game in the 2000 season!

Not sure about his ability - but it was certainly fun!

It's certainly no surprise that Ellery isn't in much demand as a coach

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

How do you know that? I have always been under the impression that he has been in the great position of being able to pick and choose what roles he wants to take. I suspect he would have made an awful lot of money from the game and short term roles here and there suit him perfectly.

Edited by Damien

12 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

As I posted on another thread,I think he’d be perfect for the England setup,not saying as head coach but maybe with the Academy/Knights.

He was asked about his future last week and said he hadn't looked further than one game. What do he do outside RL?

6 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

He was asked about his future last week and said he hadn't looked further than one game. What do he do outside RL?

No idea but with the current abysmal International program,he’d still have plenty of time to do them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

How do you know that? Are you his agent? Some people on here don't half talk sh**e 

Edited by The Daddy
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

Look at his past history.

Give me a list of clubs that have approached him to be their head coach

That information isn't in the public realm most player and coaching offers are not made public until the actual appointment 

Just now, The Daddy said:

That information isn't in the public realm most player and coaching offers are not made public until the actual appointment 

Cop out on your part.

If he had been approached about being a head coach in recent years we would have heard about it. It would have been in the public domain. His antics at Saints showed that a Super League club or an NRL club would have given him a wide berth.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

Is Hanley a good coach

"Absolutely!"

I dont think there is enough evidence to suggest hanley is a good coach. 

The evidence is indeed that he is not a great coach

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, The Daddy said:

How do you know that? Are you his agent? Some people on here don't half talk sh**e 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

-St Helens

-Doncaster

-Salford as Director of Rugby, until I Harris decided he didn't want to work with him

2 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Wasn't he also player/coach at Leeds and GB coach?

He was assistant at Leeds and yes GB head coach when we lost the '94 series (Gary Hetherington was his assistant).

20 hours ago, Scubby said:

Is Hanley a good coach

"Absolutely!"

His history would suggest otherwise. A good coach needs more than just a good understanding of the game (which he undoubtedly has). His management style and communication abilities clearly are not great, not as a club coach anyway. While that Saints team won trophies he was unable to build a rapport with the players (or the club board or fans), leading to fan protests and a player revolt. Its no secret that several of the top players at the club at that time gave the club an ultimatum of either Hanley or them.

He'll always be remembered as one of the all time great players, but coaching just doesn't suit him.

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions