Regan Grace replacement gossip

MC: Have you had time to run the rule over a replacement for Regan Grace yet?

KW: We have had a look at what may or may not be available. And have looked in the market over here and will look in the market in Australia as well.

What we are also going to be is a be extremely patient in getting the right player. We do have to replace Regan – there is no doubt that we need to bring a player in to make sure we continue our success and keep strong going forward.

We need to replace him with quality and are not going to rush out and get someone who does not quite fit, be that footy wise and class wise or someone who does not fit into the ethos of our group as a person.

We are going to be patient and have a fair bit of time until the season starts – it is such a fluid sort of market these days where what is available now may not be the case in a month or two.

We have the ability to be patient and know that we have good players who can fill voids if needs be – but we are on the lookout to bring someone in.

Woolf confirmed in his last interview Saints are definitely looking to bring someone in.

We do get quite a lot from this though;

a) anyone currently potentially available isn’t likely to be the answer (which to me kills the Ritson rumours)

b) the specificity of “one to two months” definitely links in with relegation so we may be looking at someone from a relegation threatened club (Lewis Murphy at Wakefield maybe?)

c) the fact he makes a point that we are also looking through Australia suggests one of Bell or Hopoate won’t be with us next year as we currently don’t have the non fed spots to bring a winger from Aus.

Edited by Magic Superbeetle
  • Like 2

Well that will depend on who the new coach wants to bring in  but i have heard from someone at the club there have been discussions around a winger currently in France that may want to come back to the West of the Penines.  Watch this space as they say

10 hours ago, bobbruce said:

The rumour I’ve heard is Adam Swift coming back from Hull. Not massively inspiring but he won’t let anyone down. 

Replacing the player who usurped Swift from team with the player Grace kept out of the side would be a peculiar move. 

17 hours ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Woolf confirmed in his last interview Saints are definitely looking to bring someone in.

a) anyone currently potentially available isn’t likely to be the answer (which to me kills the Ritson rumours)

b) the specificity of “one to two months” definitely links in with relegation so we may be looking at someone from a relegation threatened club (Lewis Murphy at Wakefield maybe?)

c) the fact he makes a point that we are also looking through Australia suggests one of Bell or Hopoate won’t be with us next year as we currently don’t have the non fed spots to bring a winger from Aus.

It’d have to be Bell he’s surplus to requirements, Saints have quite a few decent second rowers. He hasn’t been able too knock Batchelor or Sironen from the starting second row spots. 

2 minutes ago, Josef K said:

It’d have to be Bell he’s surplus to requirements, Saints have quite a few decent second rowers. He hasn’t been able too knock Batchelor or Sironen from the starting second row spots. 

I'm surprised Saints haven't given Bell a go at halfback considering the struggles since Dodd got injured to be honest. Keeps Welsby and Roby in their best positions and saves throwing youngsters in at the deep end.

20 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I'm surprised Saints haven't given Bell a go at halfback considering the struggles since Dodd got injured to be honest. Keeps Welsby and Roby in their best positions and saves throwing youngsters in at the deep end.

He's a 13 all day long , but I agree it's better to change one than mess about with a system , I'm hoping we have Asiata signed up , if not I'd have Bell back in a flash 

Next year, our first choice 1 to 7 will be:

Welsby, Makinson, Hopoate, Percival, ????, Lomax, Dodd

We have Hurrell, Bennison, Davies and Hill as back ups (assuming Simm leaves). I wonder if we would be better using our cap space better than signing a replacement.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

He's a 13 all day long , but I agree it's better to change one than mess about with a system , I'm hoping we have Asiata signed up , if not I'd have Bell back in a flash 

Asiata was signed on a 2 year deal, providing we make superleague. Although from the recent podcast Derek did he seemed confident he was stay next year regardless

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

We have Hurrell, Bennison, Davies and Hill as back ups (assuming Simm leaves). I wonder if we would be better using our cap space better than signing a replacement.

First choice: Welsby Makinson Hurrell Percival ???? Lomax Dodd Walmsley Lussick Lees Mata’utia Batchelor Knowles Roby* Sironen Paasi LMS*

Backup: Hopoate Bennison Hill Davies Martyn Moss Archer** Norman Pemberton* Wingfield Sumner Royle Bell Nolan** Buckley Baxter Delaney

*Assuming they resign, if not they will need replacing like for like

**Yet to make their SL debut

Anyway, the pub talk is we have offered French a big deal, but Wigan have offered a longer deal. Not sure I believe it, but crazier things have happened

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

First choice: Welsby Makinson Hurrell Percival ???? Lomax Dodd Walmsley Lussick Lees Mata’utia Batchelor Knowles Roby* Sironen Paasi LMS*

Backup: Hopoate Bennison Hill Davies Martyn Moss Archer** Norman Pemberton* Wingfield Sumner Royle Bell Nolan** Buckley Baxter Delaney

*Assuming they resign, if not they will need replacing like for like

**Yet to make their SL debut

Anyway, the pub talk is we have offered French a big deal, but Wigan have offered a longer deal. Not sure I believe it, but crazier things have happened

Im by no means a Saints fan but id absolutely love to see that.  Would be huge news and give the game in general a boost as well. 

Plus the meltdown from your nearest and dearest would be astronomical and would make great viewing!!!

23 hours ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Would be interesting to see how Murphy would progress at Saints.  Potentially as good as Tom Johnston.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

42 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Woah! First I've heard of it! Would be a shock but an immense signing if we pull it off!

4 hours ago, Chris22 said:

I hope Davies is not shoved onto the wing.