The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

19 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Slight tangent but does anyone remember the first player who managed to play for 2 professional clubs in the challenge cup in the same season?

In the mid-'80s a Finnish forward, Aleek Eebun played in the 1st round and quarter-finals (the team went on to win in the final)

This was a question in a rugby league quiz many moons ago now, but I don't even know if this is true as there is no evidence to back it up - we got this question wrong and missed out on a free round and meal at the pub - I still hold the grudge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Siwel14 said:

In the mid-'80s a Finnish forward, Aleek Eebun played in the 1st round and quarter-finals (the team went on to win in the final)

This was a question in a rugby league quiz many moons ago now, but I don't even know if this is true as there is no evidence to back it up - we got this question wrong and missed out on a free round and meal at the pub - I still hold the grudge.

The player I’m thinking of played in the prelim round which was before the deadline, then transferred and played for a different club in subsequent rounds. 

49 minutes ago, LeeF said:

The player I’m thinking of played in the prelim round which was before the deadline, then transferred and played for a different club in subsequent rounds. 

Just to add he played on the losing side in the preliminary round and went on to get a winner's medal.....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Gildart potentially to Leigh for the rest of the season..

I think this would be as good a signing as we can make, given we have no quota spots available. Would like to see another prop come in as well 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Some odd rumours doing the rounds at presnt.

The oddest rumour I’ve seen from one, maybe two, Salford fans on Twitter is Brierley to Leigh. Which is a move that I’m not sure would make sense for any party! 

IF Brierley goes to Leigh then if I'm a shareholder at Salford I would be very tempted to say that this is not what it said in the brochure, or if I'm Rowley I'd be very tempted to say goodnight Vienna to Messrs King and Blease.

6 minutes ago, DG70 said:

IF Brierley goes to Leigh then if I'm a shareholder at Salford I would be very tempted to say that this is not what it said in the brochure, or if I'm Rowley I'd be very tempted to say goodnight Vienna to Messrs King and Blease.

I’d be amazed if there was any substance to it. If Leigh were to pay a transfer fee for anyone, I struggle to see the logic in paying it for a 31 year old full back to compete with the 31 year old full back already at the club. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phiggins said:

The oddest rumour I’ve seen from one, maybe two, Salford fans on Twitter is Brierley to Leigh. Which is a move that I’m not sure would make sense for any party! 

It would work for this one man party Higgy, O'Brien is doing OK but he has not got the pace of Ryan which gives another dimension with the full back linking into the line, nor do I think he is a better ball distributor than Brierley.

Just my opinion, albeit you may disagree.

I would go as far to say Leigh have 4 more points in the board if Ryan was our FB with those two games v Salford at home.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It would work for this one man party Higgy, O'Brien is doing OK but he has not got the pace of Ryan which gives another dimension with the full back linking into the line, nor do I think he is a better ball distributor than Brierley.

Just my opinion, albeit you may disagree.

I would go as far to say Leigh have 4 more points in the board if Ryan was our FB with those two games v Salford at home.

Don't necessarily disagree with the comparison, and we do need some more pace in the team. But I'm not sure we should be spending a transfer fee on a 31 year old full back. I'd say a half back with a good kicking game and a stronger bench of forwards would be bigger priorities at the moment.

On 31/07/2023 at 10:11, phiggins said:

Don't necessarily disagree with the comparison, and we do need some more pace in the team. But I'm not sure we should be spending a transfer fee on a 31 year old full back. I'd say a half back with a good kicking game and a stronger bench of forwards would be bigger priorities at the moment.

A trade media pressurized to constantly generate copy, seems to be erm economical with the truth again.

Opinion masked as fact, doing "contacts" favours with placed stories and an equal elected myopia of real issues troubling the game.

It's not great Matt.

4 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

A trade media pressurized to constantly generate copy, seems to be erm economical with the truth again.

Opinion masked as fact, doing "contacts" favours with placed stories and an equal elected myopia of real issues troubling the game.

It's not great Matt.

The only Ryan Brierley story I've seen in trade media is to say Salford are talking to him about a new deal.

The rumours linking him with a move away that I saw, came from Salford fans on Twitter. Which is why I didn't think there was any substance to it.

Who's Matt?

11 minutes ago, Neil Monaghan said:

We need one 

We do, but I can't see us getting one though. Might've tried to pay a fee to sign Norman early, but that won't happen now. Not sure who is available that would be better than Wilde, who seems to be struggling to step up to the level himself. Unless a quota spot can be freed up.

13 minutes ago, phiggins said:

We do, but I can't see us getting one though. Might've tried to pay a fee to sign Norman early, but that won't happen now. Not sure who is available that would be better than Wilde, who seems to be struggling to step up to the level himself. Unless a quota spot can be freed up.

We have one in Ava, but don't want to play him !!  He's been a waste of money.

• Like 1