Sat 16th-Sun 17th Jul: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

1 hour ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Thought all things considered it was one of our better performances Jon. Playing well at 12 - 0, then try a kick through on their 20 metre line and their centre goes 80 metres. Craven comes back on after his head knock and boots it out on the full, two minutes later it's 12 - 12. Must admit I didn't fancy us when they got back to 26 all but thought they stuck in well in those last 10 minutes.

Yes, until the Halsall intercept try, it was all one-way traffic and it was looking like a big Widnes win. We recovered from that, again had all the play and looked like winning easily, then the Lawton sending off brought it all back level. 

Thunder might point to the number of players they lost to injury. It must've been difficult managing substitutions in the high temperature. Couple of their younger players impressed. I reckon Sam Halsall is ready to step up to SL with Wigan, and Gideon Boafo caught the eye a few times, he seems to have got bigger since he was at London.

4 hours ago, tim2 said:

It's chuffing roasting in Sheffield and the Eagles are 22-12 up at half time.

That is two second half capitulations by Sheffield Eagles,after the loss to London last week.

There isn't going to be wholesale changes for another season,is there?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Yes, until the Halsall intercept try, it was all one-way traffic and it was looking like a big Widnes win. We recovered from that, again had all the play and looked like winning easily, then the Lawton sending off brought it all back level. 

Thunder might point to the number of players they lost to injury. It must've been difficult managing substitutions in the high temperature. Couple of their younger players impressed. I reckon Sam Halsall is ready to step up to SL with Wigan, and Gideon Boafo caught the eye a few times, he seems to have got bigger since he was at London.

We're lucky to have Halsall but he definitely deserves some game time with Wigan. I listened on the radio today and it seemed like a complete contrast to last week we started slowly and you guys deserved your win today. We are consistently inconsistent, i was hoping we could use last week to kick on but it didn't happen.

On 13/07/2022 at 19:45, crashmon said:

London to run Bradford close, but in the end lose by 6-12 points, Sheffield to beat Barrow, apart from that the other games easy to predict

Bang on.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

That is two second half capitulations by Sheffield Eagles,after the loss to London last week.

There isn't going to be wholesale changes for another season,is there?

Well, there's no Thackeray next season so the game plan will be different. Fundamantally the team can play - just not for 80 minutes. Is that their fault? The training regime? Confidence?

Where are Sheffield realistically expecting to finish, given their budget and thin squad? I would have thought that with a full season at the new ground they should be targeting higher than halfway up the league, but without Thackeray it will be a challenge.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Well, there's no Thackeray next season so the game plan will be different. Fundamantally the team can play - just not for 80 minutes. Is that their fault? The training regime? Confidence?

Where are Sheffield realistically expecting to finish, given their budget and thin squad? I would have thought that with a full season at the new ground they should be targeting higher than halfway up the league, but without Thackeray it will be a challenge.

Some player Thackery,been Sheffield's best .

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

They want top 8.

With 1 & 2 sewn up this year that leaves 8 clubs fighting over 6 places. You could argue Barrow and Batley are punching above their weight but other than that its a very competitive division.

Who knows next year if the loser of Fev vs Leigh continues again or implodes and how the relegated side performs.

24 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They want top 8.

With 1 & 2 sewn up this year that leaves 8 clubs fighting over 6 places. You could argue Barrow and Batley are punching above their weight but other than that its a very competitive division.

Who knows next year if the loser of Fev vs Leigh continues again or implodes and how the relegated side performs.

Honest question - if Toulouse are relegated, will they bother to try again or rely on some kind of restructure rather than trying to outpsend Fev/Leigh?

Batley and Barrow are definitely doing better than expected - they have their own grounds and spend their money very sensibly. If Sheffield were where those two are I'd be more than happy.

York and Fax are interesting cases as to where they want to, or could, end up. Are Fax effectively punching above their weight or should we expect them to eb a top 4 Champ side? Are York serious about SL ambition?

If this were football we wouldn't worry about it, we'd just let the normal ebb and flow of P&R happen. But this is rugby league and there are real consequences related to not being in Super League. It's what makes structuring the sport nearly as difficult as solving the Irish border problem. Note that RU also has this issue - there are teams like Ealing who have the cash but thier ground isn;t up to it. Similarly Cornish pirates, who have a great tradition and would really expand the footprint of the sport. But the RFU has decided that having a shiny ground trumps cash and tradition.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

46 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They want top 8.

Top is sewn up. 2nd is very much still in play.  Wouldn't be at all shocked if Halifax nabbed 2nd on the last weekend of the regular season.

2 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Top is sewn up. 2nd is very much still in play.  Wouldn't be at all shocked if Halifax nabbed 2nd on the last weekend of the regular season.

I think that is going to be very tough for us to do, if I remember we would need to go unbeaten and Fev would need to lose 3. I can see us going unbeaten as a possibility but assuming Fev lose to Leigh and the Fax game they would need to lose another and even though they seem to be misfiring, I just don't see anyone been able to nick a win from them.

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think that is going to be very tough for us to do, if I remember we would need to go unbeaten and Fev would need to lose 3. I can see us going unbeaten as a possibility but assuming Fev lose to Leigh and the Fax game they would need to lose another and even though they seem to be misfiring, I just don't see anyone been able to nick a win from them.

Don't worry, McDoughnut will conjure up an abject performance or four that will achieve Halifax's goal.

I should be happy we're second to a free-spending Leigh, but this has been the worst season as a fan since Feisal rode into town wearing flip-flops, driving a (rented) Bentley.

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Honest question - if Toulouse are relegated, will they bother to try again or rely on some kind of restructure rather than trying to outpsend Fev/Leigh?

Batley and Barrow are definitely doing better than expected - they have their own grounds and spend their money very sensibly. If Sheffield were where those two are I'd be more than happy.

York and Fax are interesting cases as to where they want to, or could, end up. Are Fax effectively punching above their weight or should we expect them to eb a top 4 Champ side? Are York serious about SL ambition?

If this were football we wouldn't worry about it, we'd just let the normal ebb and flow of P&R happen. But this is rugby league and there are real consequences related to not being in Super League. It's what makes structuring the sport nearly as difficult as solving the Irish border problem. Note that RU also has this issue - there are teams like Ealing who have the cash but thier ground isn;t up to it. Similarly Cornish pirates, who have a great tradition and would really expand the footprint of the sport. But the RFU has decided that having a shiny ground trumps cash and tradition.

From what I have heard, the louder Championship clubs might not want them back...

My friend was telling me that it is now great that they are back in Sheffield, but OLP is presenting its own problems. They can't put up an electronic scoreboard yet (which they have), because Scarborough Group aren't telling anyone what they are going to build next. Moreover, as part of the "legacy" aspect of the OLP, they can't serve chips or chocolate bars over a certain calorie count...

I suppose with Fax and York they are clubs with higher aspirations, and Fax in particular of course have a bit of history in the Top division. Batley and Barrow are in a peculiar scenario, like most clubs they are desperate to be in the top 8 just in case the 2x10 comes around and is decided by league position. However I think both are well aware that playing in Super League would destroy them potentially.

I agree, only football can really sustain relegation in the pro leagues, mainly because it is the only sport that can maintain fully professional 2nd 3rd 4th and even 5th divisions. I think we are heading to a point where the Professional game will be distinct from the semi pro game in the same way that it is currently separate from the amateur game. Each level can operate and do different things supporting eachother for the good of the sport overall - Union and Cricket are coming to that conclusion too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

I think you're being too pessemistic mate. I still think Leigh are favourites, your signings haven't been as good in the arms race, but both of you should be in the final.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

A lot will depend on the Bash fixture - after the LSV game Fev were battered and bruised, if something similar happens in Leeds then Fev have a few dodgy games to ride away to Widnes, Barrow, Sheffield and Fax. It could all depend on the Barrow game as to exactly whats at stake v Fax

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

A lot will depend on the Bash fixture - after the LSV game Fev were battered and bruised, if something similar happens in Leeds then Fev have a few dodgy games to ride away to Widnes, Barrow, Sheffield and Fax. It could all depend on the Barrow game as to exactly whats at stake v Fax

Could see fev resting quite a few for the bash , points difference is irrelevant 

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

They want top 8.

Exciting innit ? 😀

As ever it's on these descussions we see the hypocrisy , Wakey are criticised ( unfairly ) for treading water , doing the bare minimum basically ' existing ' , and the same posters are then saying this is what the Championship clubs should be happy to do , and their fans happy to follow them without ambition , except of course the ones they want , the Newcastle's , the York's , the London's , the Sheffield's , quite often the ones where not many actually go to watch them 

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Wanting to finish just in the bottom half of a league you have no chance of winning, riveting!

Do you think Leigh have any less a chance than Salford , CAS or the Giants ?

4 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Don't worry, McDoughnut will conjure up an abject performance or four that will achieve Halifax's goal.

I should be happy we're second to a free-spending Leigh, but this has been the worst season as a fan since Feisal rode into town wearing flip-flops, driving a (rented) Bentley.

I'm sorry David but that's so over the top. We're in 2nd place, admittedly our try line defence has been shocking but that has been down to individuals dropping off tackles and nothing to do with defensive structures. Just watch some of those Whitehaven tries one man committed the same mistake, that lead to 2 tries by the same Whitehaven player. You know I have to smile, when we were beating teams by blowout scores. Fans didn't want to see that as it was boring. We have close fought games and the attack is dire we can't score from our own half, we haven't players who play what's in front of them. Shouldn't have let Chizzy go. How many tries has Morgan Smith and Riley Jacks scored this season so far, and how have the majority of those been scored ? Calling McDermott names is childish at worst. Watch the interviews from yesterdays game, and come back and tell me those players don't care about their performance. As you see from my viewpoint my glass is half full. Having watched Fev for a long time, I can tell you of a lot of seasons worse than this. Rant over.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, wasginger said:

I'm sorry David but that's so over the top. We're in 2nd place, admittedly our try line defence has been shocking but that has been down to individuals dropping off tackles and nothing to do with defensive structures. Just watch some of those Whitehaven tries one man committed the same mistake, that lead to 2 tries by the same Whitehaven player. You know I have to smile, when we were beating teams by blowout scores. Fans didn't want to see that as it was boring. We have close fought games and the attack is dire we can't score from our own half, we haven't players who play what's in front of them. Shouldn't have let Chizzy go. How many tries has Morgan Smith and Riley Jacks scored this season so far, and how have the majority of those been scored ? Calling McDermott names is childish at worst. Watch the interviews from yesterdays game, and come back and tell me those players don't care about their performance. As you see from my viewpoint my glass is half full. Having watched Fev for a long time, I can tell you of a lot of seasons worse than this. Rant over.

Respect your view. I'm into my 39th year of supporting Rovers, so I'm quite used to the lows that make the highs so enjoyable.

We're just not very interesting to watch and there doesn't seem to be a team spirit this year. Teams that are playing for each other and the coach don't let in the number of soft tries we have this year.

I'm convinced there is something wrong at our club and that can only be solved by the leadership. I don't think McDermot is the man for the job.

• Like 1