IMG - Thought's, suggestions and comments to move the game forward

3 minutes ago, Colin James said:

Wasn't the whole point of Super League to do that nearly 30 years ago?

Sort of.  But you can't just create a team called Paris and expect them to compete with Wigan and Co. with no foundations. It was a terribly flawed execution. 

Just now, gingerjon said:

And a serious answer: I won't be, and I suspect a lot of people also wouldn't be, because it really would feel like a travelling roadshow then and who wants to commit too much to that?

9s has already failed as a vehicle for new audiences.

Failed? It's never been sold as something for new audiences has it?

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's the bit that appeals to me. 

North West

Yorks

London

France

Wales

Cumbria

South (non-London,  maybe Cornwall) 

Scotland

If they don't work,  move them. Far easier than re-launchibg 100 year old clubs. 

Precisely.  All new franchises set up from scratch, just as I have in mind.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

And a serious answer: I won't be, and I suspect a lot of people also wouldn't be, because it really would feel like a travelling roadshow then and who wants to commit too much to that?

9s has already failed as a vehicle for new audiences.

80 minute game of RL,  40 mins women,  40 mins men.  Toss decides order.  Try out whatever experimental rules we want. Mixed RL would be interesting to me.

I think something like this could be worth looking at. 

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

Precisely.  All new franchises set up from scratch, just as I have in mind.

It may become a natural test bed for new clubs.  Like Cornwall for example. If they can become big there,  they make a bid to join SL. 

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The survey is embarrassing and totally pointless same old questions sadly:( Nothing will change.

In reality we need a  10 team Super League  call it what you want personally i would do a deal to license the NRL brand NRL Europe (Vibrant Championship  league underneath) New franchise applications every 3/5 years.

* 18 matches (Quality ones) + 1 extra match with a draw Home team if they win only get 1 point away team 2 (Equals things up) 

* Play offs and Final

* NRL v NRL Europe Origin match every year

* All franchises to run Academy Women's and Wheelchair

* Tests set in stone after the Grand Final

Cost to get this going around 500 Million for security clubs to receive 5 years upfront of 25 Million each

* 6 teams from the traditional areas + Franchise  in London + Catalans Dragons and Toulouse + 1 more 

* Draft 

Before you all fall off your stools the NY Giants is currently valued at 4.85 Billion US$ for a serious American investor this is peanuts.

The money is out there just needs sourcing.

Watch the game fly after this lets hope it happens before we all end up in a lead box miserable as hell drinking warm Tetley's:)

Yes money is out there.

Unfortunately though, a half measure like what you describe there has no chance of attracting that money, none at all.

Edited by Big Picture

Just now, Man of Kent said:

A summer RL 9s comp with a draft is surely worth a go.

Make it worth the players’ while, backed by sponsorship (ie Betfred 😜).

Definitely, it's weirdly low risk. You can have a club that's effectively a logo and a contract to rent a stadium and then just draft quality players in for a month each year. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

4 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

What we have her is 12 teams out of the 37 being kept in the top league because they are each given almost £2Million each that is 1.8Million more each than each the bottom 11 teams.

I wish we did receive £2million minus £1.8million DP.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

80 minute game of RL,  40 mins women,  40 mins men.  Toss decides order.  Try out whatever experimental rules we want. Mixed RL would be interesting to me.

I think something like this could be worth looking at. 

Why there isn't a trophy for the combined top club, which is simple to do, and tough on those who don't have a women's team as that's on them, is beyond me as a simple thing.

2 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Failed? It's never been sold as something for new audiences has it?

I may be misremembering but I thought the whole point of that nonsense a decade or so ago - midweek evenings filled with the joys of 9s - was meant to be about attracting people who maybe couldn't stomach a whole game?

God knows.

I remain to be convinced. I just don't see it as rugby league *enough* to be worth the time and effort creating.

The Hundred is a loss-making, audience-losing, bundle of awful-ness but it is still recognisably and obviously cricket. Five-a-side is not football.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Definitely, it's weirdly low risk. You can have a club that's effectively a logo and a contract to rent a stadium and then just draft quality players in for a month each year. 

But this is why I don't think 9s works in this case.

It's a roadshow.

Your team with a logo and a wotnot rents the stadium *once* and then moves on to the next stadium where a nines evening is taking place.

That's not good enough. You need to connect more deeply and more often than that.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

It could be really good. Presumably you’d have rounds at grounds like Headingley and the Halliwell Jones.

The debates about who is valued at how much would be great fun. 

2 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Why there isn't a trophy for the combined top club, which is simple to do, and tough on those who don't have a women's team as that's on them, is beyond me as a simple thing.

Another excellent idea and would get fans at least interested in their women's teams results.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I may be misremembering but I thought the whole point of that nonsense a decade or so ago - midweek evenings filled with the joys of 9s - was meant to be about attracting people who maybe couldn't stomach a whole game?

God knows.

I remain to be convinced. I just don't see it as rugby league *enough* to be worth the time and effort creating.

The Hundred is a loss-making, audience-losing, bundle of awful-ness but it is still recognisably and obviously cricket. Five-a-side is not football.

I remember the British Coal 9s from decades ago but nothing more recent at pro level in the UK.

Anyway, I do differ from you in so far as I think 9s is recognisably RL. Perhaps one reason for that is that we are sometimes short of players in junior RL down here and end up playing 9-, 10-, 11-a-side fairly often and it always looks and feels like RL to me.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

How do we know that teams would play their youngsters? Wouldn’t there be an onus to make it a commercial success? 

Because that's what has happened before. Clubs will not risk play off places or relegation for a meaningless nines tournament. 

To be a success you are essentially asking the game to give up one or more free weekends. Commetcially clubs could make much more from extra games and the game could get much more from more internationals. 

If they bothered to make a Nines event an event, like they need to do with Magic but haven’t bothered to, and incorporated live music, entertainment, fan zones you actually wouldn’t be embarrassed about being caught on TV at and created a buzz around the event and the weekend, I’d be tempted to go to it but only if it was the existing clubs or international sides. I have no interest in made up franchises. That said, if they just did the above for Magic, I wouldn’t bother with any 9s or whatever. 

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Similar concept to cricket. 

Draft/auction from Pro pool. 

Yes right good luck with that, Can you see clubs releasing their star players for this. Best you will get is fringe players and juniors and mainly lower leagues

3 hours ago, Cougarmaniac said:

I increasingly believe the SL should be separated from the Champs/L1 on a straight pro/semi-pro split. Hand out licences if you must. Dabble with expansion if you must. But don't neglect the semi-pro clubs who need an independent, and above all, fair competition with a tangible reward. Why can't the Champs/L1 emulate the NCL - six different winners in the last six completed seasons, and I don't see anyone from West Hull bemoaning that the fact that their imminent title victory is tarnished by not being able to earn promotion to mix with the might of Cornwall and West Wales next season. Develop and brand the semi-pro second-tier as a stand-alone entity, and let the SL, and any aspirations thereof, look after itself.

yes and take all the sky money with them = they have 80+% of it now.

BUT when sky eventually pulls the plug on the cash,

tell them they cant come crawling back