what would a kangaroos 2 team look like ?

ok - so we go on about the strength in depth the aussies have - so just for fun and am sure you will correct me when i am wrong - trying to think of a team of players that are unlikely to be selected or feature in the kangaoos starting line up  and what it could achieve against the other nations - help out where you can  and put them in to a team 

clint gutherson- zak lomax - bradman best- nicho hynes- matt burton -jack wighton- adam reynolds - marc nichols - rueben garrick - conner tracey -ben hunt- regan campell gillard - hudson young some starters there - can anyone form a formidable side of players unlikely to make the plane 

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• graveyard johnny changed the title to what would a kangaroos 2 team look like ?

Ok here goes.

If you assume to Ozzie backline will look like this

Tedesco

Addo Carr

Mitchel

Trbojevic (if fit)

Holmes

Munster

Cleary

Then just in the backs as a second string you have

Papenhauzen

Cobbo

Burton

Wighton

Gagai

Hynes

Cherry Evans

Then back up to the 2nd string you can throw in players like. 

Hunt

Reynolds

Cody Walker

Gutherson

Edwards

Crichton

Ponga

Suallii

Thats just 2 mins of the top of.my head.  There are undoubtedly more that ive missed.  

Im prepared to say all the players ive listed would get in the England side if they were English.   That shows you how strong they are.    However in the pack i dont think there is anywhere as much depth

• Like 2

Much the same as the first one but with different names , I should imagine, and team 3 wouldn't be alot different either.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

23 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Ok here goes.

Tedesco

Addo Carr

Mitchel

Trbojevic (if fit)

Holmes

Munster

Cleary

Papenhauzen

Cobbo

Burton

Wighton

Gagai

Hynes

Cherry Evans

Hunt

Reynolds

Cody Walker

Gutherson

Edwards

Crichton

Ponga

Suallii

Thats just 2 mins of the top of.my head.  There are undoubtedly more that ive missed.  

Im prepared to say all the players ive listed would get in the England side if they were English.   That shows you how strong they are.    However in the pack i dont think there is anywhere as much depth

would imagine cherry evans makes the plane if munster is selected

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

ok - so we go on about the strength in depth the aussies have - so just for fun and am sure you will correct me when i am wrong - trying to think of a team of players that are unlikely to be selected or feature in the kangaoos starting line up  and what it could achieve against the other nations - help out where you can  and put them in to a team 

clint gutherson- zak lomax - bradman best- nicho hynes- matt burton -jack wighton- adam reynolds - marc nichols - rueben garrick - conner tracey -ben hunt- regan campell gillard - hudson young some starters there - can anyone form a formidable side of players unlikely to make the plane 

The depth in the forwards is nowhere near as deep. IMO, a few nations can compete with them 8 to 13, including our boys in Blue (😤), England!

2 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Ok here goes.

Tedesco

Addo Carr

Mitchel

Trbojevic (if fit)

Holmes

Munster

Cleary

Papenhauzen

Cobbo

Burton

Wighton

Gagai

Hynes

Cherry Evans

Hunt

Reynolds

Cody Walker

Gutherson

Edwards

Crichton

Ponga

Suallii

Maybe 1 or 2 of those would scrape it onto the bench for Tonga, England or NZ, let's face it the 4th best team in the world on current display and the first team players need to go and prove they are the best, not just say they are because origin looks good on TV. 

They have only won 50% of games in recent times and having a list of good players does not mean they will play well together as a team which reflects in recent results.

Tonga may not be as good on paper but the heart and spirit they play with will see them past this collection of pri Madonnas

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Ok here goes.

Tedesco

Addo Carr

Mitchel

Trbojevic (if fit)

Holmes

Munster

Cleary

Papenhauzen

Cobbo

Burton

Wighton

Gagai

Hynes

Cherry Evans

Hunt

Reynolds

Cody Walker

Gutherson

Edwards

Crichton

Ponga

Suallii

Homes has just declared for the Cook Islands and Trbojevic won’t be fit. So that’s probably Wighton and Cobbo out of your second team to replace them. Plus Crichton and Suallii have both declared for Samoa

What these discussions show is that the Aussies have some real strength in some positions (full back) but weaker than I can remember in others.  Centre in particular is a weak area for the Aussies at the moment with the likes of Olam and Manu nailed on if they were Australian.

Front row is another.  Again, first choice is decent but if we are introducing the likes of Mark Nicholls as Kangaroo standard then the cupboard is pretty bare.

This idea that the Kangaroos would name 3 or 4 world class line ups comes from an era when circa 50% of the NRL (or Sydney / Brisbane comps) were not Pacific Island players.  There is depth in the NRL but it is New Zealand, Samoan, Tongan etc.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

Maybe 1 or 2 of those would scrape it onto the bench for Tonga, England or NZ, let's face it the 4th best team in the world on current display and the first team players need to go and prove they are the best, not just say they are because origin looks good on TV. 

They have only won 50% of games in recent times and having a list of good players does not mean they will play well together as a team which reflects in recent results.

Tonga may not be as good on paper but the heart and spirit they play with will see them past this collection of pri Madonnas

Someone, please, tell him he’s dreaming.

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Homes has just declared for the Cook Islands and Trbojevic won’t be fit. So that’s probably Wighton and Cobbo out of your second team to replace them. Plus Crichton and Suallii have both declared for Samoa

I expect Homes will turn out for Australia. It will take more than a half bit article jumping on Holmes’ potential eligibility for Cook Islands to convince me.

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Trbojevic is aiming to be fit for the finals if Manly make it and has stated he wants to play in the WC if selected, given the dearth of genuine centres alluded to above he would be an almost certainty for the Australia side even if he hasn't played much footy this season.

Suaalii hasn't made a public election yet either and went into Origin extended camp instead of playing in the mid-year test for Samoa, I wouldn't be surprised to see him bolt into the Australian squad.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I did say it was a 2 min job to come up with that list, and whilst i appreciate u taking the time to reply, pretty much everything u have stated is incorrect

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Oxford said:

Much the same as the first one but with different names , I should imagine, and team 3 wouldn't be alot different either.

As to their WC win probability; we'd need to get to about their seventh choice side before they became less than nailed on favourites with the bookies.

9 minutes ago, Oxford said:

As to their WC win probability; we'd need to get to about their seventh choice side before they became less than nailed on favourites with the bookies.

Go on then.  Name their 7th choice team.

Actually, no, name the 6th choice team as you say they would be nailed on favourites for the World Cup.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

23 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Actually, no, name the 6th choice team as you say they would be nailed on favourites for the World Cup.

Thing is , a country/club can be so strong they could name 20 teams , but you can only send one and you can only play 17 and that 17 can still lose on any given day . Or we wouldn’t bother taking an interest 

47 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I know Woolworths is a thing of the past but a pick'n'mix from:

Panthers

Cowboys

Sharks

Storm

Broncos

Eels

Rabbitohs

Roosters

Throw in Raiders and Manley

And there's still a few class palyers in the unmentioned sides.

For all the undoubted strength in depth that Australia have you can ultimately only play 13 players and have a matchday squad of 17. I have no doubt that their 6th choice team would annihilate England's 6th choice as the NRL just doesn't have the same drop in standard between the better players and worse. However I'd certainly back England, and several other teams too, against the 6th choice Australian team.

58 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I know Woolworths is a thing of the past but a pick'n'mix from:

Panthers

Cowboys

Sharks

Storm

Broncos

Eels

Rabbitohs

Roosters

Throw in Raiders and Manley

And there's still a few class palyers in the unmentioned sides.

A simple 'I don't know' would have been OK.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

A simple 'I don't know' would have been OK.

If you assume I don't know, that would be a natural conclusion.

26 minutes ago, Oxford said:

If you assume I don't know, that would be a natural conclusion.

OK then. Name their 6th choice side that would be nailed on favourites for the World Cup.