IMG - Thought's, suggestions and comments to move the game forward

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Argyle was, was then, and still is, a a Billionaire........

He had then, and still has now the personal ability to pay up.......

Your article proves nothing..........

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

The majority of my swear words were on the same issue.

If completing a survey gets you that wound up that you need to swear when providing feedback i fear for you mental health.  Id suggest seeing a doctor, maybe some sort of anger management course could help.  Its ok not to be ok .

49 minutes ago, phiggins said:

The questions read to me as if they are leaning towards 2 10s and restructuring the Challenge Cup to include a group stage to top up the fixtures. 

You know that thing about not learning from history and being doomed to repeat it?

I present as case for the prosecution "The Group Stages of the Northern Rail Cup"

Edited by tim2
  • Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

If completing a survey gets you that wound up that you need to swear when providing feedback i fear for you mental health.  Id suggest seeing a doctor, maybe some sort of anger management course could help.  Its ok not to be ok .

I'm just jesting. Calm down you Rager.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

30 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The survey is like a 'Now That's What I Call A Rugby League Restructure' TRL thread greatest hits compilation.

We now know for certain they are least considering:

• The Hundred style regional short-form comp
  • 2x10s with P&R
  • Champions League-style Challenge Cup
  • Ditching loop fixtures
  • The value of French clubs
  • More internationals
  • Some sort of UK Origin

No mention of licensing, unless you count The Hundred style city/regional teams as licences. 

• Terrible
  • Terrible
  • Terrible
  • Yes, if SL is 14 clubs
  • Clearly looking for reasons to dump them - is this survey reaching France and is there a Frnch language option?
  • Obviously, but against whom?
  • Worse than terrible

They would probably also like an excuse to lose West Wales, Cornwall, Midlands, Skolars and possibly Oldham and Doncaster. But maybe I'm being paranoid.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 minutes ago, tim2 said:

You know that thing about not learning from history and being doomed to repeat it?

I present as case for the prosecution "The Group Stages of the Northern Rail Cup"

To be honest, given the early rounds of the Challenge Cup, I wouldn't be completely against creating a group stage. Just have it early season, where it act as a step between pre-season and the start of the league season. 

Nobody really cares about it until the semi finals anyway, and we don't even sell the semis out.

5 minutes ago, phiggins said:

To be honest, given the early rounds of the Challenge Cup, I wouldn't be completely against creating a group stage. Just have it early season, where it act as a step between pre-season and the start of the league season. 

Nobody really cares about it until the semi finals anyway, and we don't even sell the semis out.

Yes, but if the idea is that these replace the missing loop fixtures, be prepared for a drastic drop in revenue.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

The survey is like a 'Now That's What I Call A Rugby League Restructure' TRL thread greatest hits compilation.

We now know for certain they are least considering:

• The Hundred style regional short-form comp
  • 2x10s with P&R
  • Champions League-style Challenge Cup
  • Ditching loop fixtures
  • The value of French clubs
  • More internationals
  • Some sort of UK Origin

No mention of licensing, unless you count The Hundred style city/regional teams as licences. 

It's not surprising that these things should be asked about.  They are the things that IMG will have heard from owners and the RFL so far,  and they will have heard criticism from fans.  So trying to get data to support it instead of a view from a bitter coach when they lose a game,  or perpetually negative noisy fans is sensible. 

The positioning of the 2 x 10 structure is odd,  as it doesn't really give any benefits of it,  so why would anyone vote favourable?  It suggests it isn't really a contender and it makes it easy for IMG to prove to clubs it is a no-no. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, phiggins said:

It could work, although you'd probably want a couple of rounds to allow the amateur teams to get knocked out by League 1 teams otherwise you're putting these teams in a group with St. Helens. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The positioning of the 2 x 10 structure is odd,  as it doesn't really give any benefits of it,  so why would anyone vote favourable?  It suggests it isn't really a contender and it makes it easy for IMG to prove to clubs it is a no-no. 

I'm sure it'll be unpopular. 

If IMG was to go with the majority view, we'd probably see a larger Super League with no loop fixtures with perhaps a 'Hundred' comp to fill the gap. 

I've just done the survey.

1. My county, Wrexham, wasn't even listed in the drop-down, although our neighbours Flintshire and Denbighshire are!

2. The county where my team, North Wales Crusaders play, Conwy, wasn't listed either.

3. My club Wheelchair RL team, North Wales Crusaders, wasn't listed in the list of Wheelchair Super League teams.

4. There was virtually no opportunity to emphasise how valued League 1 is and the contribution it makes to semi-pro rugby league.

5. It didn't ask what contribution I make as a volunteer (Wheelchair RL) or as a player (Masters RL)

It doesn't give me any faith that as a rugby league supporter, volunteer and player, living in Wales but within the RFL structure my opinion is valued.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I'm sure it'll be unpopular. 

If IMG was to go with the majority view, we'd probably see a larger Super League with no loop fixtures with perhaps a 'Hundred' comp to fill the gap. 

Yes,  just got round to completing it,  and didn't think it was that bad.  But I would agree with your view there.  And I don't think they'd be too far off.  

But the wider point for me is matchdays presentation,  scheduling,  sales,  merch,  commercial,  hospitality etc.  nail these and it improves the commercial performance under any structure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But the wider point for me is matchdays presentation,  scheduling,  sales,  merch,  commercial,  hospitality etc.  nail these and it improves the commercial performance under any structure. 

Despite the numerous structure changes we have, it’s always this side of things that continues to fail so is it really the on pitch offering that’s needed addressing countless times?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's not surprising that these things should be asked about.  They are the things that IMG will have heard from owners and the RFL so far,  and they will have heard criticism from fans.  So trying to get data to support it instead of a view from a bitter coach when they lose a game,  or perpetually negative noisy fans is sensible. 

Also, just saying "2x10" on its own without any explanation was worse than useless. How it would actually play out could vary vastly, depending on related decisions about minimum standards, closed shop to L1, loops or not, new competitions and more.

I wrote that I couldn't answer without more detail. 

Just now, Jughead said:

Despite the numerous structure changes we have, it’s always this side of things that continues to fail so is it really the on pitch offering that’s needed addressing countless times?

Nope.  As we've seen,  much of the World Cup looks great,  but then it is falling over with ticket prices,  promotion and terrible sales journeys on the site. Basics. 

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Yes, but if the idea is that these replace the missing loop fixtures, be prepared for a drastic drop in revenue.

Whatever structure is landed on, there'll be a valid argument against it, because there is no such thing as the perfect structure.

If the sport could identify what problems it was trying to solve, or what it was trying to achieve, they'd have a better chance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Toby Chopra said:

Also, just saying "2x10" on its own without any explanation was worse than useless.

Pretty much every question required a lot of foreknowledge and/or assumptions that were not answered by the questions or any context given.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

Also, just saying "2x10" on its own without any explanation was worse than useless. How it would actually play out could vary vastly, depending on related decisions about minimum standards, closed shop to L1, loops or not, new competitions and more.

I wrote that I couldn't answer without more detail. 

I gave a negative as any solution that is for 20 teams instead of the 30-odd is a no for me. 

I said more info needed for the Hundred style comp. 

1 minute ago, phiggins said:

Whatever structure is landed on, there'll be a valid argument against it, because there is no such thing as the perfect structure.

If the sport could identify what problems it was trying to solve, or what it was trying to achieve, they'd have a better chance.

This is always my challenge.  We need to be really,  really clear about what question we are answering. Otherwise,  it is guaranteed that we will get the wrong answer. 

4 hours ago, tim2 said:

It looked like something lashed together that will probably be ignored. I reckon I could have come up with a better survey and I'm not a professional.

It allowed people to say they wanted to simultaneously scrap the loop fixtures, play everyone home and away and have 10 teams in SL. That would be 18 games and financial ruin. Maybe they were trick questions to throw out anyone who put unworkable options.  

Before Cornwall come along the RFL were happy to run League one with  10 teams in - which was 18 games, they never bothered how that would affect their finances?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

Go back to normal draws and stop seeding SL teams.

The last 36 should be all the pro and semi pro teams.

Then you may get a change of winner as the big guns could meet early on instead of quarter finals?

9 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Before Cornwall come along the RFL were happy to run League one with  10 teams in - which was 18 games, they never bothered how that would affect their finances?

The biggest affect to L1 clubs finances was the whopping great 65% cut to central funding!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I gave a negative as any solution that is for 20 teams instead of the 30-odd is a no for me. 

I said more info needed for the Hundred style comp. 

2x10 would be the end of the sport. 

Totally meaninglesd serving a few rich clubs only

• Like 4